What Geology Has to Say About Building a 1,000-Mile Border Wall

There will be no uniform wall. Terrain, accessibility, geology and several other factors will dictate the type of barrier. There will be gaps where other security apparatus can be used or where it would be physically unlikely that humans or vehicles could tread.
That seems the most logical outcome but as we well know, politics has nothing to do with logic. For Trump, that would be a hard pill to swallow. Trump has sold his "big beautiful wall" as the ultimate answer to illegal entry across our southern boarder. I doubt he'll back down gracefully. What Trump will actually build will be determined by congress through budget allocations.

The Great Wall of China almost bankrupted China and played a part in the downfall of dynasties!

And yet, it was built. And the geology there is significantly more difficult than along our southern border.
The only similarity between the Great Wall and what Trump proposed is the name. The Great Wall had an average width of 22 feet and up 30 feet in some places. It was sold stone. The foundation was packed dirt. Cracks, settling and tilts were of no concern. A wall 35 feet high and 18 inches wide would be a far different situation.

It would seem to me a steel wall might be more practical than a concrete wall. It would of course be as ugly as shit, certain not Trump's beautiful wall and it would need constant maintenance.

The Great Wall of China almost bankrupted China and played a part in the downfall of dynasties!

And yet, it was built. And the geology there is significantly more difficult than along our southern border.
The only similarity between the Great Wall and what Trump proposed is the name. The Great Wall had an average width of 22 feet and up 30 feet in some places. It was sold stone. The foundation was packed dirt. Cracks, settling and tilts were of no concern. A wall 35 feet high and 18 inches wide would be a far different situation.

It would seem to me a steel wall might be more practical than a concrete wall. It would of course be as ugly as shit, certain not Trump's beautiful wall and it would need constant maintenance.

There are much better designs out there. Amazingly enough we have this thing called "technology", and wow, the things we can do these days compared to when the Great Wall was built. Hoooooey. It's like it's a different time!

If you're tired of reading political, sociological, and financial rhetoric about the Southern Boarder Wall, take a look at this article from the Smithsonian. I won't try to summarize it because it's too long and well written. It explains the process and problems building an 18 inch wide, 20 to 50 foot high rock/concrete wall a 1000 miles long on sand, loose dirt above bedrock 100 to 1000 feet below the surface.

What Geology Has to Say About Building a 1,000-Mile Border Wall | Science | Smithsonian

I would assume the building of the wall would deal more in the engineering field not geology. I've seen bridges laid across swamps a lot more challenging than putting up a fence in the desert.

If you're tired of reading political, sociological, and financial rhetoric about the Southern Boarder Wall, take a look at this article from the Smithsonian. I won't try to summarize it because it's too long and well written. It explains the process and problems building an 18 inch wide, 20 to 50 foot high rock/concrete wall a 1000 miles long on sand, loose dirt above bedrock 100 to 1000 feet below the surface.

What Geology Has to Say About Building a 1,000-Mile Border Wall | Science | Smithsonian

I would assume the building of the wall would deal more in the engineering field not geology. I've seen bridges laid across swamps a lot more challenging than putting up a fence in the desert.
Putting a wall in the desert is no problem but putting a wall through desert, sand dunes over a hundred feet deep, arroyos, rivers, mountains, Native America reservations, cities, and towns with the strength to withstand ramming with heavy equipment, climbers, tunneling, and dynamiting, without leaning like the Tower of Pisa, and not costing billions of dollars in maintenance is a not a simple task.

However, the most challenge part of building the wall is not being able to relocate to better terrain. The boarder wall can't be relocated to a better sight as we might do with a bridge or a building. It has to follow the boarder regardless of the problems.

Last edited:

Putting a wall in the desert is no problem but putting a wall through desert, sand dunes over a hundred feet deep, arroyos, rivers, mountains, Native America reservations, cities, and towns with the strength to withstand ramming with heavy equipment, climbers, tunneling, and dynamiting, without leaning like the Tower of Pisa, and not costing billions of dollars in maintenance is a not a simple task.

However, the most challenge part of building the wall is not being able to relocate to better terrain. The boarder wall can't be relocated to a better sight as we might do with a bridge or a building. It has to follow the boarder regardless of the problems.
If we can build across swaps and I know we can because I have been on jobs that havem we can build across a desert.

If we can build across swaps and I know we can because I have been on jobs that havem we can build across a desert.
Of course you can build a wall across a swamp, desert, sand dunes, arroyas, mountains, wet lands, and urban areas which all exist on our southern boarder. It just depends on how much money and time you want to allocate to the project.

