What Are Your Religious Beliefs?

Note the poster didn't say "practice religion"; he said "go to church". YUUUGE difference.

We also know there is a huge difference between going to school and learning. Do you recommend students not go to school? If a student does go to school, but does not learn, who is at fault? The school? The teacher? Or, the student who chose not to learn?

So, no, there is not a huge difference. If people go to church and get nothing out of it, perhaps it is because they bring nothing with them, and they take nothing away. As we know, a body of water that brings nothing in and where nothing flows out becomes stagnant.

Uh, yes there is a YUUGE difference. Religion doesn't come from a church any more than education comes from a school. Those are institutions constructed to assembly-line a mental process. As such their results are basically superficial.

I learned stuff in school, much of which is forgotten and useless. I learned much more out of school none of which is useless. And the same goes for religion. An institution can be a resource, but ultimately the quest is personal.

As another post put it:
Mark Twain once said, "Don't let school get in the way of your education." In the same way, "Don't let Church get in the way of your coming to know God."

Go with that.

Q: Where did I get that quote?
A: I read it in a book.
Q: Where did I learn to read?
A: I learned in school.
Q: Was that quote in a book I read at school?
A: No.

The same is true with photography. I learned the basics of good photography at school. It didn't stop there. Same with church this morning. The lesson for the coming week was presented there. It's up to me whether it stops there or continues on.

So my question remains: If people are okay with throwing out Church, are they equally okay with throwing out school? Or, are both good beginnings?

They're both irrelevant to the quest. Again, either may be a good resource for that quest, or it may be a waste of time. And when it's involuntary it certainly leans to the latter.

You seem to want it both ways; the institution is essential/the institution is irrelevant. Pick one.

"My religion is kindness." That's what the Dalai Lama says. Does your religion bring out your best,; kindness, clarity, compassion? Or does it bring out your worst; intolerance, anger, judging, close mindedness?

They're both irrelevant to the quest. Again, either may be a good resource for that quest, or it may be a waste of time. And when it's involuntary it certainly leans to the latter.

You seem to want it both ways; the institution is essential/the institution is irrelevant. Pick one.

It's not a matter of wanting it one way or the other. The simple reality is both. We are born knowing nothing, but with the capacity to learn. Teresa of Avila (sixteenth century) wrote of the Interior Castle, divided into seven levels. Church alone, she thought, can only get most to the second level. There on out requires our effort. Church-goer or not, we all understand there is something more--and have the desire to attain it.

..... I'm looking to go in the Bull Ring with someone regarding Christianity and their Religious beliefs.

So tell me, which of the following do you believe (and, if it's not listed, please specify)

1. Atheist
2. Agnostic
3. Believes in a Supreme Being, but not the God of the Bible
4. Believes in something, not necessarily a person, but a force
5. Believes there is no one thing or person that rules, but, more of a cosmic chain of events.

Again, there are many options, but, I'd like to hear what you believe, even if you aren't sure or don't care.

Thanks,

I'm a Baptist....believe in God and His Son Jesus. I don't understand how so many Christians have gotten the basic Christian beliefs all twisted up and invented some new rules of their own. I don't believe this world came about by "chance" and I respect those that don't believe in God....that is their choice.

You would not be a good "Bull Ring" opponent for me because I basically believe the same thing. (Baptist also, but, raised Lutheran). I do understand why people believe differently, I just wish people could or were able to be more open minded to all possibilities. Seems that many people cling to their beliefs and only research additional proof to substantiate their beliefs, rather than looking at all possibilities......

I agree that many people cling to their beliefs and only research additional proof to substantiate their beliefs....that is why there are so many Christians that have weird beliefs about certain things that they can only back up by their "own" interpretation of the Bible. They make up crap (that is not true) and pass it along as fact. I received an e-mail from a Christian friend claiming that "prayer" had been banned from public schools with a video showing some teenagers holding up signs that repeated that notion. I explained to her that it was not true and why it was wrong in so many levels to push that thought. She didn't respond, but I'm sure that didn't keep her from sending it to others! I know where this stems from.....and wonder why some have to use religion to further their political agenda and fool those that are not as politically minded into believing such crap.
Are you talking about yourself again?

:dunno:

Are you having trouble comprehending what I said? Do you need a picture?

Note the poster didn't say "practice religion"; he said "go to church". YUUUGE difference.

We also know there is a huge difference between going to school and learning. Do you recommend students not go to school? If a student does go to school, but does not learn, who is at fault? The school? The teacher? Or, the student who chose not to learn?

