What do we do with Poor People?

I prefer to do both

Provide a safety net and a means to improve your lot in life

9 trillion dolllars since the inception of welfare and we still have the same amount if not more people in poverty.

That ought to tell you something.

It sort of tells me you're stupid.

800px-US_poverty_rate_timeline.gif

You right-wingers bitch about Johnson all the time. He had the highest annual jobs creation of any President since WWII, when there was full mobilization. Notice how many millions of people were removed from poverty. People on welfare aren't removed from poverty. Notice how poverty goes up with Republican Presidents and down with Democrats.

800px-US_poverty_rate_by_age._Timeline.gif

Notice how the elderly went from being the highest percentage in poverty to the lowest. When people's parents are poor, don't you think it's an added burden to people of working age?

You've just helped me prove my point, and I'm the stupid one? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

Would you rather help a poor man so he's comfortable in poverty, or help a poor man rise up from poverty?

You have to define the term "poor". You seem to confuse it with "homeless" which is a different category. The American "poor" live better than any other "poor" people on the globe.

Total number of U.S. jobs outsourced in 2011 2,273,392
See: Job Outsourcing Statistics | Statistic Brain

A lot of those outsourced jobs could serve as entry level jobs for America's unemployed poor.
If the Republicans want to generate political support for reducing welfare benefits for the unemployed they should also support initiatives to bring those outsourced jobs back to the USA.

That's not quite the way it works.

Did you know that the United States is the world's largest manufacturing economy? We produce 18.2 percent of global manufactured products vs. second-place Chine with 17.6 percent.

Facts About Manufacturing, Manufacturing Strategy - National Association of Manufacturers - Manufacturing Association

Our nation’s unemployment rate is an important focus for the upcoming Presidential election. It’s also been a potent campaign tool, as both parties have accused the other of “outsourcing” and “sending jobs overseas.”

“Outsourcing” continues to make headlines. But an important question goes unaddressed: what are its real consequences?

According to The Heritage Foundation’s Amy Payne, outsourcing opponents fail to understand “the reality of jobs in America, and the ways to bring even more jobs to the home front.”

There are a lot of myths about outsourced jobs, particularly in the manufacturing sector. The truth is that the U.S. actually leads the world in manufacturing, producing 21 percent of global manufactured products. And several big manufacturers are building new plants in the U.S., including BMW and Airbus, creating more manufacturing jobs.

In fact, Payne reports, outsourcing benefits the U.S. as international firms locate operations here: “the total value of foreign investment in the United States exceeds the value of U.S. investments in other countries by more than $4 trillion. Foreign-owned multinational corporations employ 5.5 million people in the United States.”

On C-SPAN recently, Heritage’s Bryan Riley pointed out the facts on investment:

The Truth About ?Outsourcing? and the Real Fix for Our Economy | myHeritage

According to the material that you quoted "The total value of foreign investment in the United States exceeds the value of U.S. investments in other countries by more than $4 trillion. Foreign-owned multinational corporations employ 5.5 million people in the United States”

When foreign companies invest in U.S. businesses, known as foreign direct investment (FDI), it not only provides jobs, but relatively high-paying jobs – indeed, up to 30% higher-paying. Encouraging more FDI and expanding the number of countries that invest in the United States would potentially lead to more economic growth and create even more new, high-paying U.S. jobs. During the last ten years, majority-owned U.S. affiliates of foreign companies have employed between 5-6 million workers. Workers at majority-owned U.S. affiliates of foreign companies receive 30% higher pay than non-FDI supported jobs. (See Figure 1 below.)
223940_original.jpg

Source: Foreign Direct Investment in the United States

But there is a problem here. The graph shows that majority owned U.S. affiliates of foreign firms pay significantly higher wages (measured as compensation per employee) than do U.S. firms, taken as a whole. But the question under discussion is "What do we do with poor people?". This graph shows that foreign owned firms are offering good wages to middle class employees, NOT that these firms are providing employment opportunities to poorer individuals or to individuals suffering from long periods of unemployment. People in those situations need look elsewhere for employment than these "Majority Owned U.S. Affiliates of Foreign Firms" :mad:

Would you rather help a poor man so he's comfortable in poverty, or help a poor man rise up from poverty?

You have to define the term "poor". You seem to confuse it with "homeless" which is a different category. The American "poor" live better than any other "poor" people on the globe.
ALL Americans live it up better per class Whitehall, ie middle class, upper class etc live better than their class equivalent anywhere else in the world.... so, the poor doing such in this country is no different, which does NOT negate the fact that they are still poor in this country relative to the middle class or upper classes in this Nation....we are a country of excess....compared to most...

9 trillion dolllars since the inception of welfare and we still have the same amount if not more people in poverty.

That ought to tell you something.

You right-wingers bitch about Johnson all the time. He had the highest annual jobs creation of any President since WWII, when there was full mobilization. Notice how many millions of people were removed from poverty. People on welfare aren't removed from poverty. Notice how poverty goes up with Republican Presidents and down with Democrats.

Notice how the elderly went from being the highest percentage in poverty to the lowest. When people's parents are poor, don't you think it's an added burden to people of working age?

You've just helped me prove my point, and I'm the stupid one? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

Sure I did and that's why you were so specific with your post!

Of course, poverty is defined within cultural contexts, since different societies have different needs that are associated with minimal functionality within that society. For example, in many areas of the US, having a car ends up being a necessity in order to maintain minimal functionality within society. That might seem like quite a luxury in comparison to the "poor" in certain regions of Africa. But if the expense of having that car just to be able to get to work and back every day makes an American just as much strapped to try to provide for his family as the person in Africa, then both people are equally poor.

How many people do that?

Too many.

How many? Got a number? Got a dollar figure? Got an idea how many of them vote?

You nutters cannot answer any of those questions....even though they serve as the backbone of your economic philosophy. HOW MANY?????????

I don't have a number. I don't think a lack of a tally of lifelong welfare recipients obviates the argument that our welfare system is being gamed. Fraud which hurts those with legitimate need and the taxpayer.

I would hope all vote that can verify eligibility to do so.

Sure I did and that's why you were so specific with your post!

My post was factually correct. And you called me stupid.

I doubt I get an apology.

Too many.

How many? Got a number? Got a dollar figure? Got an idea how many of them vote?

You nutters cannot answer any of those questions....even though they serve as the backbone of your economic philosophy. HOW MANY?????????

I don't have a number. I don't think a lack of a tally of lifelong welfare recipients obviates the argument that our welfare system is being gamed. Fraud which hurts those with legitimate need and the taxpayer.

I would hope all vote that can verify eligibility to do so.

Why not? You know that these leeches are the reason we are in such a financial shithole. They are living off the public dole. But you don't know how many or how much they are consuming?

Sounds like irrational emotional bullshit to me.

Forum List

Back