What do we do with Poor People?

I have an issue about your question. Do you really believe life gives us that choice? I've posted links for probably ten years where right-wingers were asked to use the data and prove their case. The links actually show the spending in every state for social programs. I've probably done it at least a couple hundred times and no right-winger has ever used that data on actual spending to make a case that we are spending too much, because the data doesn't support the rhetoric.

What do we do with Poor People?

To start with, get away from the Republican Party and stop making poor people!

Here is the link you will not use, because the truth is not going to support your claim!

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/fas-10.pdf

You aren't going to use it, because you're a typical right-wing asshole trying to make something out of nothing.

so do you support forced sterilizations?

Because that seems like the only way

Are you nuts? People like you need to get out in the public and express these views, so you can allow them to open up a can.

you used the phrase

"stop making poor people"

are you nuts?

I was able to pay for my college working during the summer, but the minimum wage was at it's all time high in real dollars back then. It isn't that way now for young people and college leaves them heavily in debt.

I'm not a fool who thinks all lives and times are the same.

I finished My masters degree 3 years ago

The people today do not have the opportunities I had.

bullshit.

there are more opportunities than ever and the young people today have more material comforts and wealth than we ever had.

PS read my statement again. I finished My masters degree 3 years ago

after being out of school for decades.

Would you rather help a poor man so he's comfortable in poverty, or help a poor man rise up from poverty?

Give them opportunity, if they don't take advantage then they are on their own.

But that will be hard to do with the flood of illegal immigrants. It will be hard to do with the "free" trade agreements Clinton enacted. Both liberal policies that has destroyed the working class.

Last edited:

bullshit.

there are more opportunities than ever and the young people today have more material comforts and wealth than we ever had.

How about for those who can't be educated, or won't? I agree with what you are saying I am just not sure that there are the low skill jobs that used to exist in the mills.

Would you rather help a poor man so he's comfortable in poverty, or help a poor man rise up from poverty?

There will always be poor people among us and always has been since the beginning of time and safety nets for them. We can help some of them up but there are always reasons for poverty beyond getting them to help themselves. Elderly, children, disables and handicap and mentally ill. We have thousands of poor disabled vets that we have to take care of. Are you suggesting they are comfortable in their poverty? "Unforseen circumstances befalls us all?" "Beware that when you are standing they you don't fall."

You can be on top with a job today and at the bottom unemployed tomorrow. You sound like you were born with a father like Romney had who gave him a helping hand. If higher education was more affordable or free there would be less poverty because the poor could afford to attend college.
Obvious radical right wing village idiots think the same as you do.:evil:
If welfare mothers were helpe with education and child care there would be less of them on welfare. Less crime among the poor black man who has been the target of discrimination in education and workforce. Society can be partly the blame for poverty.

Last edited:
Hey, did any of you fuking rethug assholes offer a job to a welfare recipient yet?

NO? Then stfu.

Most of my tax dollars get wasted on the military or foreign aid. Or favorable tax treatment for people with more money than God. You don't here people like me whining and bitching about wasting money on people that don't need it. Or don't deserve it. Or buy their favorable treatment with big campaign donations.

So quit whining. From what I read here, most of you rethugs own business's. So once again, have you hired a welfare recipient?

Hey, did any of you fuking rethug assholes offer a job to a welfare recipient yet?

NO? Then stfu.

Most of my tax dollars get wasted on the military or foreign aid. Or favorable tax treatment for people with more money than God. You don't here people like me whining and bitching about wasting money on people that don't need it. Or don't deserve it. Or buy their favorable treatment with big campaign donations.

So quit whining. From what I read here, most of you rethugs own business's. So once again, have you hired a welfare recipient?

I wouldn't know if a welfare recipient ever sent me a resume. How would I? I don't ask if a person was ever on welfare.

I hire based on three things, experience, references and my personal opinion of the person. If an applicant has no experience in the field, poor references or I just don't like them they don't get hired.

Last edited:
One of the biggest flaws in this dichotomy is that only the poor depend on government. Consider our congress, do they not depend on government, consider our defense, would all the right wing wackos with guns volunteer to maintain world peace? Or even police the cities of America? Would those so mindlessly brainwashed people inspect our foods, or provide a means of law that settled disputes? Build the infrastructure that supports us all? Teach? Put out fires? No, of course not, these debates are the mindless drivel of partisan puppets who live a bubble so dense the real world is missing completely. When did the poor people become a concept of discussion, who are these people, did they choose to have their livelihood moved to India or China? Did these poor people stand by while automation and technology advances changed work. Anyone who can think in so stark a division of people is a fool, plain and simple, a stupid fool. Adjective required.

