What do you think of the Right to Repair movement?

Should auto and tractor manufacturers be forced to let us repair our cars?

• Yes, bring back the old days and shade tree mechanics

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Yes, but limited to mechanical parts. Software that controls safety features should not be.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
He makes no sense........"Inside or outside of the warranty if you mess with anything it will void the warranty".

That makes absolutely no sense. If it's under warranty you make them fix it. If not you can't void the warranty by fixing it yourself because there is no warranty.

I did a speech on this in college in the early 80's. This argument has been around for a very long time but as this guy shows there is very little to it.

Now is it difficult to fix many things in your garage like you once used to be able to? Yes, you need computers and special tools to fix some things but if you have those you can still do it yourself. There is not going to be the "home repair police" going home to home checking on this.

He makes no sense........"Inside or outside of the warranty if you mess with anything it will void the warranty".

That makes absolutely no sense. If it's under warranty you make them fix it. If not you can't void the warranty by fixing it yourself because there is no warranty.

I did a speech on this in college in the early 80's. This argument has been around for a very long time but as this guy shows there is very little to it.

Now is it difficult to fix many things in your garage like you once used to be able to? Yes, you need computers and special tools to fix some things but if you have those you can still do it yourself. There is not going to be the "home repair police" going home to home checking on this.
/——-/ I subscribe to his videos. And he occasionally makes a gaff. I think what he means is that if you attempt to fix it yourself out of warranty and run into a problem, the dealership may refuse to fix it.

Secondly, if you have a Tesla, any repair you do yourself, like changing a flat, the car sends an alert to the manufacturer. So, yeah the Home Repair Police is here to stay. Service | Tesla

/——-/ I subscribe to his videos. And he occasionally makes a gaff. I think what he means is that if you attempt to fix it yourself out of warranty and run into a problem, the dealership may refuse to fix it.

Secondly, if you have a Tesla, any repair you do yourself, like changing a flat, the car sends an alert to the manufacturer. So, yeah the Home Repair Police is here to stay. Service | Tesla

I have a mechanic friend that refuses to do the same thing. I don't really blame them. Few mechanics want to try and sort through your messes.

He allows me to work on my car in his garage. Once putting a transmission back together I couldn't figure out how something went. I asked him. He simply said "I didn't take it apart".

Dealership mechanics work off flat rate. There is no way to determine flat rate where someone else has screwed things up.

If Tesla wants to know I changed my tire, whatever. I changed my tire.

A lot of warranties are limited. For instance my pack unit warranty covers parts but not labor so yes a may get a free $25 sensor but it is going to cost me a few hundred dollars in labor if I call the AC guys as I found out a year into owning it. $150 an hour to show up, decide what parts are needed, drive across town to get those parts and come back and install them.

Plus this isn't the early 80's. Big data is getting big. Car parts places are increasingly tied into total information. They somehow know all the vehicles I own including one I've never bought a part for which means someone out there besides them knows whenever I buy a part for one of my vehicles at Autozone.

A lot of warranties are limited. For instance my pack unit warranty covers parts but not labor so yes a may get a free $25 sensor but it is going to cost me a few hundred dollars in labor if I call the AC guys as I found out a year into owning it. $150 an hour to show up, decide what parts are needed, drive across town to get those parts and come back and install them.

Plus this isn't the early 80's. Big data is getting big. Car parts places are increasingly tied into total information. They somehow know all the vehicles I own including one I've never bought a part for which means someone out there besides them knows whenever I buy a part for one of my vehicles at Autozone.

You have a lousy A/C repairman. Not the manufacturers fault. Just like in the video, if you never bought a part for a particular car, Autozone has no idea you own that car.

I watch this guy on right to repair. His gripe is with Apple not allowing parts on the secondary market forcing in-house repair as the only option.

That is plainly wrong...

Forum List

Back