What constitutes a disability? How bad does it have to be to get government money?

I'm bi-polar, without my medication I have anger and anxiety issues which cost me employment. With my medication I fall asleep at work and get fired for that. Additionally I tend to slip up and have conversations with people they think is weird and they try to get me fired. Once I was fired for something I posted on Facebook about Muslims all wanting a world wide caliphate peaceful or not on my own time on my own computer.

I can't walk or stand for long because my foot has multiple fractures and I have neuropathy that allows me to break bones in my feet without feeling them break. When I do walk I run out of stamina and breath after about 100 meters, maybe less than that. I can't buy groceries or stand in line.

They won't give me disability because I can still do a desk job.

My sister has liver psoriasis no gallbladder and dribbles blood during her bi-weekly periods. She can't breath, has constant heart burn and uses a motorized wheel chair to buy groceries. She's been fighting for disability for 4 years. She hasn't had a job longer than that.
Sorry to hear that. From your post and others it seems that Disability laws need to be looked at too since people that really need it can't get it, and fairly able people like those I know manage somehow to get it and keep it.

This is the the way it is from the last time someone decided to look at the disability laws. These folk know that most people are going to look at the letter of denial and accept it. When you are looking at someone with severe mental health issues, brain damage or cognitive delays they know that they aren't going to be able to follow through with paperwork, doctor's appointments etc. and so on. I used to have it set up so that no matter what I had to do as soon as one individual got paperwork in the mail that I would take a two hour drive to fill out the paperwork because the person could not write and then fax it that night so that these clowns got the paperwork before the time limit.

Now everyone is real skippy on a work requirement for SNAP but there is an entire group of individuals that can't hold down jobs and are denied SSI. People need to pay attention to where they are going. These are things that really needed to be worked on and it's unfortunate that we can't do that with the current government.

Last edited:

Grand amount of detail , i can see how one could easily manuver through litigation with these parameters...

. I used to have it set up so that no matter what I had to do as soon as one individual got paperwork in the mail that I would take a two hour drive to fill out the paperwork because the person could not write and then fax it that night so that these clowns got the paperwork before the time limit.

We were told to be careful what we wrote up for field reports , because they're always addressed when some legal confrontation occurs.

These are things that really needed to be worked on and it's unfortunate that we can't do that with the current government.

More our overall system where anything medically related enters the litigant vortex......~S~

I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?

Scoring disability benes is the modern replacement for the American Dream.

I know three people personally who get disability payments from the government even though they all get around just fine. Sure they have had injuries, one had fusion surgery on his back. But so did Tiger Woods and he doesn't look that disabled to me. Does anyone know how "disabled" you have to be to get disability? And is there any checkup to see if you have gotten better and don't need the payments anymore? Does anyone have insight on this?
I think with the right doctor to say what you need them to it is not very hard to recieve it. This can also be the case with any pill you want. Likely the laws are written in a correct way but we all know there are ways to skirt this just as every thing else. The pilll issue likely costs us more than the diasability issue. We live in an imperfect world where people will lie to get what they want.

This is as ignorant as it is wrong and stupid.

The Disability from Social Security requires a board to evaluate the claims you made usually by reviewing your doctors statements and information you provide and yes they review it every couple years but only by querying your doctors and sending you a questionnaire. For VA disability they send you to an independent doctor of their choosing to be medically examined and every year or two after that you get reviewed sometimes by questions sometimes by a doctor.

SSI usually requires an appeal or two from lawyers to get as the standard response in the past was a flat no. VA uses a percent system and you can go up or down depending on their findings.

I get SSI and VA disability VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate because I am unemployable according to them. I no longer get reviewed by either but I have been on their lists since Nov 1999. I am sure they review my doctors reports though and yes I see a therapist every week and a shrink every 3 months.

I have the same ratings as you plus prostate cancer from Agent Orange and was told I wouldn't be reviewed anymore.
That’s sad Hoss. They would rather give it to someone who is in better shape.

You have to be so disabled you are unable to work.
Not being able to *get around* really isn't the standard.
There are lots of people who are disabled, but who work when they can. In those cases, social security will prorate or suspend their disability during the time they are working, and then re-start it again when they stop. Some people have illnesses or conditions that wax and wan....

I know of several people in their 20s and early 30s who get disability. Hell they act and look normal. The system is fucked up for real.

Really disabled to the point that you can't work.

It's a process. They deny it about 3 times. You have to have an attorney and appeal it. They aren't trying to let people in. Even so it then takes a couple of years for medicaid to kick in.

It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

The state I live in outsources their paperwork to either Colorado or Nevada. So, when they say respond in 10 days what they really mean is here is 24 hours to get that paperwork back.

