What do you think happens after we die?

A one use light switch.

photos%2FLight_switch_.jpg

There doesn't have to be a point. That's the point. :)

That could be said about anything:)

But I'm saying it in the context of a meaning to life. I'm rather simplistic in my thoughts of life. I see life as an opposite of death. The meaning of death is the end of life. Then the meaning to life is the end of death.

We have yet to find that but we're looking all over the place. Life everlasting. So, if we ever find a way to live forever, we will understand the true meaning of life, which is not to die.

:dunno:

I get your meaning.

It's still painful to experience death when people you love die, so I think wanting a meaning for life must be a human yearning or something.

Do you have a religious belief about death?

If you are not religious do you still think we exist in a different form after we die here?

Are you afraid of death?

Do you think loved ones can still communicate after death or do they just move onto another plane of existence, or just dead?

What's the point of living if we just die.

We continue to exist in the minds of those we influenced while we were alive. Even moreso in the minds of those whom we loved and loved us back.

If you are not religious do you still think we exist in a different form after we die here?

Are you afraid of death?

Do you think loved ones can still communicate after death or do they just move onto another plane of existence, or just dead?

We continue to exist in the minds of those we influenced while we were alive. Even moreso in the minds of those whom we loved and loved us back.

What about if you were estranged from someone important in your life and then they die?

Are you afraid of death?

What about if you were estranged from someone important in your life and then they die?

Whatever is left in their minds as the salient portion of "you" survives. The most compelling notion of what a "soul" is, in my view, falls along the lines of "mind as meme". I find the works of Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter most compelling in this realm. The human soul is something akin to an algorithm - encoded information that maintains a concept of 'self'. That can live on independent of a specific brain or body.

Whatever is left in their minds as the salient portion of "you" survives. The most compelling notion of what a "soul" is, in my view, falls along the lines of "mind as meme". I find the works of Daniel Dennett and Douglas Hofstadter most compelling in this realm. The human soul is something akin to an algorithm - encoded information that maintains a concept of 'self'. That can live on independent of a specific brain or body.

reboot=reincarnate ?

But I'm saying it in the context of a meaning to life. I'm rather simplistic in my thoughts of life. I see life as an opposite of death. The meaning of death is the end of life. Then the meaning to life is the end of death.

We have yet to find that but we're looking all over the place. Life everlasting. So, if we ever find a way to live forever, we will understand the true meaning of life, which is not to die.

I get your meaning.

It's still painful to experience death when people you love die, so I think wanting a meaning for life must be a human yearning or something.

The death of a loved one's an entirely different thing. That's a loss of my connection to the life of one I love. It's the loss of their life and not their death that I mourn.

When the loneliness of the loss comes, I combat it with remembrances of their lives and what they meant to me.

If we lived forever I somehow doubt making a meaning of our lives would hold the same importance.

Obviously a pet is different then a person, I have had to deal with death of my relative in october and throughout the year just themes of death.

Since we are all going to die , I guess the only thing to do is live and give while I can.

What do you mean, "obviously" a pet is different than a person?

I have a dog whose death will be more devastating to me than the deaths of most people I know.

I guess I'm one of the only people who fears death. I can't believe how many people say they don't fear death! Oh, they say they worry about how they're going to die and whether they will suffer, but they don't fear death itself.

Good grief. I fear death. Mainly because of the unknown quality of it. Also because of those I will leave behind who need me. I think it would be easier to die if all your loved ones have already died before you.

I've also noticed that many of these people who say they don't fear death get mighty scared-looking when they think they're facing it.

Even though I fear it, I recognize death is as natural as birth. But just because it's natural doesn't mean it's not scary as hell.

Daniel Dennett says he has solved the mind body problem, and "mind is brain".

I say he has no idea what he is talking about as my many years of experience in spiritualist churches tells me that we do survive death. Therefore mind is stored in a higher plane of existence and it is simply being channeled down into the brain. Through the chakas in the etheric counterpart.

According to the occult we have several higher bodies, like the astral body, and the mental body, and the soul or causual body. It is in the soul body that consciousness is stored. The soul body is formless and infinitely expandable, and it contains the memories of all past lives.

