What constitutes a disability? How bad does it have to be to get government money?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?

The Disability from Social Security requires a board to evaluate the claims you made usually by reviewing your doctors statements and information you provide and yes they review it every couple years but only by querying your doctors and sending you a questionnaire. For VA disability they send you to an independent doctor of their choosing to be medically examined and every year or two after that you get reviewed sometimes by questions sometimes by a doctor.

SSI usually requires an appeal or two from lawyers to get as the standard response in the past was a flat no. VA uses a percent system and you can go up or down depending on their findings.

I get SSI and VA disability VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate because I am unemployable according to them. I no longer get reviewed by either but I have been on their lists since Nov 1999. I am sure they review my doctors reports though and yes I see a therapist every week and a shrink every 3 months.

The Disability from Social Security requires a board to evaluate the claims you made usually by reviewing your doctors statements and information you provide and yes they review it every couple years but only by querying your doctors and sending you a questionnaire. For VA disability they send you to an independent doctor of their choosing to be medically examined and every year or two after that you get reviewed sometimes by questions sometimes by a doctor.

SSI usually requires an appeal or two from lawyers to get as the standard response in the past was a flat no. VA uses a percent system and you can go up or down depending on their findings.

I get SSI and VA disability VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate because I am unemployable according to them. I no longer get reviewed by either but I have been on their lists since Nov 1999. I am sure they review my doctors reports though and yes I see a therapist every week and a shrink every 3 months.

I have the same ratings as you plus prostate cancer from Agent Orange and was told I wouldn't be reviewed anymore.

I have the same ratings as you plus prostate cancer from Agent Orange and was told I wouldn't be reviewed anymore.

They turned their back on you Hoss?

~S~

I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?

Really disabled to the point that you can't work.

It's a process. They deny it about 3 times. You have to have an attorney and appeal it. They aren't trying to let people in. Even so it then takes a couple of years for medicaid to kick in.

It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

The state I live in outsources their paperwork to either Colorado or Nevada. So, when they say respond in 10 days what they really mean is here is 24 hours to get that paperwork back.

It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

explains a lotta the homeless....

~S~

You are eligible if your disability precludes you from obtaining gainful employment.

~S~

Oh, yeah. It's so rigged.
Yeah, I didn't know that after my first surgery.

If I had, I would have lawyered up and fought the government. Instead, I believed their experts and rolled with it.

Mostly, because I come from a very conservative family that doesn't take handouts.

By the time my condition worsened and the whole government's "retraining" bullshit didn't work and the successive surgeries were necessary, I was no longer able to qualify for disability, because I hadn't been able to work gainfully for several years, and hence, hadn't been paying into the system.

. . . so, when I finally DID lawyer up, the only solution after more surgeries, and no gainful employment was SSI and a life in poverty. Eventually, within the next couple years, it looks like the continually deteriorating health conditions and financial situation could grow so bad, the street will be home.

7b75EIg.png

They turned their back on you Hoss?

~S~
No, my disability is permanent so I don't need any more reviews.

You are eligible if your disability precludes you from obtaining gainful employment.
Does that mean some official letter from a doctor stating that the person is too disabled to work?

I'm bi-polar, without my medication I have anger and anxiety issues which cost me employment. With my medication I fall asleep at work and get fired for that. Additionally I tend to slip up and have conversations with people they think is weird and they try to get me fired. Once I was fired for something I posted on Facebook about Muslims all wanting a world wide caliphate peaceful or not on my own time on my own computer.

I can't walk or stand for long because my foot has multiple fractures and I have neuropathy that allows me to break bones in my feet without feeling them break. When I do walk I run out of stamina and breath after about 100 meters, maybe less than that. I can't buy groceries or stand in line.

They won't give me disability because I can still do a desk job.

My sister has liver psoriasis no gallbladder and dribbles blood during her bi-weekly periods. She can't breath, has constant heart burn and uses a motorized wheel chair to buy groceries. She's been fighting for disability for 4 years. She hasn't had a job longer than that.

I'm bi-polar, without my medication I have anger and anxiety issues which cost me employment. With my medication I fall asleep at work and get fired for that. Additionally I tend to slip up and have conversations with people they think is weird and they try to get me fired. Once I was fired for something I posted on Facebook about Muslims all wanting a world wide caliphate peaceful or not on my own time on my own computer.

I can't walk or stand for long because my foot has multiple fractures and I have neuropathy that allows me to break bones in my feet without feeling them break. When I do walk I run out of stamina and breath after about 100 meters, maybe less than that. I can't buy groceries or stand in line.

They won't give me disability because I can still do a desk job.

My sister has liver psoriasis no gallbladder and dribbles blood during her bi-weekly periods. She can't breath, has constant heart burn and uses a motorized wheel chair to buy groceries. She's been fighting for disability for 4 years. She hasn't had a job longer than that.
Sorry to hear that. From your post and others it seems that Disability laws need to be looked at too since people that really need it can't get it, and fairly able people like those I know manage somehow to get it and keep it.

~S~

Oh, yeah. It's so rigged.
Yeah, I didn't know that after my first surgery.

If I had, I would have lawyered up and fought the government. Instead, I believed their experts and rolled with it.

Mostly, because I come from a very conservative family that doesn't take handouts.

By the time my condition worsened and the whole government's "retraining" bullshit didn't work and the successive surgeries were necessary, I was no longer able to qualify for disability, because I hadn't been able to work gainfully for several years, and hence, hadn't been paying into the system.

. . . so, when I finally DID lawyer up, the only solution after more surgeries, and no gainful employment was SSI and a life in poverty. Eventually, within the next couple years, it looks like the continually deteriorating health conditions and financial situation could grow so bad, the street will be home.

7b75EIg.png

I am sorry to hear that. I know for those that I had tried to help they didn't qualify for social security because they had been incapable of holding a job. So, it was for SSI and it doesn't take very long for an employer to figure out that a person is delusional. Another one was so physically disabled that one would think they would have had it from day one. It is a lengthy battle.

Forum List

Back