What can whites do to heal race relations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For starters, let's stop acting apologetic.

I am over that shit.

I am a middle aged white man living in a predominantly white region. I used to think I was not racist at all, but in light of recent black-white tensions in the US, I have taken a close look at myself. While I do not disparage black people, I have been in groups where racist things were said and not spoken out and denounced them. I have also been slow to admit the white priviledge that I have been able to take advantage of my whole life. I now acknowledge that institutional racism exists in this country. I guess I would say I am a recovering racist. I think that most white people fear loss of priviledge and harsh retaliation if blacks gain too much power in our society. Certainly white priviledge would be lost in a society ruled by blacks and other minorities, but that is the goal, a society that does not unfairly advantage whites. I would be more than willing to serve a more subordinate role in society if it meant being able to live in peace and I believe a society with more people of color in authority would be a better society. To hasten this inevitable paradigm shift, I would like to hear from black people what I can do on a daily basis.
The main thing is to acknowledge your automatic head start without feeling guilty about it even if its just to yourself. You hit the nail on the head when you said whites fear retaliation. One of your founding fathers said the same thing. Jefferson feared retaliation as well. Albert Einstein said racism was a disease of white people. My view point is that if whites didnt have an inferiority complex they would have never legislated themselves white only affirmative action for over 400 years then get upset when Blacks have partial affirmative action. If they discover and deal with the reasons for their inferiority complex they will be able to stop racism.
I am a middle aged white man living in a predominantly white region. I used to think I was not racist at all, but in light of recent black-white tensions in the US, I have taken a close look at myself. While I do not disparage black people, I have been in groups where racist things were said and not spoken out and denounced them. I have also been slow to admit the white priviledge that I have been able to take advantage of my whole life. I now acknowledge that institutional racism exists in this country. I guess I would say I am a recovering racist. I think that most white people fear loss of priviledge and harsh retaliation if blacks gain too much power in our society. Certainly white priviledge would be lost in a society ruled by blacks and other minorities, but that is the goal, a society that does not unfairly advantage whites. I would be more than willing to serve a more subordinate role in society if it meant being able to live in peace and I believe a society with more people of color in authority would be a better society. To hasten this inevitable paradigm shift, I would like to hear from black people what I can do on a daily basis.
The main thing is to acknowledge your automatic head start without feeling guilty about it even if its just to yourself. You hit the nail on the head when you said whites fear retaliation. One of your founding fathers said the same thing. Jefferson feared retaliation as well. Albert Einstein said racism was a disease of white people. My view point is that if whites didnt have an inferiority complex they would have never legislated themselves white only affirmative action for over 400 years then get upset when Blacks have partial affirmative action. If they discover and deal with the reasons for their inferiority complex they will be able to stop racism.
I do acknowledge my head start and perhaps I do have a bit of an inferiority complex but I have nothing against blacks. I just want to know, from a black person's perspective, what concrete actions I should take to improve conditions for blacks and other minorities.
This is the kibna of shit that makes me embarrassed to be half white. Those skinny jeans have got ur nuts so bunched uv forgotten u even have a pair.

Recognize white privilege.

I was pulled over today in one of the projects where we work. The officer first looked at me like I was crazy for being out there, then asked me why I was there, and then told me I ran a stop sign and not to do it again, and let me go.

Tell me that a black person living in that project would have had the same experience.
It would depend on a number of factors, beginning with attitude.

What you've failed to acknowledge, and possibly are not aware of, is that the cop who stopped you had a lot of information about you before he stepped out of his car. So if you are the registered owner of that car you presumably have a clean license and personal background.

I was pulled over today in one of the projects where we work. The officer first looked at me like I was crazy for being out there, then asked me why I was there, and then told me I ran a stop sign and not to do it again, and let me go.

Tell me that a black person living in that project would have had the same experience.
I work with a guy from Uniondale.
There's an unreported shooting in a night club at least once a week.
Tell me that happens in White neighborhoods.
Yes it does. All the time.
How do you know that?

The best thing you can do is condemn racists in your own community and/or social circles, one of the worst things about racism today is that racists will generally keep it to themselves and other whites, meaning black people wont know they are saying and doing racist things behind their back.

[...]
First, what is your definition (not your dictionary's definition) of the word, "racism?"

Next, do you believe most Blacks harbor racist feelings, too -- some more malicious and loathsome than most White racists have cause to feel?

