What are you drinking Right Now?!??!?!?

I don't feel indestructible... I know very well where my vulnerabilities lie. I've just never understood why "drugs" are soooo bad. I do what I please and have never felt compelled to consume. You want to speak to that? Or is it more comfortable to just give platitudes? I like you A15, I don't get why you're coming at me like this. Let's be real.

Sorry if I'm coming off as rude.

I don't think drugs are bad per se ... lord knows I've done more than my fair share of them. I've just seen WAY too many people go down, people who I thought were better than that, to believe that anyone is invulnerable to getting beatin' by them in some form or another.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... Isn't there as much of a "rush" from the fact that it's illegal as from the drug itself?

I think you're wrong. You're presuming that people take it as a form of revolt, but I rather doubt that.

They take it to get high.

Cocaine is a euphoric drug which stimulates your brain's pleasure center about 8 seconds after you snort it or 2 seconds after you smoke it.

Addictive as hell in my rather too well informed opinion.

It's highly destructive both to the body and the personality when taken in quantity over long periods of time.

The rush is better than sex.

[
There is also an expanding school of thought that advocates the abolition of adolescence, and a greater symmetry between the reception of adult rights and biological adulthood.

Yes, the crowd who know (or don't care about) human life. Indeed we have already went too much in that direction. Once most cultures demanded a proof of adulthood, a intiation into the responsibilities and hardships that adulthood requires, one had to earn it no matter their age; now in the culture of yoooooof, we make the young pretend they understand adulthood, and then market their pretence, or worse.

Yes, the crowd who know (or don't care about) human life. Indeed we have already went too much in that direction. Once most cultures demanded a proof of adulthood, a intiation into the responsibilities and hardships that adulthood requires, one had to earn it no matter their age; now in the culture of yoooooof, we make the young pretend they understand adulthood, and then market their pretence, or worse.

Your understanding is apparently precisely backwards. Such a scheme involves the development of the capacity to make informed and rational decisions about one's own welfare as a necessary condition of exercising "autonomy."

Your understanding is apparently precisely backwards. Such a scheme involves the development of the capacity to make informed and rational decisions about one's own welfare as a necessary condition of exercising "autonomy."

Autonomy is not a biological experience, it is learned. The preditory autonomous argue those who have not learned should be accorded that which they have not demonstrated or learned.

Agna, I never insinuated that anyone was a junkie. I merely piped up after Amanda posted something along the lines of not seeing anything wrong with coke. Though I'm all for people doing what they want and all that jazz it certainly has it's dangers and her post had a tone to it that seemed like she felt that there were no consequences for her actions. I know your chest puffs out whenever anyone has the audacity of challenging you based on your age but sorry man, that's the way I see it. I was already in and out of that game while you were still missing your two front teeth. Having years more real life experience with this kind of thing matters. I'm not looking to school you or get you to worship me or however you put it, I'm just telling it like it is.

And no, Amanda, I would rather not share the experience I had when I hit rock bottom.

Agna, I never insinuated that anyone was a junkie. I merely piped up after Amanda posted something along the lines of not seeing anything wrong with coke. Though I'm all for people doing what they want and all that jazz it certainly has it's dangers and her post had a tone to it that seemed like she felt that there were no consequences for her actions. I know your chest puffs out whenever anyone has the audacity of challenging you based on your age but sorry man, that's the way I see it. I was already in and out of that game while you were still missing your two front teeth. Having years more real life experience with this kind of thing matters. I'm not looking to school you or get you to worship me or however you put it, I'm just telling it like it is.

But see, here's the problem. If I got someone forty to fifty years older than you to contradict you, that wouldn't change the truth or the reality of what's been said. If I got someone forty to fifty years older than you to deny everything you've said about the importance of age, that also wouldn't invalidate your perspective. Only legitimate evidence to the contrary can do that.

And my point about quality outranking quantity still stands. You simply don't know what my life experiences have been, and can't make assertions about them without making unqualified assumptions. That has nothing to do with anyone's age so much as our lack of knowledge about each other's personal information.

But see, here's the problem. If I got someone forty to fifty years older than you to contradict you, that wouldn't change the truth or the reality of what's been said. If I got someone forty to fifty years older than you to deny everything you've said about the importance of age, that also wouldn't invalidate your perspective. Only legitimate evidence to the contrary can do that.

And my point about quality outranking quantity still stands. You simply don't know what my life experiences have been, and can't make assertions about them without making unqualified assumptions. That has nothing to do with anyone's age so much as our lack of knowledge about each other's personal information.

Fair enough.

