What ever happened to Salman Rushdie?

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
This guy was a liberal back in 1988. I wonder if he were to publish his now infamous book "Satanic Versus" if he would be vilified by the democratic party? Would he be considered a liberal by today's "liberal" standard? I kind of think the guy should be able to write any book he wants but I don't know if any elected person in the democratic party would agree with that today.

This guy was a liberal back in 1988. I wonder if he were to publish his now infamous book "Satanic Versus" if he would be vilified by the democratic party? Would he be considered a liberal by today's "liberal" standard? I kind of think the guy should be able to write any book he wants but I don't know if any elected person in the democratic party would agree with that today.

I read he lives in New York he is ok and he still writes.

• Banned

I wonder what would happen if he tried to re-publish Satanic Versus.

This is what he said in 2012.

– Rushdie expressed doubt that The Satanic Verses would be published today because of a climate of "fear and nervousness".

Fear and nervousness is all right lol!

• Banned

– Rushdie expressed doubt that The Satanic Verses would be published today because of a climate of "fear and nervousness".

I'm sure there are pdfs of the book available at your local library.

I'm sure there are pdfs of the book available at your local library.

Probably. But I don't read that kind of literature anyway ..so :laugh:

The point I was making is that many liberals defended this guy (quite correctly to) as it was his right to publish the book. Would he receive the same treatment today?

The point I was making is that many liberals defended this guy (quite correctly to) as it was his right to publish the book. Would he receive the same treatment today?

My personal opinion is no.

Not in this sick, totalitarian, politically correct atmosphere we are living today.

He's still around.

He's a good, sincere, honest liberal, not a Regressive Leftist. He recently said:

Violence against writers and a misplaced sense of political correctness pose new dangers to freedom of speech in the West, writer Salman Rushdie said on Tuesday.Rushdie, the subject of an Iranian death threat in 1989 for his book "The Satanic Verses", which was deemed blasphemous by many Muslims, said he had not expected freedom of expression to come under attack again to this extent in the western world. "It seems to me the battle for free expression was won 100 years ago," the 68-year-old told an audience at the opening of the Frankfurt Book Fair, under heavy security. "The fact that we have to go on fighting this battle is the result of a number of regrettable, more recent phenomena."

Source: Rushdie warns of new dangers to free speech in West

Forum List

Back