What dramatic sea level rise could do

Maybe you just keep looking in all the wrong places, maybe the internet isn't so good a source of information, or maybe these people just aren't the experts you (and they) believe. In either regard, I dare you to prove a single item on my list wrong or inaccurate. My guess is that they miss or don't count the extinction 2.1 billion years ago during the Huronian having wiped out near all anaerobic life (the then predominant life on Earth) because they are simply going by a different standard.

You should take my list and do a little research on all of them , you will find them all quite factual.

Or maybe they are discounting the Cretaceous Extinction because it was caused by a combination of the Chicxulub impactor + the Deccan Traps.

Either way, there have been SIX mass extinctions.
Then why don't you find us a source that agrees with you?

Crick, I want to know what you think can be done to stop your sea level rise from happening? Even if I believed your bullshit without a doubt, what will fix it for mankind?

Driving an EV that produces more pollutants than it prevents?
Shooting a farting cow?
Have Al Gore's love child?
Move every human to an elevation above 500 feet?
Run around with water up to our knees after another 1000 years and refuse to move away from the ocean's edge?

Tell me oh wise one! What should we do about it?

And if this dramatic sea level is so devastating, why do we not see the loss of land in the FL Keys where elevations are, in many places, below the level they claim the sea has increased to? Hmmm.
In the late 60s, I lived for several years in Key West. During exceptionally high tides, several roads were known to go underwater. (Filling stations sold an oil spray for the entire undercarriage of your car with used oil to help prevent rust). I was transferred to Tallahassee in 1971. Since then I have visited every couple of years. The roads that went underwater in the late 60s, went underwater in 2021. No more, no less.

I lived on Elizabeth Street near the cemetery, Solares Hill, the highest point on the Key, eighteen feet above sea level. If Al Gore's or his compadre's predictions were accurate, it would not be an interesting place to snorkel! :D

Last edited:
Then why don't you find us a source that agrees with you?

I did, sort of, in like five seconds.

In it, you can see the five officially listed ME events in blue then at the bottom, you will see the Precambrian Great Oxygenation Event. Then if you click on that entry, it takes you right here:

And if you read down a paragraph or two, you will see where they admit (noting in red):

"The sudden injection of toxic oxygen into an anaerobic biosphere may have caused the extinction of many existing anaerobic species on Earth [the only life in abundance at that time]. Although the event is inferred to have constituted a mass extinction, due in part to the great difficulty in surveying microscopic species' abundances, and in part to the extreme age of fossil remains from that time, the Great Oxidation Event is typically not counted among conventional lists of "great extinctions", which are implicitly limited to the Phanerozoic eon. In any case, isotope geochemical data from sulfate minerals have been interpreted to indicate a decrease in the size of the biosphere of >80% associated with changes in nutrient supplies at the end of the GOE.

In the above you will note:

1. The event infers a MASS EXTINCTION from that far back.
  2. The experts simply ignore it in conventional lists because by their desired definition, they are looking at events only occurring during the Phanerozoic eon, which doesn't begin until the start of the Cambrian Explosion 550 million years ago where life as we know it today first got its start, consciously excluding the Proterozoic Eon and the roughly 2 billion years before where life existed, perhaps because life then was still essentially limited to just single cell organisms, but was life nevertheless.
  3. That the GOE mass extinction, whether they call it one or not resulted in a loss of more than 80% of the biosphere, which by any measure, IS a mass extinction!
So, put simply, the difference is merely a matter of misleading SEMANTICS to the casual reader, and rather than just read shit off a webpage and regurgitate it, I've gone beyond the text to correctly state that there was a SIXTH mass extinction event, which is simply not included in the conventional list by their own admission not because of WHAT happened, but simply because of WHEN.

And no matter when an extinction occurs, any event that takes out >80% of the biosphere is rightly one big whoop-ass of a MASS extinction event.

You're problem Crock is that whereas you are just a mere follower, reader and regurgitator, I'm a leader and an independent science thinker-analyst.

