What Crafts Do You Do For The Holidays?

Discussion in 'Arts & Crafts' started by Cecilie1200, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    So here it is, the beginning of October and the opening of the holiday craft season. I went to Hancock's Fabrics and Jo-Ann's Crafts this weekend for their big Hallowe'en sales, and they were crazed. Women with baskets full of fabric bolts for everything from Hallowe'en to New Year's. I can't even imagine planning quite THAT far in advance.

This year, I'm making costumes for my 9-month-old son and my 20-month-old grandson, as well as myself. Thankfully, my 14-year-old has decided he wants to buy a costume, so I don't have that on my list. Quinn, the 9-month-old, is going to be a dragon, and Angel, my grandson, is going to be a mouse. I'll worry about Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's crafts after the costume rush is over.

What sorts of crafts do the rest of you do for the holidays?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    For Halloween, I used to carve a pumpkin into a Jack-o-lantern, but I haven't done one for a few years now.

3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I want to do a really fancy one. I've wanted to for several years, but I just never seem to have time to mess with it on top of everything else I need to do. My husband expressed an interest in spiced pumpkin seeds, though, so he might insist this time.

4. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    carving pumpkins is about all I do.
    Know any simple crafts for someone who has anxiety attacks if she sews. I know how to sew, I just mentally cannot handle it. :)

5. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Check your local craft store. There are tons of no-sew fabric projects on the market these days, because fewer and fewer women know how to sew now. The domestic arts in general seem to be dying out.

6. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    my mom taught me I think when I was about eight and I used to like it when I was younger but then during home ec I just had bad experience. :lol:
    I am not a very patient person. :)
    But thanks for the idea, I will have to check it out.

7. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    i agree the domestic arts are dying...i do a small fall display at mailbox...nothing fancy....hay bales and pumpkins, squash etc...i will let the kidlet next door carve one of the pumpkins for halloween...

i do some stainglass for winter solstice...i try to bring in a live tree but that has been the subject of much debate in the past few years with 3 cats and 2 dogs...so i normally do a wreath...which i will buy the basic wreath then decorate....

we also do a tree in the pasture....about half way up the hill...in lights....as many lights as we can get on it..that stays up till for a week.

and i make liquior concoctions....for presents...

8. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    you need to send me a present bones! :)

9. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    And there are always things like cooking this time of year. I've learned lots of shortcuts for doing a nice Thanksgiving dinner without making myself insane, and I always make fudge and rum cake and chocolate rum balls for Christmas presents.

10. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I will see what I can do about posting a picture of the three of us in our Hallowe'en costumes. Nicky's face won't show, anyway, because his costume has a mask. I'll turn Quinn so that his face doesn't show, since the important details of the dragon costume are the tail and spine fins, anyway. I don't mind if you guys see what I look like.