What explains the ingenuity of Nordic people

DennyO

Dec 31, 2013
I just came back from a trip to Scotland, and one thing that impressed me was how industrious the people were in their history. From this small country, possessed of such meager resources and harsh climate, has come so much in the way of discovery, invention and business smarts.

I remember many years ago in history class in Canada learning that those of Scottish descent, though they numbered about 20% of the population, controlled close to half of the wealth of Canada at the close of the 19th century. You can see much of the same in the United States, though on a smaller scale as its Scottish population was less in percentage terms. People like Andrew Carnegie and Alexander Graham Bell for instance.

It makes me think that the northern countries are the most severe examples of the "survival of the fittest" theory. It is the only logical reason that one can point to as to why Scotland (or Scandinavia for that matter) is a more prosperous today than practically all of the African countries that have so much more in the way of a comfortable climate, fertile land and mineral wealth.

The climate in Scotland is considered temperate. Like much of the former British empire Scotland has fallen on hard times and the crime rate in the capital city is shocking. The offshore oil platforms are the only things that keep the island from sinking.

Scots are not Nordic.

True, my mistake in capitalizing that word, I was using it in the more generic sense of northern. Also, the Celts do happen to have a strong mix of Norse in their genetic make-up, from Viking influence.

While the Scots are quite similar to the Irish in their geneology, the Scots have shown a much higher degree of accomplishment in mathematics and the sciences. Possibly some affect of their more Protetstant influences?

It seems both Irish and Scottish have prospered well in the New World.

I just came back from a trip to Scotland, and one thing that impressed me was how industrious the people were in their history. From this small country, possessed of such meager resources and harsh climate, has come so much in the way of discovery, invention and business smarts.

I remember many years ago in history class in Canada learning that those of Scottish descent, though they numbered about 20% of the population, controlled close to half of the wealth of Canada at the close of the 19th century. You can see much of the same in the United States, though on a smaller scale as its Scottish population was less in percentage terms. People like Andrew Carnegie and Alexander Graham Bell for instance.

It makes me think that the northern countries are the most severe examples of the "survival of the fittest" theory. It is the only logical reason that one can point to as to why Scotland (or Scandinavia for that matter) is a more prosperous today than practically all of the African countries that have so much more in the way of a comfortable climate, fertile land and mineral wealth.

We get it... you like Scots.

Why do nations suddenly come out of the dark and become (for a brief time) masters of technology?

We've seen this happen in other nations and regions, as well, so if you imagine this kind of event is unique to Nordic people, you're deluding yourself ~ probably as a form of conceit.

But certainly the SCOTS have done much to define our modern world.

Their contributions to the development modern central banking (especially during the 18th and 19th century) and economic philosophy are tremendous.

It was a Scot for example, that created the Louisiana Bubble that destroyed the French economy, leading to the French revololution.

Its was a Scot who learned (from the Dutch) how to create a bond market which ENGLAND then used to its advantage to fund its massive expansions.

So you ARE right...the Scots have been major players in modern Western History for some time.

Last edited:
Would assume most island peoples naturally become more industrious over time as their society's needs can't be met solely on where ever they began. So they have to become good seafarers, and since not everyone plays well together, good fighters. Unfortunately, war and conflict often sparks inventions first used in war, then in civilian applications afterwords. WWII and the US being the prime example for this. Without WWII, we may never have invented computers, or be decades behind where we are now.

Forum List

Back