How about these dependents on government? http://www.conservativenannystate.org/cns.html

APP - Rich And Poor Jobs And Wages
http://www.usmessageboard.com/clean...y-jobs-are-not-being-created.html#post5757140
http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...e-dumbest-gaffe-or-does-he-6.html#post5651977

"A surefire politics of change would necessarily involve getting people in the middle — from the 30th to the 70th percentile — to see their own economic self-interest. If they vote in their own self-interest, they’ll elect people who are likely to be more aligned with people with lower incomes as well as with them. As long as people in the middle identify more with people on the top than with those on the bottom, we are doomed. The obscene amount of money flowing into the electoral process makes things harder yet." Peter Edelman http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/why-cant-we-end-poverty-in-america.html

"['Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act'— now widely referred to as welfare repeal]...fails to acknowledge the role that scientific poverty expertise played in bringing welfare as we knew it to an end. Following a well-established pattern in post–Great Society policy analysis, the Clinton administration’s poverty experts had already embraced and defined the parameters of a sweeping welfare reform featuring proposals that promised to change the behavior of poor people while paying little more than rhetorical attention to the problems of low-wage work, rising income inequality, or structural economic change, and none at all to the steadily mounting political disenfranchisement of the postindustrial working class. Approaching the poverty problem within the narrow conceptual frame of individual failings rather than structural inequality, of cultural and skill “deficits” rather than the unequal distribution of power and wealth, the social scientific architects of President Clinton’s original, comparatively less punitive welfare reform proposal made “dependency” their principal target and then stood by helpless as congressional conservatives took their logic to its radical extreme. Their helplessness in the matter was not just a matter of “bad” politics laying “good” scientific knowledge to waste. It was also a failure of the knowledge itself." Introduction, Alice O'Connor: 'Poverty Knowledge' [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Poverty-Knowledge-Science-Twentieth-Century-Politics/dp/0691102554/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy, and the Poor in Twentieth-Century U.S. History (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America): Alice O'Connor: 9780691102559: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

bullshit.

How about for those who can't be educated, or won't? I agree with what you are saying I am just not sure that there are the low skill jobs that used to exist in the mills.

3/4 of HS graduates will not earn a university degree, yet parents expect the schools to somehow transform their low achieving child.

and I agree that there are few mill jobs. they went to asia starting in the 1970s.

Now we are a service economy. there are tons of jobs in those fields especially health care.

Just what to do about unskilled job?

Hell, if someone would want to mow my grass, clean my rain gutters or do some weed whacking i would pay them.

the problem is that it's actual physical labor.

I'm around teens. The prevailing attitude is;

Not me I'm too good for that

What to do with poor people?

Start from the early years by educating our youth again by teaching them HOW to think, rather than WHAT to think, and teach them a little bit about personal accountability while not relying on government to wipe their ass for them. Yes it starts at home.

It's too late for the dumb fuckers already relying on government for everything, cut them off and let them fend for themselves.

And the required disclaimer that I'm referring to those with their health

Why don't you idiots learn to think for a change? This whole idea that poor people are on the dole and sell out the Republican Party because the Democrats have bought them shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation, but most importantly people. To your kind, these are poor people and nothing in your minds treat them as indiviuals. The concept that these are actual living human beings is totally foreign to your ways of thinking.

Think of an individual human being for a change. That human being has pride, even if they are poor and that pride can't be purchased in food stamps. Your whole premise against those poor people is wrong. That poor person has a mind and if they don't like the Republican Party, it's because of the Republican Party and how it's treated them in their lives. They aren't going to like the Republicans if they hit the lottery.

Now let's see how this new perspective plays out! Think of America as a bunch of people who are all individuals! You can categorize those individuals into a group, but each member are making up their own minds based on their experience in the world. When you can make a generalization that Blacks, Hispanics, unions, poor people, whatever are against Republicans, it isn't because of group think, it's because the Republican Party has pissed off so many individuals in that group that the generalization about the group becomes true. Here's another example and it's the Cuba Americans in Florida. They have overwhelmingly supported the Republican Party and the reason is the Bay of Pigs invasion. Cuban Americans individuals decided that Kennedy let them down, he is a Democrat and they aren't voting for Democrats. All those are generalizations, of course, because there are always exceptions, but you get the idea.

It isn't a mystery why a group supports or opposes a political party and why would I want to blame the group or the individuals in that group? It was the political party that made the choice of how to behave that way to those individuals. I blame the political party.

