What do non-Americans find strange about the United States?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
Almost 40,000 people have commented on a thread on Reddit which asked non-Americans to talk about US customs they find strange, pointless or even outrageous.
The way prices are marked in US shops, large numbers of lawyers or obsessive tipping ... it appears the American way is not for everybody.
But for BBC Trending's Random American Guy, all of these things are just common sense.
BBC News - What do non-Americans find strange about the United States
Is it common sense for every American? Or is it actually a little bit strange?
american-flag-cat3.jpeg

The animosity and judgment about breastfeeding and the number of excuses (many with simple solutions) about not breastfeeding. The amount of infant formula used. The ingredients in processed foods that are banned in other countries because of health risks.

The company I work at has branches in China. One of the Chinese executives was visiting and he asked me how a political party, like the Republicans, could still be contenders after Iraq, what they did to the economy, the deficit they created and the jobs moved to China. He said his country appreciates all the help, but his country would never let so many jobs go without a fight.

I asked him if they had rice farmers in the country that didn't know what was going on a mile away from where they live.

He said of course. So I told him that we have the same thing. They are called the GOP base. They vote Republican because the GOP terrorizes them into thinking that without the Republican Party, hordes of foreign workers would come in and take over their jobs. He said it might be possible for something like that to happen in China. Only the foreigners would take over their land.

The animosity and judgment about breastfeeding and the number of excuses (many with simple solutions) about not breastfeeding. The amount of infant formula used. The ingredients in processed foods that are banned in other countries because of health risks.

In no way do I object to breastfeeding, especially if it's me getting fed.
Have you ever tasted breast milk? I wager that most married men with children have. It tastes awful.

Have you ever tasted breast milk? I wager that most married men with children have. It tastes awful.
Some people like it, some people don't. It's really sweet and the taste varies based on what the mother eats.

What my Romanian girlfriend finds strange about the US is that I have insurance on my cell phone, but I choose not to have health insurance.

Then I explained to her what health insurance costs in the US. And she found that even more strange.

I didn't find it awful.
I did find it interesting that her breasts would leak milk during sex 6 months + after she stopped breastfeeding.
That's not uncommon. The hormone oxytocin (love hormone) is released during sex and the same hormone is released while breastfeeding, causing the let-down reflex.

Oxytocin is another one of the important breastfeeding hormones. The production of oxytocin is also caused by an infant’s suckling, but instead of making milk, it is responsible for the milk ejection reflect, also known as the “let down.” The milk ejection reflex works as a reward for all of the baby’s hard work. It also causes uterine contractions, which is one reason why nursing is particularly helpful directly after child birth. The oxytocin produced helps the mother’s uterus contract and return to its prepregnancy size. Oxytocin is also a powerful antidepressant. Post-partum depression , also known as PPD, is a common condition caused by hormone fluctuations and other changes after childbirth. These hormones can be a powerful tool against PPD. Successful nursing that releases oxytocin has been shown to increase mood and satisfaction in mothers.
There are two main breastfeeding hormones released during nursing

Foreigners used to shake their heads and say "only in America" when they found out about our crappy for profit health insurance system. I'm sure Obamacare has changed this opinion somewhat.

Who cares what these people think? They're foreigners. They have no place being inside the US to begin with and we should not care what their opinions on anything are.

I guarantee you breast milk tastes ten times better than formula, even for the babies---especially for the babies.

The never-ending, ongoing and combative racial divide.
Some of us Americans also find that strange.
Why does the media give any credence whatsoever to the like of Al Sharpton other than to continue racial divide?
Al Sharpton only goes when families ask for his help. He doesn't go looking for a "cause". If you were the family of Trayvon Martin and you son disappeared, wouldn't you want to know where he went? Remember, the police left him in the morgue for three days without contacting his family, even though they had his ID and his phone. He was on the phone when he was shot. He didn't have any weapon. He told his friend that he was being stalked. And then to find out he had been chased down and shot dead. Without even an arrest? I would want help. Maybe your kids don't mean that much to you. I don't know. But if they did, wouldn't you look for help?

Forum List

Back