What experience has taught me

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
In 1971 I moved from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania into the heart of a North Philadelphia ghetto to work with a Christian Youth Organization. One of my first memories of that move is a little black kid throwing a can at me while I thought, “What have I ever done to him?”

I had my purse and my favorite sneakers stolen, my room broken into more than once, and my personal safety threatened on numerous occasions.

In 1975 I was attacked from behind by a black man. He stuck a knife to my throat and said, “Get in the car white b**** or I’ll cut your f***** throat.

In 1978 I was thrown down a flight of stairs by a black teenager who threatened to rape and kill me.

Since my move to Germantown in 1979 I have been called white ass, white b**** and white trash. In 1989 an angry black woman threatened to kill me. In 1993 a hostile black teenage girl threatened to bash my head in with her shovel and bury my white ass in the snow.

However, these experiences have not served to make me a hateful person. They have not made me call Black people racists. They have not made me believe that Black people are violent. Even if I had hundreds of negative experiences with Black individuals, I cannot judge an entire race of people by the actions of a handful of folks. I’ve never judged my own race so. I’ve never thrown them all into the same category based on negative experiences with some of them.

My experiences have served to make me wonder what on earth has driven people to such extreme behaviors. They have served to make me strong and determined to do what I can to understand and bridge the gap between black and white people in my city and in our nation.

might be hard to believe [for some] but my DAD saw these things / racial hate coming in the 60s . -------- just a comment !!

In 1971 I moved from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania into the heart of a North Philadelphia ghetto to work with a Christian Youth Organization. One of my first memories of that move is a little black kid throwing a can at me while I thought, “What have I ever done to him?”

I had my purse and my favorite sneakers stolen, my room broken into more than once, and my personal safety threatened on numerous occasions.

In 1975 I was attacked from behind by a black man. He stuck a knife to my throat and said, “Get in the car white b**** or I’ll cut your f***** throat.

In 1978 I was thrown down a flight of stairs by a black teenager who threatened to rape and kill me.

Since my move to Germantown in 1979 I have been called white ass, white b**** and white trash. In 1989 an angry black woman threatened to kill me. In 1993 a hostile black teenage girl threatened to bash my head in with her shovel and bury my white ass in the snow.

However, these experiences have not served to make me a hateful person. They have not made me call Black people racists. They have not made me believe that Black people are violent. Even if I had hundreds of negative experiences with Black individuals, I cannot judge an entire race of people by the actions of a handful of folks. I’ve never judged my own race so. I’ve never thrown them all into the same category based on negative experiences with some of them.

My experiences have served to make me wonder what on earth has driven people to such extreme behaviors. They have served to make me strong and determined to do what I can to understand and bridge the gap between black and white people in my city and in our nation.

God bless your sweet heart; my prayers are with you.

Peace.

Well for the most part I think all this is a territorial thing.

The darkies don't want you in their hood.

The shining sun reflecting off your lily white face hurts their eyes.

They are used to black not white.

God played an awful trick on all of us to see if we could all get along.

I guess God was not sure.

might be hard to believe [for some] but my DAD saw these things / racial hate coming in the 60s . -------- just a comment !!
I think that sometimes we make anger and hatred the same thing. But being angry doesn't mean being full of hate. Spouses get angry at each other. Parents get angry at the kids. But we don't hate them just because we are angry about their behavior.

I think lots of black folks are angry with very good reason. But when they try to express that anger, they are told "forget about it" "get over it" "we're tired of hearing about it" "stop blaming others for your problems." They have been told how to think, feel and respond to something that was done to their ancestors and to a degree continues today. All the while they watch other groups hold annual prayer vigils to "remember the past, so we do not repeat it."

well , DAD took practical steps as he he got his wife and 5 kids far away from the big cities . Then i as a very young kid i watched as Detroit and other cities went to heck , i watched on tv Delores .

anger or hatred , does it really matter ?? Anger or hatred is going to require that you and your kids pay restitution Delores .

You should carry a gun. It's your right as a free American.
No thanks. Every time I was in danger a prayer was all that was needed.
Negroes do not answer prayers.

If you don't have at least a basketball to toss them there is no way you can stop getting raped without a warm gun of your own.

More stupid, cowardly nonsense .
Unkotare you and the O/P are the only 2 cowards in this thread.

The rest of us are trying to show you how to become brave and true and fight crime. Not submit to crime.

You should carry a gun. It's your right as a free American.
No thanks. Every time I was in danger a prayer was all that was needed.
Negroes do not answer prayers.

If you don't have at least a basketball to toss them there is no way you can stop getting raped without a warm gun of your own.

More stupid, cowardly nonsense.
Unkotare you and the O/P are the only 2 cowards in this thread.

The rest of us are trying to show you how to become brave and true and fight crime. Not submit to crime.

You should be worried about your continued submission to stupidity.

well , DAD took practical steps as he he got his wife and 5 kids far away from the big cities . Then i as a very young kid i watched as Detroit and other cities went to heck , i watched on tv Delores .
PHONE CALL
by Delores Paulk

Hello. Yes, I know the area.
It used to be so pretty there.
It's where we used to live you know.

Of course when things began to change
We had to find a better place.
I'm sure you understand.

I couldn't have my children growing up
Surrounded by those people.
Why the words they used alone
Would fill my little darling's minds with awful filth.

Not to mention their immoral practices.
And, oh, I'm sure you now, my dear
That cleanliness does not exist among their kind.

And violence, why it's everywhere.
We decent folks could never walk the streets
For fear of being robbed.

Well, I just couldn't see
Subjecting my dear family to such conditions.

Anything else you want to know, sweetheart,
You just give me another call.
My husband and I will be glad to fill you.
Of course, we know what we're talking about.
We were the first family to leave.

Forum List

Back