Buddhist Teachings You Don't Understand.

Dhara

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2015
I'm guessing karma is at the top of the list. To a Buddhist, karma is merely causes and conditions, cause and effect. No judgment of right or wrong.

Rebirth--most non Buddhist think this is reincarnaion, which implies a "soul" or personality moves to another life. It simply means birth in one of the six realms of existence.

Comments? Questions?

And the question that I forgot to mention is what moves to another existence is "karma" and "qualities". No "soul", no "personality".

Sounds like something that is worse than false
That's a broad, sweeping generalization.

No one is interested in dissuading you of your opinion, I'd just like to understand where you're coming from better.

Thanks,

Dhara

I try to educate people that think Karma is retribution for bad deeds...But Americans, what are you gonna do?

I try to educate people that think Karma is retribution for bad deeds...But Americans, what are you gonna do?
That's a more Judaeo Christian interpretation of karma. You're of course, welcome to it, I see it more neutrally, more like science. Cause and effect. Action/reaction.

No "bad" or "good".

If it weren't for Karma, My Name is Earl would not have been conceived.

Sure, popular culture says karma means one thing, Buddhism teaches another. It's all good.

If it weren't for Karma, My Name is Earl would not have been conceived.

Sure, popular culture says karma means one thing, Buddhism teaches another. It's all good.

The notion of Karma is just a feel-good excuse for quantifying and justifying the Buddhist belief system. The same holds true for birth in another realm.

Buddhism is nothing special, and neither are you. You're just like the rest of us who merely think that we have answers when after all we ascribe to beliefs and practices that do nothing but validate our ignorance.

I'm guessing karma is at the top of the list. To a Buddhist, karma is merely causes and conditions, cause and effect. No judgment of right or wrong.

Rebirth--most non Buddhist think this is reincarnaion, which implies a "soul" or personality moves to another life. It simply means birth in one of the six realms of existence.

Comments? Questions?

How is it determined that a child is the reincarnation or rebirth of one lama or another?

Comments? Questions?

How is it determined that a child is the reincarnation or rebirth of one lama or another?
Those are special cases of conscious rebirth. The Lama who dies usually gives instructions on where to look for the tulku. These children will have qualities that are recognizable and there are ways they can be tested.

Comments? Questions?

Those are special cases of conscious rebirth. The Lama who dies usually gives instructions on where to look for the tulku. These children will have qualities that are recognizable and there are ways they can be tested.

Yes, but what are those ways that they are tested and what qualities are recognizable if the personality does not move to another life?

Comments? Questions?

What do Buddhists believe/what does Buddhism teach about drugs and alcohol?

It's more like you're born, you'll die. Guaranteed. That's karma.

Comments? Questions?

There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

Comments? Questions?

There are precepts of conduct. Avoid intoxication is one. That would mean abstinence if you're a monk or nun and not being stoned or drunk if you're a lay practitioner. Here is the vow:

"Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivating good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I will practice looking deeply into how I consume the Four Kinds of Nutriments, namely edible foods, sense impressions, volition, and consciousness. I am determined not to gamble, or to use alcohol, drugs, or any other products which contain toxins, such as certain websites, electronic games, TV programs, films, magazines, books, and conversations. I will practice coming back to the present moment to be in touch with the refreshing, healing and nourishing elements in me and around me, not letting regrets and sorrow drag me back into the past nor letting anxieties, fear, or craving pull me out of the present moment. I am determined not to try to cover up loneliness, anxiety, or other suffering by losing myself in consumption. I will contemplate interbeing and consume in a way that preserves peace, joy, and well-being in my body and consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family, my society and the Earth."

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?

Comments? Questions?

What does Buddhism teach about the weather, like who or what controls it and is it a tool of anyone or anything?
No teachings on the weather. I think you're pulling my leg.

Some great Buddhist masters are reknown for their ability to affect the weather through positive intention, prayer and meditation.

Forum List

Back