Also, there is no reason to treat black people better simply because they are black thats another form of racism. But you can donate to, or volunteer at your local african/ african american charity, or better yet (if your christian) a church. I'm sure your questions and fears can be better addressed there rather than on a message board teeming with obvious white supremacists[/QUOTE]

I work with a guy from Uniondale.
There's an unreported shooting in a night club at least once a week.
Tell me that happens in White neighborhoods.
Yes it does. All the time.
How do you know that?
News

I found this online.

waking-up-white.-3.jpg

You have to be high. Are you going to "heal" flocks of birds from only flying in groups of their own kind? Are you going to "heal" fish from swimming in schools of their own kind? Our multiethnic society IS the problem. Being more multiethnic isn't the solution. I hope this has healed your damaged thinking processes.

Buy plane tickets for the oppressed to move to greener pastures?
One way only.

Sand negros from the desert middle east did that. That's why we have so many of them in Michigan. Any, "greener pastures" a White person would buy a plane ticket for the oppressed to move to would probably take them to where the White person lives.

You can't fight racism with racism. Blacks will have problems for as long as they see through racial filters.
What are "racial filters?"

You act up more because you think whitey took your shit and you become suspect because you act up more.
"You act up because you think Whitey took your shit?" You think? Are you citing paranoid delusion?

I'll treat anyone with respect, but act like a racist bully and you get none.
Describe an example of racist bullying.

Youre a one off and pretending your experience is the same as all whites. Thats not realistic or factual.

The big question about why police pull over so many black drivers
(Excerpt)

A 2006 study of police searches in Florida found no evidence of prejudice, but evidence of statistical discrimination. More recent figures from 2014 and 2015 published by the New York Times show blacks who are searched are around 20 percent less likely to be carrying contraband than whites who are searched. While that certainly raises the odds that prejudice is playing a role, it can't be said for certain without a more careful study.

(Close)

The above excerpt from the article you cited reveals a reduction in the statistical average of Blacks in 2006 who are found to be carrying contraband (drugs and/or guns) compared with the average in 2015. This is because so many Blacks were stopped back then the word got around and many have simply realized it's best to be clean while driving.

But I'm recalling that back in the mid-1980s, when Reagan's escalated drug war was heating up and police agencies nationwide became generously subsidized for anti-drug activity the statistical average of Blacks who might be carrying drugs was substantially higher than that of the White average. This, not racism, was the reason for profiling of Blacks.

Instead of citing 2006 as a period of greater attention to Black drivers the article should have gone back to (approximately) 1986 when the statistical average of Blacks carrying drugs was much greater. (They hadn't wised up yet.) In fact, I believe that was the year when the Supreme Court took it upon itself to alter the Fourth Amendment by replacing the Probable Cause requirement with Reasonable Suspicion, thereby making it easier to justify searching someone's car and person.

So while there might be a relatively small number of White cops who stop Black drivers because of racial hostility the vast majority of such profiling is just one more evil effect of the War On Drugs. If you will watch the TV ride-along series, COPS, you will see that anti-drug activity occupies at least 80% of American police officers' time.

Last edited:
As a race its pretty apparent that whites hate non whites and especially Blacks. How much more proof do you need dude?
Apparent to whom?

Considering that hatred is the emperor of human emotion, much more powerful than love, you flatter yourself by suggesting I, or most other Whites, might expend such passion on anyone, Black or White, without having profoundly tormenting cause.

What has afforded you the egotistical notion that I hate you or any other Black person with whom I have no more than the most casual and insignificant acquaintance? Please be assured that nothing short of some serious, painful and prolonged affront would cause me to hate you or anyone else.

Not really all that amazing. I've worked with, lived with, and talked with whites every since i was 18.
And if those Whites, or most of them, seemed hostile toward you, could it be there is something about you that tends to inspire such dislike? I've known a few Blacks like that. Obnoxious, innately hostile characters who assign blame for all their shortcomings on Whitey.

Seriously there's nothing you can do. It is hopeless to try and anyway a paradigm change is occurring now. It will be harder for racial bridges to exist as the pendulum has swung all the way to one side. The race baiting for votes democrat party has self destructed and a republican has taken the presidency . He has gotten more black votes than expected because Obama failed to execute an economic improvement. As the economy slips off the fed support into a depression I would expect urban tensions to be much worse. The cities mainly democrat administration's are not going to get much help from the federal government. I think asking blacks to be less hostile to whites is a joke. It will never happen

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back