Zone1 What does 1 Samuel 8 have to do with the United States of America circa 2024?

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
Well, in that passage, the people of Israel came to Samuel, the prophet and said that they, Israel, want a king to rule over them like other nations had.

And Samuel didn't like that but prayed about it. God told him that they were not rejecting Samuel, but Him. Samuel warned them that if they got what they wanted, their children would be servants of their king (and etc...). They demanded a king anyway.

This story seems to be a good one for showing how God often gives us what we want, even though He knows it will be bad for us. And no, I would not be the one to provide an explanation for that... I never claimed to understand God. Fortunately, Jesus Christ is all the God I need to know... or anyone else.

So yeh, Israel wanted to be like other nations and then as we read along in the story, we see what a bad decision this was.

This is a reading from the Missal, a book of Scriptures Catholics read and hear at Holy Mass... can't recall which day it is for but it is in January 2024 readings.

So..... The way i see things

looks like a theocracy is not a bad thing in the eyes of

God. It's apparently just a "bad" idea to humans

Well, in that passage, the people of Israel came to Samuel, the prophet and said that they, Israel, want a king to rule over them like other nations had.

And Samuel didn't like that but prayed about it. God told him that they were not rejecting Samuel, but Him. Samuel warned them that if they got what they wanted, their children would be servants of their king (and etc...). They demanded a king anyway.

This story seems to be a good one for showing how God often gives us what we want, even though He knows it will be bad for us. And no, I would not be the one to provide an explanation for that... I never claimed to understand God. Fortunately, Jesus Christ is all the God I need to know... or anyone else.

So yeh, Israel wanted to be like other nations and then as we read along in the story, we see what a bad decision this was.

This is a reading from the Missal, a book of Scriptures Catholics read and hear at Holy Mass... can't recall which day it is for but it is in January 2024 readings.

exactly. one of my favorite scriptures to explain trump. compare to aesop "the frog king"

you guys were not happy with obama. weak you said. "give us a strong president,,,,,"

No. There was not king or President speaking for God. There were just the prophets and judges to settle disputes.

The message is, only God can handle such power over men as men will always abuse such power.

If anyone thinks that a theocracy is a good idea, why? The founding fathers didn't think it was a good idea, which is why there is a separation of church and state, as well as no official religion for the USA.

Lots of Muslims think that a theocracy is the way to go, and look how that has turned out.

If anyone thinks that a theocracy is a good idea, why? The founding fathers didn't think it was a good idea, which is why there is a separation of church and state, as well as no official religion for the USA.

Lots of Muslims think that a theocracy is the way to go, and look how that has turned out.
Muslims believe in killing anyone who disagrees with them. They're like liberals that way.

So please, just cut it out, this comparing Catholic monarchies to murderous cults who don't know Jesus

Man is to make God their king, but man prefers other men to rule over them thus taking his job.
Man is to make God their king (sic)?

This could mean that man is supposed to make God his king

or thinks about it... or whatever

Muslims believe in killing anyone who disagrees with them. They're like liberals that way.

So please, just cut it out, this comparing Catholic monarchies to murderous cults who don't know Jesus
The Catholic church has a terrible history of power-hungry Popes using their power to abuse the masses.

Try again.

The Catholic church has a terrible history of power-hungry Popes using their power to abuse the masses.

Try again.
Right, another one compares a Christian monarchy to a brutal, murderous, don't-know-Jesus sect

whatever

:rolleyes:

Man is to make God their king (sic)?

This could mean that man is supposed to make God his king

or thinks about it... or whatever
Did God give man a king or did man demand a king?

It's not this hard, really.

Right, another one compares a Christian monarchy to a brutal, murderous, don't-know-Jesus sect

whatever

:rolleyes:
Was God in the Inquisitions and burning people at the stake?

Was God in persecuting the Jews in all manner of different ways?

Was God in the Crusades?

Or was it just man exercising raw political power over his fellow man in the form of a Pope?

What say you?

Was God in the Inquisitions and burning people at the stake?

Was God in persecuting the Jews in all manner of different ways?

Was God in the Crusades?

Or was it just man exercising raw political power over his fellow man in the form of a Pope?

What say you?
God is everywhere.

And as always, words and concepts need to be defined before one can know what exactly a person is asking about.

I already know that Protestants don't have a clue about Catholicism...

so there's that..

God is everywhere.

And as always, words and concepts need to be defined before one can know what exactly a person is asking about.

I already know that Protestants don't have a clue about Catholicism...

so there's that..
Constantine said he conquered in the name of God.

Was God behind this?

We already see what the Pope does and says today. He gives sermons about the evils of climate change and building walls, and blesses gay unions.

Is God behind this?

Forum List

Back