What experiences in high school affected you so much that it altered your future?

I hated school as a kid but also

School should be just like it was when I was a kid

If this is not a typo, it does not compute. Kind of a math, but a very simple math. Looks like it reads, "I suffered, therefore others should suffer". I would never want a kid to have to go through the prison I went through. That's part of why I never had kids.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh no, sadly, I mean this. Read my fellow conservatives here. They hated the school experience they had but also hate reforms, hate anything that's not whatever decade they were brought up in education. So as I said: "I hated school as a kid" but also, "Everything should be exactly as it was when I was a kid in school"

Oh yeah, I mean it

Then that would mean every kid must be put through the same hell, hate school, waste twelve years and bear that setback into adulthood.

That makes no sense.
No, actually it does. In the 50's and 60's we were educated instead of indoctrinated. Big difference than today.

I went to a very reputable all boys Catholic HS in Pittsburgh.

I was able to graduate as an honor student without actually doing any work. I did as little as possible - written assignments, but no studying. I never prepared for any test, just relied on what I could remember from class, and looked over my notes. I guess the teachers were pretty good.

Boy, did that academic philosophy fail me in college! I flunked out as quickly as possible, then joined the Army to avoid getting drafted. It took me all three years to get my head out of my ass so I could go back to college as an actual student, and not a lazy fuck-up.

Oddly enough, most of my high school buddies also failed out of college, and pretty much for the same reason I did. Despite our good SAT's and QPA's, we were simply not prepared for college. The friends who didn't get into Central Catholic went to the public HS and...did fine in college.

So my feelings for my HS "Alma Mater" are quite mixed.
Very interesting.

If this is not a typo, it does not compute. Kind of a math, but a very simple math. Looks like it reads, "I suffered, therefore others should suffer". I would never want a kid to have to go through the prison I went through. That's part of why I never had kids.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh no, sadly, I mean this. Read my fellow conservatives here. They hated the school experience they had but also hate reforms, hate anything that's not whatever decade they were brought up in education. So as I said: "I hated school as a kid" but also, "Everything should be exactly as it was when I was a kid in school"

Oh yeah, I mean it

Then that would mean every kid must be put through the same hell, hate school, waste twelve years and bear that setback into adulthood.

That makes no sense.
No, actually it does. In the 50's and 60's we were educated instead of indoctrinated. Big difference than today.

The post wasn't about education or indoctrination. It's about wishing a bad time on someone just because oneself had a bad time. And ------- as I just said above, twice ---------- that makes no sense.

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

Now here is where we come to the Conservative Conundrum:

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

Don't tell me stories. Tell me what teachers in 2019 should DO.

The thread is about high school experiences and the post I responded to of yours did not ask what teachers in 2019 should DO. You instead used it to slight conservatives. You apologized for someone shy having to go to the blackboard. That is exactly the wrong attitude. Being able to stand in front of a room is what shy kids need to learn to do. They shouldn't be shielded from it.
Actually both are right. All children should be comfortable going to the board. My experience could have been quite different if I had a teacher with a soul. She could have encouraged me instead ridiculing me.

Last edited:
As a teacher, I often had children go to the board. When it was a review day, I sometimes told the youngsters (grade 1) I was tired but we needed a lesson we had the day before. I asked who would like to be the teacher and almost every hand went up. It was fun. We applauded for the "teacher" when they were done.'

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh yeah, I mean it

That makes no sense.

When was the last time you spent an entire day in a school?

I used to love math. I loved Algebra and Geometry so Algebra 2 should have been a breeze, But the teacher I had was a witch. The only kids she was nice to were athletes and cheerlearders. I was very shy and she saw I had a problem wrong so she told me to go up to the board and do the problem for the rest of the class. Right at the start she began yelling at me and I panicked. I couldn't tell her my name if she asked. I just froze and the louder she got.

Stopped all math at that point. No calc, no trig...no dream of becoming an astronomer.

the next week, I was chewing gum and had to put it on my nose for the rest of the class. Hated that woman.

I will never for the life of me understand how or why some teachers come into the profession--or stay--and yet hate kids. But it seems for a few this is the case. Let me say for my profession I'm sorry that happened to you, there's no excuse for it and it did inexcusable damage, as we can see. Horrible.