So for the mentally ill there are programs and disability analysts who work for the STATE who can help them navigate the disability process, and help them get benefits until such time as they actually are able to receive their disability. In Oregon, it's called the "General Assistance" program. Foodstamp, child welfare, or other human services providers will refer people to the program who appear to be disabled but aren't able to get through the disability application process, and are in danger or (or actually are) homeless. They set up an appointment with a state disability analyst, and then they determine the likelihood of the client being eligible for ssi/ssd.

They then help them get their documents together and write reports and facilitate engagement with the social security administration...and they can also provide some funding for housing and stuff like that.

Now with the mentally ill it can be really difficult because a lot of them are also drug/alcohol addicted, and/or have extensive criminal rapsheets that make it really difficult to get them into housing...but there are options for that, too.

But if the disability analyst thinks the disability either is caused by drug addiction or if they think that social security will see it that way, those people are just shit out of luck.

I have referred a lot of people...I see a lot of people who were raised by the state (foster care) and should have been getting ssi from CHILDHOOD, who hit 18 and child welfare says "smell ya later". They end up confused, abused, and on the street, with absolutely no clue how to care for themselves or figure out what to do.

When I get these poor pathetic souls, I immediately contact the GA program. One guy I referred received a massive settlement for SSI that he should have received as a child, and then another one for the ssi he should have received as an adult up to the time he was finally determined disabled. He had extensive child welfare involvement all his life..yet it never occurred to any of them to get him ssi. When he turned 18 they just cut him loose, and he spent the next few years living in the bushes of his hometown, being abused by the local transient population.

I know of several people in their 20s and early 30s who get disability. Hell they act and look normal. The system is fucked up for real.
Just an fyi..sometimes the ones who look the most normal are the sickest. I know a young, young person...looks healthy and strong...but has terrible rheumatoid arthritis. He isn't always sick, but when he is, he literally can't move. He's waiting for double hip replacement.

Intolorantl,
I might add totally uniformed about life. Many disabilities do not show up by just looking at someone and this is what most righties do. SS is the hardest disabity program to get on. . If you look at me you would say why should he be disabled he looks healthy to me. Well the facts are that I have copd and their is a book that has the numbers if you qualify. These numbers come for breathing test in a machine. So when I went out on disability I knew it would probably take about six months to be approved and it was almost exactly 6 months before I got approved the first time I applied because I met the requirement of the law.
I might also add that I drove city bus for 25 years and hauled a lot of those people the right wants to label as horribles have damn good reasons to be on disability. They do not have the capability of holding down a job. Many if not most have serious mental issues. Also most of those only receive a little less than 700 a month. Try living on that.

The Disability from Social Security requires a board to evaluate the claims you made usually by reviewing your doctors statements and information you provide and yes they review it every couple years but only by querying your doctors and sending you a questionnaire. For VA disability they send you to an independent doctor of their choosing to be medically examined and every year or two after that you get reviewed sometimes by questions sometimes by a doctor.

SSI usually requires an appeal or two from lawyers to get as the standard response in the past was a flat no. VA uses a percent system and you can go up or down depending on their findings.

I get SSI and VA disability VA rates me at 70 percent but pays me at the 100 percent rate because I am unemployable according to them. I no longer get reviewed by either but I have been on their lists since Nov 1999. I am sure they review my doctors reports though and yes I see a therapist every week and a shrink every 3 months.

I have the same ratings as you plus prostate cancer from Agent Orange and was told I wouldn't be reviewed anymore.
That’s sad Hoss. They would rather give it to someone who is in better shape.

But I do get disability and since it is permanent I am not to be reviewed again in my lifetime, thanks to DOW Chemical. In fact, I was never reviewed. When I had my prostate removed, VA called me in and told me I would be 100% for life. The only setback is I can't make babies anymore and I'm only 79. I still try though.

Trump cult members?

This is as ignorant as it is wrong and stupid.

I agree!

It sucks to holy hell if the person in question is schizophrenic or is mentally disabled because they don't understand the process or refuse to admit they need help. They can't manage the paperwork.

explains a lotta the homeless....

~S~

Oh, yeah. It's so rigged.
Yeah, I didn't know that after my first surgery.

If I had, I would have lawyered up and fought the government. Instead, I believed their experts and rolled with it.

Mostly, because I come from a very conservative family that doesn't take handouts.

By the time my condition worsened and the whole government's "retraining" bullshit didn't work and the successive surgeries were necessary, I was no longer able to qualify for disability, because I hadn't been able to work gainfully for several years, and hence, hadn't been paying into the system.