Obviously a pet is different then a person, I have had to deal with death of my relative in october and throughout the year just themes of death.

Since we are all going to die , I guess the only thing to do is live and give while I can.

I have a dog whose death will be more devastating to me than the deaths of most people I know.

Did you read the entire thread?

My Pet died but then 2 days after my pet died my dad died and I posted about it in this thread.

Both were upsetting deaths but my dad's death felt worse.

I also said I was afraid of death. :cool:

My Pet died but then 2 days after my pet died my dad died and I posted about it in this thread.

Well, that's how you felt, it's not necessarily how everyone would feel. All I'm saying is that if by "obviously a pet is different than a person" you mean that pets are loved less than people, that is not always the case.

Well, that's how you felt, it's not necessarily how everyone would feel. All I'm saying is that if by "obviously a pet is different than a person" you mean that pets are loved less than people, that is not always the case.

There are no absolutes.

You also made a remark about nobody saying they were afraid of death, and I had stated I was afraid of it from the very beginning of this thread.

Of course it is not "always" the case, but more often then not people love their kids or parents more then their pets.

A one use light switch.

photos%2FLight_switch_.jpg

There doesn't have to be a point. That's the point. :)

Does this account for the difference between physical life that has an end
and spiritual life that may continue to go on?

What about death as meaning a spiritual change.
Doesn't that explain both levels of life changes, whether physical mental or spiritual?

People can go through a spiritual death and not a physical one.
Do you account for both kinds of "spiritual change"? Or do you call it something else?

There are no absolutes.

You also made a remark about nobody saying they were afraid of death, and I had stated I was afraid of it from the very beginning of this thread.

Of course it is not "always" the case, but more often then not people love their kids or parents more then their pets.

What I said was:

I guess I'm one of the only people who fears death. I can't believe how many people say they don't fear death!

I worded it that way specifically to allow for the fact that SOME people do admit to being afraid of death. But I've noticed that a whole lot of people claim to have no fear of it. Not ALL...but a lot of them.

144000 chosen people will ascend as spirits to heaven to help God and Jesus run the restored Earth. Jesus will be King answering only to God.

A common misinterpretation of the Bible. Revelation chapter 7 states that 144,000 will be chosen from the tribes of Isreal...in other words from the Jewish tradition of the old testament. Not that 144,000 will be the total of the saved.

In Revelations 7:9 the text goes on to state that " After this I had a vision of a great multitude , which no one could count, from every people, race, nation and tongue and they cried out "Salvation comes from our God, who is seated on the throne, and from the Lamb" (being Jesus Christ).

These mentioned above represent those who are saved by Jesus Christ through grace.

Last edited:
The spirit world teaches that after we die our conciousness expands. For one thing we are no longer using the physical brain. Added to that we begin to move away from the personality of our last incarnation, to a broader mind free of our earthly conditioning.

We find ourselves in a spirit world that matches our stage of spiritual evolution, and for most of us that will be a very pleasant experience of a far better world than this one.

But no, i can't prove anything.

We do not live in this world, then just die and there's nothing else. Anyone that believes this is crazy. What happens to our souls then? SOMETHING goes on after death......

I appreciate your hope.

:beer: Spiritual Possibilities!!

I still think that any Monkey who tells me that they know what happens when death comes knockin' is the Monkey who's deceived.

They call death 'The Great Unknown' for a damn good reason.

Had another death in my family, since oct my cousin, my dad and now my sister.

I feel like I am losing my mind the pain so excruciating. I can hardly take it.

I feel like Im walking in a dream. Nothing feels real.

Had another death in my family, since oct my cousin, my dad and now my sister.

I feel like I am losing my mind the pain so excruciating. I can hardly take it.

I feel like Im walking in a dream. Nothing feels real.

Sorry to hear of your losses. You might try going to a spiritualist church, as you may get comforting messages from your relatives. I attended churches for a number of years and had many evidential messages from my grandparents who had passed over.

You might also have spiritual healing, which is normally free of charge in most churches, This might give you some upliftment because mental suffering clouds the aura, and healing clears the negative energies away.

Forum List

Back