I have taught for 25 years, in two states, three districts, and more schools than I care to list due to the nature of my job. What you list here are far, far from acceptable teaching methods, rest assured. Yet if you ask conservatives IN THEORY what's wrong with schools it's that they're "too soft" and there's "no discipline". Again it's always this completely dichotomous message:

Teachers cannot coddle every student. My math teacher all throughout high school was a Nazi. The reality was that there was no escaping her if you were going to culminate in Calculus as she was the head of the department and taught the most advanced math classes at each grade level. Even other teachers did not like her. Other teachers complained endlessly that she flooded students with so much homework that it kept them from being able to do their homework in other classes. There were times we would have to use other classes classroom time to study for her exams. Other teachers finally just caved when students were doing it. Thing was, no matter how horrible a person she was, you sure as hell knew your math in the end. When I got to college, the math profs even knew of her for better or worse. She was rather infamous, including her reputation for hitting people with a ruler and throwing erasers at their head despite such things being strictly forbidden....except when she did it.

Your post is rather a mess. You have here an anecdote, which is mostly what I get. Define what you want. Do you want tough but fair? Do you want teachers rapping kids with rulers and throwing crap at their heads?

The thread is about high school experiences and the post I responded to of yours did not ask what teachers in 2019 should DO. You instead used it to slight conservatives. You apologized for someone shy having to go to the blackboard. That is exactly the wrong attitude. Being able to stand in front of a room is what shy kids need to learn to do. They shouldn't be shielded from it.
Actually both are right. All children should be comfortable going to the board. My experience could have been quite different if I had a teacher with a soul. She could have encouraged me instead ridiculing me.
If teachers only knew what profound impacts they have on the kids they teach, especially if they single out the student one way or another. You probably weren't the only student traumatized by that teacher.

In the leave it to beaver days of yore...............discipline was more prominent.

Between getting hammered by the coaches in sports, and calibrated by the paddle for screwing up were the most memorable from back then.

The vice principle had a nice paddle with holes in it.........and you signed it after getting it lol.

In regards to teachers...........Only one physics teacher was really inspiring to me. Was a great teacher who was very good at critical thinking and problem solving.

Right pathetic try. I apologized for her yelling at a kid, humiliating him, turning him off to his favorite subject, and rapping his knuckles and throwing things at kids.

But we know: these are acceptable teaching tactics for conservatives--oh wait, until it happens to THEIR OWN kids. Right?

Actually I am the one who got smacked with the ruler and things thrown at them, not the OP and you attacked me. Typical control-freak teacher behavior on your part.

You seemed to defend it. Were you defending it? Are those good teaching tactics, rapping kids with rulers and throwing things at them?

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh yeah, I mean it

That makes no sense.

Of course it makes no sense. This is my point. It is largely the conservative approach to education and it makes no sense at all. Thank you.

Meeting the mother of my first child and getting her pregnant in high school certainly changed my life and altered my future.

Academically, with the exception of foreign languages I didn't really learn much in high school because I was a "profoundly gifted child". The most advanced classes were all very basic shit to me that I had already learned when I was a little kid. For instance, they required everyone to take 3 years of English even though I was reading and writing at a college level when I was only 6 years old. Human Biology? Hell, I knew Grey's Anatomy inside and out and was getting paid to tutor nursing and medical students before I was even a teenager. Chemistry, trig, physics, whatever. I already knew that stuff before I went to high school.

I learned the most playing football because being the defensive captain really served to hone my leadership skills. And it certainly had some nice perks, such as the hottest girls throwing pussy at me. We had a great team that brought in a lot of revenue. CASH revenue in small unmarked bills collected by the principal and dean at the gate on Friday nights. And wherever cash and public employees co-mingle there's corruption, so the school staff would kiss our asses and let us get away with almost anything.

Last edited:
Meeting the mother of my first child pregnant in high school certainly changed my life and altered my future.

