What are you listening to?

Do you like Van Morrison's stuff with Them? Even though I'm useless now for about 20 minutes, this always happens when listening to Françoise Hardy, such dreamy noise.

Only two albums, one 1965, the other 1966:

The Angry Young Them - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them Again - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them did an amazing version of Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go", which Williams released in 1935 on the brilliant Bluebird Records

Them released their version in 1964, the B-Side "Gloria" Van Morrison wrote himself.

Them "Baby Please Don't Go", I think actually one of the most perfect 45 records ever recorded, because it contains everything you want in ONE 45 record:

Big Joe Williams "Baby Please Don't Go", the original version 1935, the Delta Blues one:

Them "Gloria", incredibly wonderful:

Yeah all his stuff is good. So you get moved to the motion listen to certain tunes?

My day job which I've given up, sort of, to concentrate on other things, the day job has been music journalist, not any of that awful Pop Music though of course.

Sort of, Part timin it?

Do you like Van Morrison's stuff with Them? Even though I'm useless now for about 20 minutes, this always happens when listening to Françoise Hardy, such dreamy noise.

Only two albums, one 1965, the other 1966:

The Angry Young Them - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them Again - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Them did an amazing version of Big Joe Williams' "Baby Please Don't Go", which Williams released in 1935 on the brilliant Bluebird Records

Them released their version in 1964, the B-Side "Gloria" Van Morrison wrote himself.

Them "Baby Please Don't Go", I think actually one of the most perfect 45 records ever recorded, because it contains everything you want in ONE 45 record:

Big Joe Williams "Baby Please Don't Go", the original version 1935, the Delta Blues one:

Them "Gloria", incredibly wonderful:

Yeah all his stuff is good. So you get moved to the motion listen to certain tunes?

My day job which I've given up, sort of, to concentrate on other things, the day job has been music journalist, not any of that awful Pop Music though of course.

Sort of, Part timin it?

The other day yes, I was dragged back for the day. It must be my parfum, they miss it :cool-45:

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Link Wray & The Wraymen "Genocide" recorded 1969, always amazing stuff from Link Wray, it gets especially amazing from about 1 minute 36 seconds until the finish.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Didn't I make this topic already?

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the 1998 album "Peloton" on Chemikal Underground records.

The Delgados were a majestic band, from Glasgow, Scotland.

The Fall are my favourite band ever, from Manchester, England lead by Mark E. Smith. They released their 31st album last year "Sub-Lingual Tablet"

The Fall "Spoilt Victorian Child" from the 1985 album "This Nations Saving Grace" on Beggars Banquet records.

The Fall "Two Librans" from the 2000 album "The Unutterable" on Eagle Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the 1998 album "Peloton" on Chemikal Underground records.

The Delgados were a majestic band, from Glasgow, Scotland.

The Fall are my favourite band ever, from Manchester, England lead by Mark E. Smith. They released their 31st album last year "Sub-Lingual Tablet"

The Fall "Spoilt Victorian Child" from the 1985 album "This Nations Saving Grace" on Beggars Banquet records.

The Fall "Two Librans" from the 2000 album "The Unutterable" on Eagle Records.

Curtis Mayfield "Freddie's Dead" from 1972 album "Superfly" on Curtom records. "Freddie's Dead" a fantastic song about a Junkie. Mayfield's song construction, with the woodwind, strings and brass is just very spectacular.

Curtis Mayfield - Freddie's Dead

For some reason the video won't show, so you'll have to click on link for the video.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Make what topic?

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Make what topic?

Thought I did copy cat :)

What are you listening to ?

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Make what topic?

Yes, but I think this is for The Frog and me :smoke:

Although anyone can post if they wish.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Make what topic?

Yes, but I think this is for The Frog and me :smoke:

Although anyone can post if they wish.

Give me a drag off that smoke. Lol

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Elgins "Heaven Must Have Sent You", this was released in 1966 in the UK on Tamla Motown, it was also released in 1966 in the US on the VIP label, which was a subsidiary of Motown - as people should know Motown was the record label, Tamla was another Motown subsidiary, in Europa especially they released all Motown records on the Tamla Motown joint label.

Anyhow, The Elgins "Heaven Must Have Sent You" 1966 Tamla Motown....an absolute gem of a record:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Ottorino Respighi "St. Michael The Archangel" ("San Michele Arcangelo")

This is from Respighi's "Vetrate di Chiesa" written in 1926, it's in Four Movements, three are based on "Tre Preludi Sopra Melodie Gregoriane For Piano" which Respighi wrote in 1919.

Respighi "St. Michael The Archangel" from "Vetrate di Chiesa" (in English "Church Windows") it's STIRRING stuff when it really get's going:

Forum List

Back