So, no, there is not a huge difference. If people go to church and get nothing out of it, perhaps it is because they bring nothing with them, and they take nothing away. As we know, a body of water that brings nothing in and where nothing flows out becomes stagnant.

Uh, yes there is a YUUGE difference. Religion doesn't come from a church any more than education comes from a school. Those are institutions constructed to assembly-line a mental process. As such their results are basically superficial.

I learned stuff in school, much of which is forgotten and useless. I learned much more out of school none of which is useless. And the same goes for religion. An institution can be a resource, but ultimately the quest is personal.

As another post put it:
Mark Twain once said, "Don't let school get in the way of your education." In the same way, "Don't let Church get in the way of your coming to know God."

Go with that.

Q: Where did I get that quote?
A: I read it in a book.
Q: Where did I learn to read?
A: I learned in school.
Q: Was that quote in a book I read at school?
A: No.

The same is true with photography. I learned the basics of good photography at school. It didn't stop there. Same with church this morning. The lesson for the coming week was presented there. It's up to me whether it stops there or continues on.

So my question remains: If people are okay with throwing out Church, are they equally okay with throwing out school? Or, are both good beginnings?

Because some "religious" people have turned religion into what it is not supposed to be, many are repulsed by it and many have been turned away from it. Religion is not the thing to be worshipped but rather more like an instruction book, or map, so to speak, that is supposed to get you to where you need to be with God. Christianity has many different "faiths" - such as Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, etc., and they differ in the the way they teach worship of God, but the gist of that faith is all the same.....Jesus, is the Son of God and the Bible is the Word of God, meant to teach us about God and Jesus.

Without the "church" - people would not have a way of learning about God and Jesus. The same with school.....yes, you could learn a lot without school, but probably not as much and school makes it so much easier and faster, too. I don't agree that we don't need schools, and I don't agree that we don't need the Church....but you have to be careful what the church is teaching and check it out to make sure it doesn't contradict the Word of God, because we have far too many churches that have turned into political machines....pushing their agenda by preaching false information.

I believe that there is a God, but not necessarily the one from the Bible. I believe that the same God is the origin of all the religions in the world. You simply have to choose one to follow.

I believe that there is a God, but not necessarily the one from the Bible. I believe that the same God is the origin of all the religions in the world. You simply have to choose one to follow.
Is Buddha a God to you? Or a "God" at all?

Because some "religious" people have turned religion into what it is not supposed to be, many are repulsed by it and many have been turned away from it. Religion is not the thing to be worshipped but rather more like an instruction book, or map, so to speak, that is supposed to get you to where you need to be with God. Christianity has many different "faiths" - such as Methodist, Baptist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, etc., and they differ in the the way they teach worship of God, but the gist of that faith is all the same.....Jesus, is the Son of God and the Bible is the Word of God, meant to teach us about God and Jesus.

Yes. However, I tend phrase it, "Christianity has one faith, but many denominations." I am huge on personal responsibility. I understand people say they are repulsed because of what some religious people have done--or what people have done in the name of religion. I get it, and they should not be given a pass. However, people who duck out of religion claiming it was something Father, Reverend, Rabbi, or Mullah did, need to take a good hard look at themselves. Are they the type of person who upon learning that a house fire was started by a lit candle would also determine to never again light a candle themselves? To deny oneself a lit candle or a fire in a fire place because it started a house fire is a bit extreme.

Without the "church" - people would not have a way of learning about God and Jesus. The same with school.....yes, you could learn a lot without school, but probably not as much and school makes it so much easier and faster, too. I don't agree that we don't need schools, and I don't agree that we don't need the Church....but you have to be careful what the church is teaching and check it out to make sure it doesn't contradict the Word of God, because we have far too many churches that have turned into political machines....pushing their agenda by preaching false information.

Not only is church a place of learning, it is a place of renewal. I'm not sure what some expect of church, so I don't know what they feel they should be receiving, but are not.

I pretty much agree. There is one God, and what we have are many unique views and descriptions of God. It is easy to believe the Biblical view of God IF we first understand the (then) world view of the people who wrote it. Today, particularly in the Old Testament, some great lessons and tremendous insights are lost because some want to show God to be quite unworthy of their time and worship.

When you realize that what you been taught to believe about Jesus is a perversion based on Roman ignorance about Jewish thought, belief, and figurative literary expressions that conjures from the depths of hell a false image of an imaginary Jesus in the form of a substitute, counterfeit, sugar coated, supernatural, edible, triune, mangod that does not correspond to the teachings or life of any real living being ever in existence.

