What experiences in high school affected you so much that it altered your future?

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

Now here is where we come to the Conservative Conundrum:

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

I hated school as a kid but also

School should be just like it was when I was a kid

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

Don't tell me stories. Tell me what teachers in 2019 should DO.

The thread is about high school experiences and the post I responded to of yours did not ask what teachers in 2019 should DO. You instead used it to slight conservatives. You apologized for someone shy having to go to the blackboard. That is exactly the wrong attitude. Being able to stand in front of a room is what shy kids need to learn to do. They shouldn't be shielded from it.

Hated school and gained very little from it other than pussy.
Hated math the most. But as it turned out my job required a lot of it.
I learned more about math in six months out of necessity than all my years in school.

However I will give credit for my love of reading to my third grade english teacher.

Hated school and gained very little from it other than pussy.
Hated math the most. But as it turned out my job required a lot of it.
I learned more about math in six months out of necessity than all my years in school.

However I will give credit for my love of reading to my third grade english teacher.

I went to an all-boys institution, no broads at all. I think it helped keep our concentration on our school work, at least in class.

I think that high school helped me appreciate different cultures. We had two black guys in my school, got along fine with them. No foreign students however.

I stopped gong to school twice in the 9th grade because they couldn't keep me interested.This was circa 1962-63 in rural schools in Texas. I took a GED test in the Navy, in 1965, and scored at 11th grade level except in math.
After the military I enrolled at a Jr College for a couple of things that interested me, Sociology and American History.
The Sociology instructor was too stuck on herself to suit my tastes and the History instructor was boring. I've learned more, about both subjects, in the last 12 years I've frequented political message boards than my kids learned in High School and college- mostly because I *wanted* to and I can read. My professional life allowed me to work with some pretty sharp people and lay a foundation of looking at situations objectively by researching ALL available evidence before rendering a conclusion.

Education is merely a passing on of knowledge, good, bad and/or indifferent.

What should school do today? Teach how to find answers not what answers are to pass a test. Teach respect through example using the Declaration of Independence as it's foundation, especially the phrase- all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights. Teach individual effort creates the greater good Naturally. Teach individualism is not conformity.
Reading, writing and arithmetic are really all that's required to accomplish any assigned task. Engage the creativity a sponge for a brain has naturally. Encourage creativity not conformity to test standards. Stop the alleged self esteem building crap.
Self esteem is achieved with accomplishing a task. Period. Respect is earned when respect is given, which builds self respect. Creativity encourages innovation, innovation can create wealth, wealth comes in more than monetary acquisition.
Standardized conformity is a *one size fits all* mandate- it ain't working.

Got any examples from this century?

Nothing in High School had any real effect on me. It was being in the military that changed my life.

Same here, but I have to give the credit of being encouraged to join the military to Mr. Parker, my HS guidance counselor. My Senior year, he would do interviews with all the people graduating that year, help them figure out what schools to go to, as well as helped them with their applications.

When he interviewed me, he asked what college I was planning to attend. I told him that because my Grandparents didn't have enough money, chances are I wouldn't go and would start working right after I graduated. He then asked me what kinds of things I was interested in, and travel was in the top 3. He said that if I was interested, I should check out what the various services had to offer, as they went all over the world and I might get a chance to see a foreign country.

Best damn decision I ever made. Not only did I end up with a career that I am proud of, as well as got some pretty interesting assignments (2 back to back tours of Independent Duty my last 2 stations. One on an MSC vessel, the second one was in recruiting as Head Classifier and LPO of Amarillo MEPS), but I ended up staying in for over 20 years and now have a decent retirement and health care for the rest of my life. Been to 26 different countries and 49 different states, only missing Alaska.

As far as who was the most influential on my service in the Navy? That's easy, PN1 Bayona who was my first LPO. He would regularly throw out questions for the office to answer, and whoever got it right was given a soda or a candy bar. Taught me early on to pay attention to the regs, especially the new ones that came out quarterly with the manual changes. And, he also taught me that if I did the manual changes, I would be the first "in the know" of the newest rules. He taught me well as to how to do my job, and also instilled in me a love of being a PN.

Last edited:
Having sex the first time when I was a Sophomore.... I knew my life's purpose at that moment.

I didn't get laid until Halloween night my Senior year. Was also one of the more terrifying experiences of my life, because while I talked a good game, actually having experience was something I was lacking.

Well, KJF (initials only, no names), came up to me at the basketball game we were at, and said that she liked me, and had heard that I knew a lot when it came to the ladies, and she asked if I would be her first and show her the ropes.

Well, being the idiot I was at the time, I bragged "sure" and asked her when she would like to get together. She said now, and took me out back. Probably the scariest 15 min. of my life, because although I didn't know what the hell I was doing, I was trying to act like it was second nature to me.