. . . so, when I finally DID lawyer up, the only solution after more surgeries, and no gainful employment was SSI and a life in poverty. Eventually, within the next couple years, it looks like the continually deteriorating health conditions and financial situation could grow so bad, the street will be home.

7b75EIg.png

I am sorry to hear that. I know for those that I had tried to help they didn't qualify for social security because they had been incapable of holding a job. So, it was for SSI and it doesn't take very long for an employer to figure out that a person is delusional. Another one was so physically disabled that one would think they would have had it from day one. It is a lengthy battle.

The ADA is a fucking joke.

It's legislative virtue signaling the most lawyers won't go near.

If an employer wants to hire someone b/c they are disabled, they will because the disability is visible and makes the employer look good, it has nothing to do with the ADA. It will never cut into production or the bottom line.

Trump cult members?
Two Liberals, one Conservative. This may be shocking to you but this is not a political party issue.

It's a process. They deny it about 3 times. You have to have an attorney and appeal it. They aren't trying to let people in. Even so it then takes a couple of years for medicaid to kick in.

The state I live in outsources their paperwork to either Colorado or Nevada. So, when they say respond in 10 days what they really mean is here is 24 hours to get that paperwork back.

So for the mentally ill there are programs and disability analysts who work for the STATE who can help them navigate the disability process, and help them get benefits until such time as they actually are able to receive their disability. In Oregon, it's called the "General Assistance" program. Foodstamp, child welfare, or other human services providers will refer people to the program who appear to be disabled but aren't able to get through the disability application process, and are in danger or (or actually are) homeless. They set up an appointment with a state disability analyst, and then they determine the likelihood of the client being eligible for ssi/ssd.

They then help them get their documents together and write reports and facilitate engagement with the social security administration...and they can also provide some funding for housing and stuff like that.

Now with the mentally ill it can be really difficult because a lot of them are also drug/alcohol addicted, and/or have extensive criminal rapsheets that make it really difficult to get them into housing...but there are options for that, too.

But if the disability analyst thinks the disability either is caused by drug addiction or if they think that social security will see it that way, those people are just shit out of luck.

I have referred a lot of people...I see a lot of people who were raised by the state (foster care) and should have been getting ssi from CHILDHOOD, who hit 18 and child welfare says "smell ya later". They end up confused, abused, and on the street, with absolutely no clue how to care for themselves or figure out what to do.

When I get these poor pathetic souls, I immediately contact the GA program. One guy I referred received a massive settlement for SSI that he should have received as a child, and then another one for the ssi he should have received as an adult up to the time he was finally determined disabled. He had extensive child welfare involvement all his life..yet it never occurred to any of them to get him ssi. When he turned 18 they just cut him loose, and he spent the next few years living in the bushes of his hometown, being abused by the local transient population.

So, in our state you go to the SSA office and apply for SSI and it is routed to the State program. The State outsourced the paperwork to Nevada or Utah but there was just no way to get it back within the 10 days from when it was sent. The State program has 7,000 on it's waiting list. Oh, yeah. They aren't trying to get people in---they are screening them out.

I know nothing about Oregon. I have a vision of everyone running around in flannel shirts, singing grunge music with large cups of coffee or beer. So,
State of Oregon: Independent Living Program - Eligibility and Services

There are services.

Even so, Oregon looks like a hot mess. What the hell are they doing up there?

So, in our state you go to the SSA office and apply for SSI and it is routed to the State program. The State outsourced the paperwork to Nevada or Utah but there was just no way to get it back within the 10 days from when it was sent. The State program has 7,000 on it's waiting list. Oh, yeah. They aren't trying to get people in---they are screening them out.

I know nothing about Oregon. I have a vision of everyone running around in flannel shirts, singing grunge music with large cups of coffee or beer. So,

There are services.

Practicing Socialism.

There are services.

Practicing Socialism.

Then maybe it's a lot like doctors. No one wants to deal with a doctor's practice. We all want a doctor's perfect.

Really though, I don't think socialism is the issue there.

There are services.

You apply for social security through social security. But for those people who are homeless or in danger of homelessness the state provides disability analysts who will sort of act as a liaison and help them navigate the system to obtain their disability.

Many people who are disabled are incapable of figuring out how to apply, they can't get their stuff together, they aren't good about making or keeping appointments. Social security doesn't give a shit about those people..if they can't do it, they don't get any assistance from the SSA.

Oregon has a really diverse population. The grungy mentally ill twits are located in Eugene and Portland. Eastern Oregon is conservative. The communities are agricultural the terrain consists of deserts, mountains. Western is primarily liberal, quite green and wet.

Our culture on the west side used to be vibrant logging and fishing communities. Leftists destroyed it.

Forum List

Back