Only when you stop believing in and perpetuating a false image of Jesus with a false message of a false salvation will the clouds that have obscured the truth from your sight be removed so you can begin to see Christ face to face, as he actually was and is.

What I believe about Jesus comes from the Gospels and Letters in the New Testament. Which books do you believe are based on Roman ignorance?

What you believe about Jesus is regurgitated Church dogma that is based on Roman ignorance about the figurative nature of the fantastical stories that were intentionally written by Jews to preserve teaching from God openly in a way that would go over the heads of their superstitious Roman enemy who had just destroyed Jerusalem, the Temple and their way of life while slaughtering and sending into exile and slavery hundreds of thousands of Jews...

What you believe about Jesus is superstitious archaic lore based on the most ignorant superficial literal interpretation of the gospels possible.

There is no such thing as a god made man made matzo made by human hands that one must worship and eat for spiritual life. The entire Bible clearly condemns such a vile and degrading practice that is an open rebellion against the divine commands and desecration of the teachings of Jesus, the actual Body of Christ.

That may not be what you believe, and you are entitled to that unbelief, but damn....

Last edited:
What you believe about Jesus is regurgitated Church dogma that is based on Roman ignorance about the figurative nature of the fantastical stories that were intentionally written by Jews to preserve teaching from God openly in a way that would go over the heads of their superstitious Roman enemy who had just destroyed Jerusalem, the Temple and their way of life while slaughtering and sending into exile and slavery hundreds of thousands of Jews...

What you believe about Jesus is superstitious archaic lore based on the most ignorant superficial literal interpretation of the gospels possible.

There is no such thing as a god made man made matzo made by human hands that one must worship and eat for spiritual life. The entire Bible clearly condemns such a vile and degrading practice that is an open rebellion against the divine commands and desecration of the teachings of Jesus, the actual Body of Christ.

That may not be what you believe, and you are entitled to that unbelief, but damn....

Respectfully, you did not answer my question. I asked: Which New Testament books are Roman superstition, propaganda, and ignorance?

The rest of your post, unfortunately, is speculation based on propaganda. It is so far from my experiences, studies, and why I believe as I do, that there is no common ground, at present, for us to stand.

Respectfully, you did not answer my question. I asked: Which New Testament books are Roman superstition, propaganda, and ignorance?

The rest of your post, unfortunately, is speculation based on propaganda. It is so far from my experiences, studies, and why I believe as I do, that there is no common ground, at present, for us to stand.

I never answered your question because I never said that the gospels themselves were based on Roman misinterpretations.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Your beliefs, Church dogma, are based on Roman misinterpretations of the Gospels.

Your entire belief system about a god made man made matzo made by human hands is a perversion of the stories in the gospels that were deliberately written in figurative language to obscure the truth and conceal the teachings of Jesus from Rome in a coded language that the superstitious and irrational could never grasp...

After he said this and as they were watching, he was lifted up and a cloud removed him from their sight. Acts 1:9

You may never have realized this but to Jesus, his disciples, his followers, and the authors of the Gospels, 'the nations' were the enemy.

"From his mouth there went a sharp sword with which to smite the nations." Revelation 19:15

Would you like specifics examples about what is written, what the church claims it means, what was hidden, and how Church dogma is a perversion of the actual truth?

The kingdom of Heaven is like hidden treasure lying buried in a field. The man who found it buried it again. Matthew 13:44

Last edited:
I never answered your question because I never said that the gospels themselves were based on Roman misinterpretations.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

Your beliefs, Church dogma, are based on Roman misinterpretations of the Gospels.

Your entire belief system about a god made man made matzo made by human hands is a perversion of the stories in the gospels that were deliberately written in figurative language to obscure the truth and conceal the teachings of Jesus from Rome in a coded language that the superstitious and irrational could never grasp...

You may never have realized this but to Jesus, his disciples, his followers, and the authors of the Gospels, 'the nations' were the enemy.

"From his mouth there went a sharp sword with which to smite the nations." Revelation 19:15

Would you like specifics examples about what is written, what the church claims it means, what was hidden, and how Church dogma is a perversion of the actual truth?

I've done very thorough studies of my own. The Catholic Church was founded on, and has always followed, Apostolic teachings. This is easily traced. What is also easily traced is when and who veered off from Apostolic teachings. For the first few hundred years of Christianity, there was no doubt what Christians believed. In the early days of Church, when Rome was persecuting these people, they called them cannibals because of what they taught and what they believed. This is documented.