Not exactly a great experience for the two of us, but I did figure out that sex was pretty great, and participated in it on a regular basis for many years after that.

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

Why were you so weak?

Met the first girl I fell in love with in High School.

That was a life altering experience.

If this is not a typo, it does not compute. Kind of a math, but a very simple math. Looks like it reads, "I suffered, therefore others should suffer". I would never want a kid to have to go through the prison I went through. That's part of why I never had kids.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh no, sadly, I mean this. Read my fellow conservatives here. They hated the school experience they had but also hate reforms, hate anything that's not whatever decade they were brought up in education. So as I said: "I hated school as a kid" but also, "Everything should be exactly as it was when I was a kid in school"

Oh yeah, I mean it

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

The thread is about high school experiences and the post I responded to of yours did not ask what teachers in 2019 should DO. You instead used it to slight conservatives. You apologized for someone shy having to go to the blackboard. That is exactly the wrong attitude. Being able to stand in front of a room is what shy kids need to learn to do. They shouldn't be shielded from it.

Right pathetic try. I apologized for her yelling at a kid, humiliating him, turning him off to his favorite subject, and rapping his knuckles and throwing things at kids.

But we know: these are acceptable teaching tactics for conservatives--oh wait, until it happens to THEIR OWN kids. Right?

Right pathetic try. I apologized for her yelling at a kid, humiliating him, turning him off to his favorite subject, and rapping his knuckles and throwing things at kids.

But we know: these are acceptable teaching tactics for conservatives--oh wait, until it happens to THEIR OWN kids. Right?

Actually I am the one who got smacked with the ruler and things thrown at them, not the OP and you attacked me. Typical control-freak teacher behavior on your part.

If this is not a typo, it does not compute. Kind of a math, but a very simple math. Looks like it reads, "I suffered, therefore others should suffer". I would never want a kid to have to go through the prison I went through. That's part of why I never had kids.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh no, sadly, I mean this. Read my fellow conservatives here. They hated the school experience they had but also hate reforms, hate anything that's not whatever decade they were brought up in education. So as I said: "I hated school as a kid" but also, "Everything should be exactly as it was when I was a kid in school"

Oh yeah, I mean it

Then that would mean every kid must be put through the same hell, hate school, waste twelve years and bear that setback into adulthood.

That makes no sense.

I went to a very reputable all boys Catholic HS in Pittsburgh.

I was able to graduate as an honor student without actually doing any work. I did as little as possible - written assignments, but no studying. I never prepared for any test, just relied on what I could remember from class, and looked over my notes. I guess the teachers were pretty good.

Boy, did that academic philosophy fail me in college! I flunked out as quickly as possible, then joined the Army to avoid getting drafted. It took me all three years to get my head out of my ass so I could go back to college as an actual student, and not a lazy fuck-up.

Oddly enough, most of my high school buddies also failed out of college, and pretty much for the same reason I did. Despite our good SAT's and QPA's, we were simply not prepared for college. The friends who didn't get into Central Catholic went to the public HS and...did fine in college.

So my feelings for my HS "Alma Mater" are quite mixed.

I stopped gong to school twice in the 9th grade because they couldn't keep me interested.This was circa 1962-63 in rural schools in Texas. I took a GED test in the Navy, in 1965, and scored at 11th grade level except in math.
After the military I enrolled at a Jr College for a couple of things that interested me, Sociology and American History.
The Sociology instructor was too stuck on herself to suit my tastes and the History instructor was boring. I've learned more, about both subjects, in the last 12 years I've frequented political message boards than my kids learned in High School and college- mostly because I *wanted* to and I can read. My professional life allowed me to work with some pretty sharp people and lay a foundation of looking at situations objectively by researching ALL available evidence before rendering a conclusion.

Education is merely a passing on of knowledge, good, bad and/or indifferent.

What should school do today? Teach how to find answers not what answers are to pass a test. Teach respect through example using the Declaration of Independence as it's foundation, especially the phrase- all men are created equal and have certain unalienable rights. Teach individual effort creates the greater good Naturally. Teach individualism is not conformity.
Reading, writing and arithmetic are really all that's required to accomplish any assigned task. Engage the creativity a sponge for a brain has naturally. Encourage creativity not conformity to test standards. Stop the alleged self esteem building crap.
Self esteem is achieved with accomplishing a task. Period. Respect is earned when respect is given, which builds self respect. Creativity encourages innovation, innovation can create wealth, wealth comes in more than monetary acquisition.
Standardized conformity is a *one size fits all* mandate- it ain't working.

Got any examples from this century?
Any year we went to school is important.

Forum List

Back