What exactly is the Holy Grail - and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?

Yes, smart ass. lol

With regard to the Ark of the Covenant, it's manna. Monotomically speaking, anyway.

Linguistically, manna means 'what is it?" People always get that messed up to mean some edible substance, whereas the term was only a question in the first place.

Type Holy Grail in to any search machine......you don't need me to finish that sentence.

The sheer multiplicity of what any search engine throws up demonstrates that there is no clear consensus as to what the Grail is or was. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people out there claiming to know its history, true meaning and even where to find it.

Modern authors, perhaps most (in)famously Dan Brown, offer new interpretations and, even when these are clearly and explicitly rooted in little more than imaginative fiction, they get picked up and bandied about as if a new scientific and irrefutable truth has been discovered. The Grail, though, will perhaps always eschew definition. But why?

The first known mention of a Grail (“un graal”) is made in a narrative spun by a 12th century writer of French romance, Chrétien de Troyes, who might reasonably be referred to as the Dan Brown of his day – though some scholars would argue that the quality of Chrétien’s writing far exceeds anything Brown has so far produced.

Chrétien’s Grail is mystical indeed – it is a dish, big and wide enough to take a salmon, that seems capable to delivering food and sustenance. To obtain the Grail requires asking a particular question at the Grail Castle. Unfortunately, the exact question (“Whom does the Grail serve?”) is only revealed after the Grail quester, the hapless Perceval, has missed the opportunity to ask it. It seems he is not quite ready, not quite mature enough, for the Grail.

What exactly is the Holy Grail – and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?
I believe it was knowledge of the bloodline of Christ. It was zealously protected knowledge, since being related to him could spell your death.

I went to Rennes le Chateau to research that one.

Yes, smart ass. lol

With regard to the Ark of the Covenant, it's manna. Monotomically speaking, anyway.

Linguistically, manna means 'what is it?" People always get that messed up to mean some edible substance, whereas it was only a question.

The Temple Treasure. There's evidence of it on a stone relief in Rome.

Found it....
maxresdefault.jpg

Well yes. The eternal quest.

Why would people name their most common food "what is it?" Were the cooks THAT bad?

Well, that's the thing. They didn't name anything. They asked 'what is it'. Thats what manna means. "What is it?"

Some lying scribe decided to wing the explanation as best he could. He can't be blamed, though, we're talking several linguistics separation over time.

Type Holy Grail in to any search machine......you don't need me to finish that sentence.

The sheer multiplicity of what any search engine throws up demonstrates that there is no clear consensus as to what the Grail is or was. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t plenty of people out there claiming to know its history, true meaning and even where to find it.

Modern authors, perhaps most (in)famously Dan Brown, offer new interpretations and, even when these are clearly and explicitly rooted in little more than imaginative fiction, they get picked up and bandied about as if a new scientific and irrefutable truth has been discovered. The Grail, though, will perhaps always eschew definition. But why?

The first known mention of a Grail (“un graal”) is made in a narrative spun by a 12th century writer of French romance, Chrétien de Troyes, who might reasonably be referred to as the Dan Brown of his day – though some scholars would argue that the quality of Chrétien’s writing far exceeds anything Brown has so far produced.

Chrétien’s Grail is mystical indeed – it is a dish, big and wide enough to take a salmon, that seems capable to delivering food and sustenance. To obtain the Grail requires asking a particular question at the Grail Castle. Unfortunately, the exact question (“Whom does the Grail serve?”) is only revealed after the Grail quester, the hapless Perceval, has missed the opportunity to ask it. It seems he is not quite ready, not quite mature enough, for the Grail.

What exactly is the Holy Grail – and why has its meaning eluded us for centuries?
I believe it was knowledge of the bloodline of Christ. It was zealously protected knowledge, since being related to him could spell your death.

Is that the place where the statue at the local church of Saint Mary of Magdalene is obviously pregnant?
I know some people think it is somehow related to the Knights Templar, but I think the protection of Jesus's family started as soon as his death, and that is why no information about his life, his marriage and family is ever mentioned. He could have been celibate, but that would have been mentioned, surely? and its reasoning explained, but it isn't, is it?

Is that the place where the statue at the local church of Saint Mary of Magdalene is obviously pregnant?
I know some people think it is somehow related to the Knights Templar, but I think the protection of Jesus's family started as soon as his death, and that is why no information about his life, his marriage and family is ever mentioned. He could have been celibate, but that would have been mentioned, surely? and its reasoning explained, but it isn't, is it?

All those relics are there in that region. Knights Templar, the Rosicrucians, and of course the Romans.

^ this

There's another town I went to in the Camargue, called the Three Mary's.

All interesting stuff, if one were curious enough.

I never knew a thing about any of this until I read The DaVinci Code, but then I discovered that it wasn't something Dan Brown made up--the theory had been floating around for years. So I looked into it a little and actually it makes perfect sense.
I like the Mary Magdalene as his wife angle. It's kinda romantic.

I never knew a thing about any of this until I read The DaVinci Code, but then I discovered that it wasn't something Dan Brown made up--the theory had been floating around for years. So I looked into it a little and actually it makes perfect sense.
I like the Mary Magdalene as his wife angle. It's kinda romantic.

I could discuss that stuff with you. I went deep into an interesting hypothesis about it some years back.

It's all part of the grotesque misinterpretation of the significance of Jesus. Everything about him of real importance is metaphysical, and everything physical, meaningless.

Not necessarily. It could be the Ark of the Covenant. It did exist.
Its existence is of no transcendent importance. That is the point. Whether or not the object was 'real', it at most only distracts from the greater message.

It's all part of the grotesque misinterpretation of the significance of Jesus. Everything about him of real importance is metaphysical, and everything physical, meaningless.

Not necessarily. It could be the Ark of the Covenant. It did exist.
Its existence is of no transcendent importance. That is the point. Whether or not the object was 'real', it at most only distracts from the greater message.

Is there a message?

Oh, you went there? That's really cool. A lot of the libraries in Paris contain manuscrips which bear witness to the same period in Mary's life. Her mission of province, for example, is specifically mentioned in a hym from the 600s, which can be found in the Acta Sanctorum, that's a research record, it was first issued in the 1700s by Jesuit Jean Bolland.

Mary's companions Mary-Salome and Mary Jacob are said to supposedly be buried there in the crypt of Les Saintes Maries which is in the Camargue. As a point of interest, before the church was built, the original church on the same spot was called Sanctae Mariae de Ratis. That was pre-9th century. Near the present middle part of it are the remains of a sculpture showing the Marys at sea.

Anyway. It's pretty cool that you went there.

Oh, you went there? That's really cool. A lot of the libraries in Paris contain manuscrips which bear witness to the same period in Mary's life. Her mission of province, for example, is specifically mentioned in a hym from the 600s, which can be found in the Acta Sanctorum, that's a research record, it was first issued in the 1700s by Jesuit Jean Bolland.

Mary's companions Mary-Salome and Mary Jacob are said to supposedly be buried there in the crypt of Les Saintes Maries which is in the Camargue. As a point of interest, before the church was built, the original church on the same spot was called Sanctae Mariae de Ratis. That was pre-9th century. Near the present middle part of it are the remains of a sculpture showing the Marys at sea.

Anyway. It's pretty cool that you went there.

Have been to many places in my "quest". 'Followed' the Romans from Sidi Bou Said all the way up through Europe. But never made it to Hadrian's Wall; and beyond.

But have never visited Rome. Who knows what lies in the vaults of the Vatican.

Forum List

Back