What experiences in high school affected you so much that it altered your future?

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

Now here is where we come to the Conservative Conundrum:

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

I hated school as a kid but also

School should be just like it was when I was a kid

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

Don't tell me stories. Tell me what teachers in 2019 should DO.
tenor.gif

Oh no, sadly, I mean this. Read my fellow conservatives here. They hated the school experience they had but also hate reforms, hate anything that's not whatever decade they were brought up in education. So as I said: "I hated school as a kid" but also, "Everything should be exactly as it was when I was a kid in school"

Oh yeah, I mean it

Then that would mean every kid must be put through the same hell, hate school, waste twelve years and bear that setback into adulthood.

That makes no sense.
No, actually it does. In the 50's and 60's we were educated instead of indoctrinated. Big difference than today.

When was the last time you spent an entire day in a school?
2003. But I tutored my grandsons and knew what was going on. We can read and listen to the news to see that many teachers and profs are touting the liberal message and not accepting unbiased responses from students.

16 years ago and you think you knows exactly what goes on in every class every now?
Every class, of course not. Have you read about schools, teachers and our standing in the world educationally? Possibly not.

Then that would mean every kid must be put through the same hell, hate school, waste twelve years and bear that setback into adulthood.

That makes no sense.
No, actually it does. In the 50's and 60's we were educated instead of indoctrinated. Big difference than today.

2003. But I tutored my grandsons and knew what was going on. We can read and listen to the news to see that many teachers and profs are touting the liberal message and not accepting unbiased responses from students.

16 years ago and you think you knows exactly what goes on in every class every now?
Every class, of course not. Have you read about schools, teachers and our standing in the world educationally? Possibly not.
Where does the US education rank in the world?

I came across this interesting report this morning from MSNBC website:'Wake-up call': U.S. students trail global leaders

Out of 34 countries assessed, U.S. ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science, 25th in math

WAIT a minute!!! That's funny... I used to think that, since America is a developed country, the government should be able to provide better and higher standard of education system compared to European and Asian countries. Unfortunately, it isn't true. Based on the latest statistics, the standard of the US education system is falling behind some of the top scoring countries such as Finland, Shanghai (China), South Korea, Japan, Australia, Singapore and New Zealand.

Here is the news extracted from MSNBC website
'Wake-up call': U.S. students trail global leaders

That makes no sense.

In greater detail than you are ever likely to.

I came across this interesting report this morning from MSNBC website:'Wake-up call': U.S. students trail global leaders

Out of 34 countries assessed, U.S. ranked 14th in reading, 17th in science, 25th in math

WAIT a minute!!! That's funny... I used to think that, since America is a developed country, the government should be able to provide better and higher standard of education system compared to European and Asian countries. Unfortunately, it isn't true. Based on the latest statistics, the standard of the US education system is falling behind some of the top scoring countries such as Finland, Shanghai (China), South Korea, Japan, Australia, Singapore and New Zealand.

You seem like a good example of a cereal box scholar.

ouch......

~S~
Yeah, it's all good though. He took your route and helped his tiny corner of the world be a slightly better place. Good man. I'd not undo him.

I didn't get pg in high school, but I did find my life's work thank God. I was one of the few people who entered college with a major, didn't change it in college, got into my profession at 23 years old and never left. And I'm still so happy with it. weird, I know.

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

Wow Jackson. I could have written that almost word for word (except for the chewing gum part) to describe my algebra teacher. She lived to humiliate me. It didn't help that I sucked at mathematics. She was a pure sadist. She had no business being around children. Left me with a total disrespect for high school teachers.

She towered over my desk one day screaming at me. She asked me what I wanted to do for a living. I told her I WAS going to be a pilot. She laughed and yelled that pilots had to be experts in mathematics and I'd never be a pilot. Well 47 years of flying later with over 11,000 hours in jets including Air Force fighters, that dried up old witch can kiss my ass. If I knew where her grave was, I'd piss on it. Park my ass right there in a lawn chair and a six pack of beer and spend a few hours watering her lawn.

What experiences in high school affected you so much that it altered your future?

I soloed on my sixteenth birthday. I earned the money working after school and summers to buy flying lessons. So my primary education was outside of high school--working for a paycheck and learning to fly. Becoming addicted to flying kept me on the straight and narrow. My friends who didn't have such a focus ended up getting in trouble with drugs and the law. Most didn't go far. I was blessed with an addiction.
iu

Outside of my Vocational Agriculture classes, I was a soso student. I never took homework home, always completing it during school hours. My non-Ag grades were Cs and I have no idea what my GPA was - but it wasn't good.

I had absolutely no prospects of going to college and was left no other choice but to enlist in the military.