I'm right on scientific grounds and if someone printed that cows could fly, you'd just blindly accept and believe it.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
I did, sort of, in like five seconds.

In it, you can see the five officially listed ME events in blue then at the bottom, you will see the Precambrian Great Oxygenation Event. Then if you click on that entry, it takes you right here:

And if you read down a paragraph or two, you will see where they admit (noting in red):

"The sudden injection of toxic oxygen into an anaerobic biosphere may have caused the extinction of many existing anaerobic species on Earth [the only life in abundance at that time]. Although the event is inferred to have constituted a mass extinction, due in part to the great difficulty in surveying microscopic species' abundances, and in part to the extreme age of fossil remains from that time, the Great Oxidation Event is typically not counted among conventional lists of "great extinctions", which are implicitly limited to the Phanerozoic eon. In any case, isotope geochemical data from sulfate minerals have been interpreted to indicate a decrease in the size of the biosphere of >80% associated with changes in nutrient supplies at the end of the GOE.

In the above you will note:

1. The event infers a MASS EXTINCTION from that far back.
  2. The experts simply ignore it in conventional lists because by their desired definition, they are looking at events only occurring during the Phanerozoic eon, which doesn't begin until the start of the Cambrian Explosion 550 million years ago where life as we know it today first got its start, consciously excluding the Proterozoic Eon and the roughly 2 billion years before where life existed, perhaps because life then was still essentially limited to just single cell organisms, but was life nevertheless.
  3. That the GOE mass extinction, whether they call it one or not resulted in a loss of more than 80% of the biosphere, which by any measure, IS a mass extinction!
So, put simply, the difference is merely a matter of misleading SEMANTICS to the casual reader, and rather than just read shit off a webpage and regurgitate it, I've gone beyond the text to correctly state that there was a SIXTH mass extinction event, which is simply not included in the conventional list by their own admission not because of WHAT happened, but simply because of WHEN.

And no matter when an extinction occurs, any event that takes out >80% of the biosphere is rightly one big whoop-ass of a MASS extinction event.

You're problem Crock is that whereas you are just a mere follower, reader and regurgitator,
I'm a leader and an independent science thinker-analyst.

I'm right on scientific grounds and if someone printed that cows could fly, you'd just blindly accept and believe it.

Any other questions?
You will note that even YOUR sources say their were five mass extinction events but lots of other die-offs, precisely as I said. You will also note that your point is still completely irrelevant to the thread topic.

You will note that even YOUR sources say their were five mass extinction events

You apparently have a mental block. As the text clearly admits, there were six ME events, and they admit that they don't normally count anything before 550 million years ago on purpose simply because of semantical reasons.

An event which wipes out 85% of the earth's biomass is clearly a mass extinction event.

The GOE is a mass extinction event in any list considering the WHOLE 4 billion year history of life on the Earth and not just the last 0.5 billion years.

Your first link:

1682782545390.png

Hmm... "BIG FIVE"

Your second link concerns the specific event that you would like to include in MASS extinction event. Unfortunately for you it states:

"The sudden injection of toxic oxygen into an anaerobic biosphere may have caused the extinction of many existing anaerobic species on Earth. Although the event is inferred to have constituted a mass extinction,[7] due in part to the great difficulty in surveying microscopic species' abundances, and in part to the extreme age of fossil remains from that time, the Great Oxidation Event is typically not counted among conventional lists of "great extinctions", which are implicitly limited to the Phanerozoic eon."

And, again, your argument over 5 or 6 events has no bearing on the thread or forum topics. If you stop, I will stop.

Attachments

• 1682782496262.png
    1682782496262.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 8
Your first link:

Quit playing games and just admit that I was right, I know far more than you, and that my linked articles prove and admit I was right. They deliberately EXCLUDE any mass extinction events that are not within the Phanerozoic eon simply out of semantics because the term Phanerozoic derives from the ancient Greek words φανερός (phanerós), meaning visible, and ζωή (zōḗ), meaning life; since it was once believed that life began in the Cambrian, the first period of this eon.