Trump has compared his wall to the West Bank Wall. As of 2015, the West Bank Wall was 85% complete. Construction began in 2002. Assuming a completion date in 2017, the 448 mile barrier will have taken 15 years including 2 years of work stoppage. Trump's 1,000 mile wall segment would take 29 years to complete at the rate it took the Israelis to complete their wall. However, there are conditions that exist in US that do not exist in Israel such as 2/3 of the land which includes tribal land needed for the wall is in private hands of over 200 land owners, all of which must be acquired through eminent domain procedures. Also, the terrain of the West Bank Wall is nearly uniform compared the US boarder. Finally support for the building of the wall has continued through changes in control of government because the Israel government is controlled through coalitions which is very unlikely in the US. About the only way the wall would be completed, would be continuous control of government by Republicans for decades which has never occurred.

Hadrian built a wall too.

Do Progressives even wonder why they fail 100% of the time?

China's Great Wall is doing just fine.

Maybe they (astronauts) will be able to see DJT's Great Wall Of Mexico from space too ?!

Hadrian built a wall too.

Do Progressives even wonder why they fail 100% of the time?
Hadrian did not do as good a job as the Chinese.

And the Chinese haven't again developed this level of quality production ever since.

Right now all Chinese exports are cheap and crappy.

Those ancient Chinese obviously didn't get the memo...

leftist douchebags are so fucking stupid.

They hear "wall" and they insist it has to be a uniform, traditional barrier or else TRUMP IS LYING AND IT CAN'T BE DONE!

What retards.
In his executive order he calls for a "physical wall", not a figurative wall and not a fence. The time lime for planning is 180 days from the date of the EO, which includes the topographical survey and thus a geological survey, which experts have estimated as requiring 5 years.

Shut the fuck up, you moron.

Those of us who have actually built fence because we're not flap handed, lazy dumbasses like you, realize that the terrain dictates the type of structure.

Though if you guys keep whining on this particular point, I could see Trump blasting his way across the landscape, using nukes, if necessary, to facilitate the building of a wall that you can see from the moon. We're a month into his presidency. You think we can't slap a wall up if we decide to? REALLY?

What do you know about how the first railroads cut across our country? Because if that could happen 150 years ago, this can happen now.
The detractors of the walls feasability, fall into two categories. The "flagrantly dishonest", and the "fucking dumber than a bag of hammers", categories

The great wall of china was tremendously effective. So was Hadrian's wall (ancient Rome).

As have been walls around every great city...walls kept the muslims out of France when they first tried to invade Europe. The invasion then was ultimately unsuccessful, arguably because of the walls.

The Berlin wall was a monument to effective border protection. It kept people out on one side, and in on the other.

Spain and Morocco have a wall between them....why no caterwauling?

150827123231-trump-world-walls-morocco-cueta-exlarge-169.jpg
I see, Spain and Morocco have a wall between them? LOL Kosher, you are even stupider today than usual. LOL
data=RfCSdfNZ0LFPrHSm0ublXdzhdrDFhtmHhN1u-gM,UjWUfCcnOcUitekn6F0DJkalrejPvc2Hr0icXO_7MddVq8emUVD1q2tAS9Qd2YEr-ZarK9Ylfy1LEEEVJAghGCFIcamwVmbr0ojVQvazyMhh

Then you are a dumb ass. Dams and buildings have failed because of engineers having that attitude.

Of course you can build a wall across a swamp, desert, sand dunes, arroyas, mountains, wet lands, and urban areas which all exist on our southern boarder. It just depends on how much money and time you want to allocate to the project.

Trump has compared his wall to the West Bank Wall. As of 2015, the West Bank Wall was 85% complete. Construction began in 2002. Assuming a completion date in 2017, the 448 mile barrier will have taken 15 years including 2 years of work stoppage. Trump's 1,000 mile wall segment would take 29 years to complete at the rate it took the Israelis to complete their wall. However, there are conditions that exist in US that do not exist in Israel such as 2/3 of the land which includes tribal land needed for the wall is in private hands of over 200 land owners, all of which must be acquired through eminent domain procedures. Also, the terrain of the West Bank Wall is nearly uniform compared the US boarder. Finally support for the building of the wall has continued through changes in control of government because the Israel government is controlled through coalitions which is very unlikely in the US. About the only way the wall would be completed, would be continuous control of government by Republicans for decades which has never occurred.
Not only that, after the dustup at Standing Rock, it is doubtful that the tribes are going to give their permission for a wall across their land.

Forum List

Back