What do people think of Ricky Gervais?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by WeyrichWasRight, Jun 6, 2011.

1. WeyrichWasRight

WeyrichWasRight Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He's sort of funny, but sometimes he's just annoying. I can't decide if he's too much of a Hollywood lib or really an outsider having fun at everyone's expense. The reason I ask is this harsh blog I read today:

Ricky Gervais: Profiting Big From Bigotry

"He catapulted to fame by stealing the concept for the popular American televisions series “The Office” with his own British version. It was a crudely crafted effort, with unsteady cameras and clumsy close-ups. The actors on the show looked uncomfortable before the lens and there were far too many stream of consciousness diatribes that a better production company would have edited out. From there, Gervais came to Hollywood with a cable series entitled “Extras.” It was quickly cancelled due to lack of popular interest. Left with no mainstream outlet, this megalomaniacal media addict has taken to broadcasting his thoughts through internet podcasts and anti-American newspaper editorials. A recent column had Mr. Gervais preaching that he was better than most Christians because (he claimed) he had violated none of the Ten Commandments. In summation, he proudly stated, “Not bad for an atheist!” As Dr. Robert Johnston, professor of theology and culture at Fuller Theological Seminar promptly responded in the Christian Post, “Ricky has chosen to be reductive in defining Christianity as an ethic rather than a relationship with God that includes ethics but is much broader and wider than that.”

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    Well, if it's on a blog, it must be true.

Or are you just trying to increase the hit rate on your blog?

3. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,834
    I agree with the OP.

4. Smash_Hits

Smash_Hits STEELY DAN !

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I love him.

5. Nate

Nate Still supporting Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Wow, this guy, Stephenson Billings, really has it out for Gervais!! As for Gervais stealing "The Office" the guy needs to get his facts straight, Gervais created that comedy in England and now produces the American version!

I mean wtf! He's not my favorite comedian but "queer dirty uncle," damn! I will say though, like Gervais' dry british humor, this blog had me laughing...

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,957
    Whoever wrote that blog about Gervais is a dumb fuck.

As you rightly point out, Gervais wrote the office. The Brits had it first.... but they had to dumb it down for a US audience. True story.

7. Colin

Colin Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,657
    :lol: The blog was obviously written by a moron! The Office first aired on British Television in 2001. It was adapted for US television in 2005! If the writer can't get the most basic of facts correct, what hope for the rest of his written crap.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011