Quit playing games and just admit that I was right, I know far more than you, and that my linked articles prove and admit I was right. They deliberately EXCLUDE any mass extinction events that are not within the Phanerozoic eon simply out of semantics because the term Phanerozoic derives from the ancient Greek words φανερός (phanerós), meaning visible, and ζωή (zōḗ), meaning life; since it was once believed that life began in the Cambrian, the first period of this eon.
Sorry but no.

The OP concerned a possible kill mechanism in the Kellwasser Event and/or Hangengerg Event that could potentially recur within the next few hundred years. The number of mass extinction events is irrelevant and your claims to intellectual superiority are cringe-worthy; reminds me of Trump's "stable genius".

It's in black and white PRINT that I was right which makes you a pathetic sap.
I have posted the black and white from YOUR sources as well as mine and every single one of them said you were wrong. I can post them all again if you'd like.
No, you ARE the brick wall.
Armed with all the facts we can both find and into which you're choosing to run your head.

I'll stop when you do.

I have posted the black and white from YOUR sources as well as mine and every single one of them said you were wrong.

Liar. I've already shown conclusively that mine said I was RIGHT in bold print, as well as all your sources being wrong and misleading by not including a mass extinction of 85% of all life on the planet AS a mass extinction! Any normal, reasonable, intelligent person would have simply said: "Oh, I see! I never knew that! I see your point why you said there were SIX mass extinctions and you make a very valid point." and moved on, rather than play menial child's games.

But we're apparently not dealing with a normal, reasonable, intelligent person in your case, but the typical, juvenile leftwing child.

Liar. I've already shown conclusively that mine said I was RIGHT in bold print, as well as all your sources being wrong and misleading by not including a mass extinction of 85% of all life on the planet AS a mass extinction! Any normal, reasonable, intelligent person would have simply said: "Oh, I see! I never knew that! I see your point why you said there were SIX mass extinctions and you make a very valid point." and moved on, rather than play menial child's games.

But we're apparently not dealing with a normal, reasonable, intelligent person in your case, but the typical, juvenile leftwing child.
That's enough for me. I knew you were a denier but I had no idea you were such an ignorant, thin-skinned asshole. Bye.

Geologists examining shale deposits have determined the likely kill mechanism in several mass extinction events: a loss of oxygen and simultaneous build up of hydrogen sulfide. A rapid rise in sea level from Greenland and/or Antarctic ice sheet destabilization could produce similar conditions.
You moron.

My family has beachfront property on the Gulf in Pinellas County Florida. My great grandfather bought the lot (three acres) back in the early 1930s. We still own it and it is one of the few undeveloped beach front in the county. There was no change in the sea level during his lifetime, my grandfather's lifetime, my father's lifetime or my life time. We are talking over 90 years. It is only three feet above sea level and the lowest point dropping off to the beach.

You always post idiotic Environmental Wackos bullshit. You are dumber than a doorknob. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about the dribble you post. You always get things wrong.

You moron.

My family has beachfront property on the Gulf in Pinellas County Florida. My great grandfather bought the lot (three acres) back in the early 1930s. We still own it and it is one of the few undeveloped beach front in the county. There was no change in the sea level during his lifetime, my grandfather's lifetime, my father's lifetime or my life time. We are talking over 90 years. It is only three feet above sea level and the lowest point dropping off to the beach.

You always post idiotic Environmental Wackos bullshit. You are dumber than a doorknob. You don't know your ass from a hole in the ground about the dribble you post. You always get things wrong.
Why don't you talk to the people at the University of Colorado Sea Level Research Group who are generally recognized to be the world's leading experts on the topic.

gmsl_2023rel1_seasons_rmvd.png

ClimateDashboard-global-sea-levels-graph-20220718-1400px.jpg

And before you go off the deep end, as this graph shows, since 1920, global sea level has increased by about 200 mm. That's 7-7/8ths of an inch. If you think you and your grandpa would have noticed sea level changing at a rate of 2 millimeters a year (ignoring any local uplift or sinking the land was doing) you're nuts.

Forum List

Back