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

Now here is where we come to the Conservative Conundrum:

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

I hated school as a kid but also

School should be just like it was when I was a kid

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

Don't tell me stories. Tell me what teachers in 2019 should DO.
tenor.gif

Yep, based on real life.

Our penguins had longer sticks though. Thicker. Thirty-inch dowels with a rubber bullet on the end and a hook for hanging up.

If it ever got hung up. Overnight I guess.

After a minimal time reading this board I have serious doubts that we're anywhere near as high as 14th in reading.

114th, I'd believe that.

This is largely if not mostly a social issue though. Government can't be expected to educate on its own. Education is a cooperative process. Both sides have to participate. For the educator side, they have to make it interesting and give the educatee a reason to care.

Government certainly didn't teach me to read. My mother did.

In the leave it to beaver days of yore...............discipline was more prominent.

Between getting hammered by the coaches in sports, and calibrated by the paddle for screwing up were the most memorable from back then.

The vice principle had a nice paddle with holes in it.........and you signed it after getting it lol.

SIGNED IT?

I think I'd sign it "Charles U. Farley". Or maybe "Haywood Jablowme".

I'll leave the term "beaver days" as a mystery............

Nothing in High School had any real effect on me. It was being in the military that changed my life.

Same here, but I have to give the credit of being encouraged to join the military to Mr. Parker, my HS guidance counselor. My Senior year, he would do interviews with all the people graduating that year, help them figure out what schools to go to, as well as helped them with their applications.

When he interviewed me, he asked what college I was planning to attend. I told him that because my Grandparents didn't have enough money, chances are I wouldn't go and would start working right after I graduated. He then asked me what kinds of things I was interested in, and travel was in the top 3. He said that if I was interested, I should check out what the various services had to offer, as they went all over the world and I might get a chance to see a foreign country.

Best damn decision I ever made. Not only did I end up with a career that I am proud of, as well as got some pretty interesting assignments (2 back to back tours of Independent Duty my last 2 stations. One on an MSC vessel, the second one was in recruiting as Head Classifier and LPO of Amarillo MEPS), but I ended up staying in for over 20 years and now have a decent retirement and health care for the rest of my life. Been to 26 different countries and 49 different states, only missing Alaska.

As far as who was the most influential on my service in the Navy? That's easy, PN1 Bayona who was my first LPO. He would regularly throw out questions for the office to answer, and whoever got it right was given a soda or a candy bar. Taught me early on to pay attention to the regs, especially the new ones that came out quarterly with the manual changes. And, he also taught me that if I did the manual changes, I would be the first "in the know" of the newest rules. He taught me well as to how to do my job, and also instilled in me a love of being a PN.

I didn’t get that from anyone. One day I woke up, looked around and decided I needed to get my shit together. Went down and signed up that day. Shocked the crap out of everyone. Smartest thing I ever did.

You look like someone they wouldn't let in a school.

Nothing in High School had any real effect on me. It was being in the military that changed my life.

Same here, but I have to give the credit of being encouraged to join the military to Mr. Parker, my HS guidance counselor. My Senior year, he would do interviews with all the people graduating that year, help them figure out what schools to go to, as well as helped them with their applications.

When he interviewed me, he asked what college I was planning to attend. I told him that because my Grandparents didn't have enough money, chances are I wouldn't go and would start working right after I graduated. He then asked me what kinds of things I was interested in, and travel was in the top 3. He said that if I was interested, I should check out what the various services had to offer, as they went all over the world and I might get a chance to see a foreign country.

Best damn decision I ever made. Not only did I end up with a career that I am proud of, as well as got some pretty interesting assignments (2 back to back tours of Independent Duty my last 2 stations. One on an MSC vessel, the second one was in recruiting as Head Classifier and LPO of Amarillo MEPS), but I ended up staying in for over 20 years and now have a decent retirement and health care for the rest of my life. Been to 26 different countries and 49 different states, only missing Alaska.

As far as who was the most influential on my service in the Navy? That's easy, PN1 Bayona who was my first LPO. He would regularly throw out questions for the office to answer, and whoever got it right was given a soda or a candy bar. Taught me early on to pay attention to the regs, especially the new ones that came out quarterly with the manual changes. And, he also taught me that if I did the manual changes, I would be the first "in the know" of the newest rules. He taught me well as to how to do my job, and also instilled in me a love of being a PN.
Biker, it sounds like you were fortunate to have Mr. Parker as your guidance counselor. Have you ever thought of writing to him and thanking him? That would be cool. After my desire for astronomy waned, I became a teacher and wrote my 6th grade teacher and thanked him for being such a good teacher and I wanted to become as good as he was.

I thanked one of my shop teachers that i ran into , decades later

kids like myself were born 'hands on' did well in the HS shop classes

they were most influential....

~S~

You look like someone they wouldn't let in a school.

Good try, except you don’t know what I look like.

Forum List

Back