Yes, the Catholic faith believes in, teaches, and trusts in the mysteries that are in providence of God. We don't try to explain them away. We leave God's mysteries to God, and we keep faith in all his words and in the teachings of the Apostles.

In the early days of Church, when Rome was persecuting these people, they called them cannibals because of what they taught and what they believed. This is documented.

Precisely.

They were called cannibals because the Roman authorities failed to comprehend that the command of Jesus to 'eat my flesh' has literally nothing whatever to do with eating anything just like the many disciples who left Jesus after he said, unless you eat my flesh you can have no life in you, because they too took it literally and failed to comprehend the hidden meaning of the metaphorical analogy that he later explained to the remaining disciples in John 6:63. that his words, teaching from God about the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects of divine law, are what you must eat.

No matter how many eucharists there are in the world and however many devoted believers eat it daily they are not obeying the command of Jesus to eat his flesh.

You have been diverted by superstitious archaic lore and placed under a delusion to believe a lie.

Last edited:
Rome's belief on Christ before Jesus wasn't born. So I understand old Rome before England and U.S.A. come to the world's land.

American's are both Italian and Englishmen from begin's.

Rome's belief on Christ before Jesus wasn't born. So I understand old Rome before England and U.S.A. come to the world's land.

American's are both Italian and Englishmen from begin's.

You really should fill up your life.

Get a job, get two jobs, find a partner, make friends, get a hobby, study something, be responsible, do something positive. anything.

If you do there won't be any room left in your mind or time left in your day to be distracted by the voices that torment you and they will slowly degenerate into nothingness and you will find peace..

Precisely.

They were called cannibals because the Roman authorities failed to comprehend that the command of Jesus to 'eat my flesh' has literally nothing whatever to do with eating anything just like the many disciples who left Jesus after he said, unless you eat my flesh you can have no life in you, because they too took it literally and failed to comprehend the hidden meaning of the metaphorical analogy that he later explained to the remaining disciples in John 6:63. that his words, teaching from God about the figurative nature of the words and hidden subjects of divine law, are what you must eat.

No matter how many eucharists there are in the world and however many devoted believers eat it daily they are not obeying the command of Jesus to eat his flesh.

You have been diverted by superstitious archaic lore and placed under a delusion to believe a lie.

Actually, I have not.

I understand you cannot/will not believe because your understanding is from the Roman point of view.

I choose to remain with scripture, Apostolic teaching, and early Christian belief. To compare this with cannibalism simply illustrates how far removed one is from Apostolic teaching and scripture. Some people buy into the Roman thought of cannibalism. But to the rest of us, that is like someone saying, "Sun" and asking two people to describe what first comes into their minds. One person say thirst and death; the other says light and warmth.

In the same way, Jesus says, "This is my body," and some people say, "Cannibalism" and others say, "Nourishment--in a similar way to how a mother nourishes her baby, where cannibalism isn't even a factor."

Precisely.

Actually, I have not.

I understand you cannot/will not believe because your understanding is from the Roman point of view.

I choose to remain with scripture, Apostolic teaching, and early Christian belief. To compare this with cannibalism simply illustrates how far removed one is from Apostolic teaching and scripture. Some people buy into the Roman thought of cannibalism. But to the rest of us, that is like someone saying, "Sun" and asking two people to describe what first comes into their minds. One person say thirst and death; the other says light and warmth.

In the same way, Jesus says, "This is my body," and some people say, "Cannibalism" and others say, "Nourishment--in a similar way to how a mother nourishes her baby, where cannibalism isn't even a factor."

You misunderstood.

I have not compared the command of Jesus to eat his flesh to cannibalism. I said that the disciples who left Jesus misunderstood this saying for cannibalism, "How can he give us his flesh to eat", exactly like the Roman authorities did, the same people who founded and gave authority to your church based on the same misunderstanding that led to the bizarre eating of the God ceremony where you seek spiritual nourishment from something lifeless made by human hands.

I stand with the disciples who remained as clearly recorded in scripture when they confirmed their belief in metaphor explained by Jesus in John 6:63 that flesh is worthless and his words, teaching, is what gives life and is the subject of his figurative use of the word flesh.

"The spirit alone gives life; the flesh is of no avail (worthless). The words that I have spoken to you are both spirit and life."

When Jesus asked them if they were going to leave him too after he explained to them the metaphor, Simon Peter said;

"Lord, to whom shall we go? Your words are words of eternal life. We have faith and know that you are the Holy One of God." John 6:68

Last edited:

Forum List

Back