I see people on the far left doing similar things to Christians. The Republican Party had a political movement of the New Right designed by think tanks and when they lost the '64 election, they actively courted the Christians to join them. 7 of the 9 Justices who voted for Roe v Wade were Republican appointees, but when objections to abortion became politically important to attract the Christians, the Republicans adopted it to their platform. There you have a strategic policy where abortion trumps helping the poor and Republicans made great gains amongst Christians. I've seen leftists attack Christianity because generally the Fundamentalists vote Republican and that's the same reason you see Republicans attacking the poor. It's done by stupid people not even knowing they are hurting the party they support. In my mind, if you aren't willing to have a big tent, then the political party is being stupid.

Why do you think the right wingers are buying ammunition by the gross? Scary proposition but sooner or later their hatred will boil over.

I'm thinking about buying bulk 22 ammo before the price goes up any higher. I don't think I'm alone

but in your case it's a racist conspiracy.

am i right?

NO? Then stfu.

I wouldn't know if a welfare recipient ever sent me a resume. How would I? I don't ask if a person was ever on welfare.

I hire based on three things, experience, references and my personal opinion of the person. If an applicant has no experience in the field, poor references or I just don't like them they don't get hired.

You are nuts dude. Welfare recipients with a resume! LAMO. What will it say? Education. None. Documentable work history; NONE. Skills; NONE. Remember, according to people like you, welfare folks have been on welfare for ever.

SO there is one rethug that won't be hiring a welfare recipient. Anyone else want to hire a welfare recipient?

Last one I hired, I had to send home. No tools and wouldn't work hard. For 8 bucks an hour. But I am not the one bitching about them. And maybe where you live, you have a higher calibre of welfare recipients. With resumes'. And job skills. And education.

bullshit.

Today people have an opportunity to go to college, maybe get a job in their field afterwards and live heavily in debt for many years. I could easily earn enough money pumping gasoline during a summer to pay for college and not walk out of college in debt. People today don't have that opportunity.

What makes you all think that welfare recipients vote? You think they are highly motivated citizens wanting to do their civic duty?

Do you think that there are so many welfare folks that they can swing elections? Reaally. How many people you think are on welfare that vote.

Does the census show that info?

Why do you think the right wingers are buying ammunition by the gross? Scary proposition but sooner or later their hatred will boil over.

I'm thinking about buying bulk 22 ammo before the price goes up any higher. I don't think I'm alone

but in your case it's a racist conspiracy.

am i right?

What are you, a commodity trader? Or preparing for the coming war? A Red Yawner.

What makes you all think that welfare recipients vote? You think they are highly motivated citizens wanting to do their civic duty?

Do you think that there are so many welfare folks that they can swing elections? Reaally. How many people you think are on welfare that vote.

Does the census show that info?

The census won't show that information, but I would guess around 2 million or less.

The prevailing attitude is;

Not me I'm too good for that

This raises an important point. The structure of our economy has changed, yet many people continue to have long outdated attitudes toward our job and labor markets that are hindering our ability to progress as a society. I'll take nursing as an example once again. When I was pursuing a nursing career I was constantly confronted with people questioning why I would want to be a nurse, as opposed to a doctor, or something else altogether different. The attitude was that it was beneath me. Attitudes towards nursing as a profession have improved over the past two decades, but even now there is still a certain stigma that is often attached to the field, like many other fields.

Later, when I decided to change my plans and pursue the much less expensive route of becoming a dental assistant, I was met with about 100 times more stigma, partially due to my gender. That time, it was enough to convince me to abandon that plan completely.

Our unemployment problems aren't going to be solved with easy answers. It's going to take an evolution of our attitudes towards "low" jobs, and a re-evaluation of their importance in our modern society. Importance, not just for the fact that they provide in demand services, but also for the fact that they are becoming the new fuel that powers our economy.

NO? Then stfu.

You are nuts dude. Welfare recipients with a resume! LAMO. What will it say? Education. None. Documentable work history; NONE. Skills; NONE. Remember, according to people like you, welfare folks have been on welfare for ever.

SO there is one rethug that won't be hiring a welfare recipient. Anyone else want to hire a welfare recipient?

Last one I hired, I had to send home. No tools and wouldn't work hard. For 8 bucks an hour. But I am not the one bitching about them. And maybe where you live, you have a higher calibre of welfare recipients. With resumes'. And job skills. And education.

People like me?

You have no idea what you're talking about. Figures you're a fucking ovine.

And if you want to accuse me of bitching about anyone then find the post and quote it.

And tell me why would I hire anyone if they had no experience in the field my business operates?

I don't hire unskilled labor. I can't afford to. I don't care if a person was on welfare or not all i care about is that they did something about it.

Forum List

Back