Academically, with the exception of foreign languages I didn't really learn much in high school because I was a "profoundly gifted child". The most advanced classes were all very basic shit to me that I had already learned when I was a little kid. For instance, they required everyone to take 3 years of English even though I was reading and writing at a college level when I was only 6 years old. Human Biology? Hell, I knew Grey's Anatomy inside and out and was getting paid to tutor nursing and medical students before I was even a teenager. Chemistry, trig, physics, whatever. I already knew that stuff before I went to high school.

I learned the most playing football because being the defensive captain really served to hone my leadership skills. And it certainly had some nice perks, such as the hottest girls throwing pussy at me. We had a great team that brought in a lot of revenue. CASH revenue at the gate on Friday nights. And wherever there's cash and public employees there's corruption, so the school staff would kiss our asses and let us get away with almost anything.

OH! Right. I forgot to mention that in high school I was already singing backup for The Bangles. Every day was a Manic Monday as I tried to get my schoolwork done, tease my hair to unimaginable heights and also hit those insane harmonies. heh

Meeting the mother of my first child and getting her pregnant in high school certainly changed my life and altered my future.

I learned the most playing football because being the defensive captain really served to hone my leadership skills. And it certainly had some nice perks, such as the hottest girls throwing pussy at me. We had a great team that brought in a lot of revenue. CASH revenue in small unmarked bills collected by the principal and dean at the gate on Friday nights. And wherever cash and public employees co-mingle there's corruption, so the school staff would kiss our asses and let us get away with almost anything.

OH! Right. I forgot to mention that in high school I was already singing backup for The Bangles. Every day was a Manic Monday as I tried to get my schoolwork done, tease my hair to unimaginable heights and also hit those insane harmonies. heh
Yeah, I ran into a lot of incredulous teachers like you when I was in school. Usually they would repeatedly accuse me of cheating. They just couldn't admit to themselves that a little kid was smarter and more knowledgeable than they would ever be.

And many times when they did they would give me a lot of extra work to do, which made me feel like they were picking on me, which in turn led to behavioural problems and class disruptions.

Last edited:

Yeah, I ran into a lot of incredulous teachers like you when I was in school. Usually they would repeatedly accuse me of cheating. They just couldn't admit to themselves that a little kid was smarter and more knowledgeable than they would ever be.

And many times when they did they would give me a lot of extra work to do, which made me feel like they were picking on me, which in turn led to behavioural problems and class disruptions.

Oh I'm not incredulous--I thought you might be literally kidding. Sorry.

Listen, I have one kid I know right now who is WORLDS smarter than me and lots and lots who have been at least as smart as me and lots who have been smarter than me for sure. They're younger than me (I teach elem) so I'm wiser, right? But not necessarily smarter. And for absolutely sure my very best teachers have been my students. Just yesterday in fact a student helped me with a new strategy and probably didn't know it....

Having an exceptionally bright elem. kid is both an advantage and a big hurdle. I have a family member whose child is very very bright and articulate. It's a blessing and a challenge. The extra work is not necessary, but a lot of independent study probably was.

Ah, the internet...

Right pathetic try. I apologized for her yelling at a kid, humiliating him, turning him off to his favorite subject, and rapping his knuckles and throwing things at kids.

But we know: these are acceptable teaching tactics for conservatives--oh wait, until it happens to THEIR OWN kids. Right?

Actually I am the one who got smacked with the ruler and things thrown at them, not the OP and you attacked me. Typical control-freak teacher behavior on your part.

You seemed to defend it. Were you defending it? Are those good teaching tactics, rapping kids with rulers and throwing things at them?

The best teaching method is one that gets the student to learn the most. That depends on the students, not the methods.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh yeah, I mean it

That makes no sense.

2003. But I tutored my grandsons and knew what was going on. We can read and listen to the news to see that many teachers and profs are touting the liberal message and not accepting unbiased responses from students.

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh yeah, I mean it

That makes no sense.

Of course it makes no sense. This is my point. It is largely the conservative approach to education and it makes no sense at all. Thank you.

Soooooo you're deliberately taking a position that you already know makes no sense?

But maybe it's a typo?

Oh yeah, I mean it

That makes no sense.

2003. But I tutored my grandsons and knew what was going on. We can read and listen to the news to see that many teachers and profs are touting the liberal message and not accepting unbiased responses from students.

16 years ago and you think you knows exactly what goes on in every class every now?

Forum List

Back