I'm not trying to discredit your opinion though I can understand where you might think that. My ultimate point is that years of experience in many different aspects and levels of all sorts of drug and alcohol abuse brings about insight, knowledge, and wisdom that can't really be acquired any other way other than living it. I've know I've done that. You claim quality over quantity and I say walk a mile in my shoes.

Fair enough.

I'm not trying to discredit your opinion though I can understand where you might think that. My ultimate point is that years of experience in many different aspects and levels of all sorts of drug and alcohol abuse brings about insight, knowledge, and wisdom that can't really be acquired any other way other than living it. I've know I've done that. You claim quality over quantity and I say walk a mile in my shoes.

Yeah. But again, you don't have any basis for apparently assuming that I don't have experience in encountering the consequences of drug and alcohol abuse.

Sorry Agna. Had you remembered other posts, you'd know that, in this case, these children were encouraged... no, make that taught, to be independent thinkers, and challenged to think beyond their age-specific little games and TV shows. It is why they all excelled and are who they are now. The fact that adolescents feel the need to BE adults is nothing new, it's just that they are NOT. There is NO evidence otherwise.

I don't know anything about your family affairs and obviously can't presume to, but it's often not possible to resist the influence of a wider culture. That said, it's seeming more and more to me that you haven't read any of my posts; you certainly didn't reply to my post detailing the reality that adolescence is a social construct established during the late 19th and early 20th century, and that the concept of childhood as a whole is rather fluid, and has varied from culture to culture and time to time. Now please realize that I can understand why you'd base your analysis on your own experience over the past forty to fifty years or whatever, but it's certainly not a substitute for historical and sociological analysis of the human life cycle. I've already referred to Fussell and Furstenberg's analysis, for instance.

The age at which a person becomes an adult is inherently subjective. It could depend on a person's behavior, their status as a student, worker, spouse or parent, or their legal status. Adulthood may also be attained through socially recognized rites of passage. In the U.S. clear-cut age categories only began to emerge as socially salient in the late 19th and early 20th century (Kett 1977). Adolescence was "discovered" in the early 20th century as part of a social movement intended to protect children and youth from economic exploitation and to justify and promote the extension of standardized public education (Chudacoff 1989; Katz 1995; Zelizer 1994). The cultural cultivation of adolescence as a life stage became even more developed in the post-war era when social scientists began to study youth and youth cultures seriously (Coleman 1961; Flacks 1971; Kett 1977; Modell 1989).

There is also an expanding school of thought that advocates the abolition of adolescence, and a greater symmetry between the reception of adult rights and biological adulthood. The major proponent of that school is the psychologist Robert Epstein, and it's been recently endorsed by no less noteworthy a figure than Newt Gingrich.

You enjoy repeating yourself AND me? Perhaps memory loss isn't REALLY confined to old age....

You enjoy repeating yourself AND me? Perhaps memory loss isn't REALLY confined to old age....

I've never quoted that particular portion before, so I don't know what you're referring to. Regardless, you continue to repeat a claim that's already been addressed. Now, it ought to be that you say X, I counter X, and you then stop repeating X until you've addressed my counter to it. I don't know why that's not the case here, though it's likely related to the popular misconception that childhood and adolescents are fixed conditions and have been for the entirety of human history.

[
There is also an expanding school of thought that advocates the abolition of adolescence, and a greater symmetry between the reception of adult rights and biological adulthood.

are you spelling that right....isnt it pretense....not that i can spell shit but i am trying to hold on to the few words i can spell....maybe if i used larged font and red it would help ...what ya think...

I don't think drugs are bad per se ... lord knows I've done more than my fair share of them. I've just seen WAY too many people go down, people who I thought were better than that, to believe that anyone is invulnerable to getting beatin' by them in some form or another.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.... Isn't there as much of a "rush" from the fact that it's illegal as from the drug itself?

I think you're wrong. You're presuming that people take it as a form of revolt, but I rather doubt that.

They take it to get high.

Cocaine is a euphoric drug which stimulates your brain's pleasure center about 8 seconds after you snort it or 2 seconds after you smoke it.

Addictive as hell in my rather too well informed opinion.

It's highly destructive both to the body and the personality when taken in quantity over long periods of time.

The rush is better than sex.

You must have a very boring sex life.

I've never quoted that particular portion before, so I don't know what you're referring to. Regardless, you continue to repeat a claim that's already been addressed. Now, it ought to be that you say X, I counter X, and you then stop repeating X until you've addressed my counter to it. I don't know why that's not the case here, though it's likely related to the popular misconception that childhood and adolescents are fixed conditions and have been for the entirety of human history.

A particular portion, being similar, is the same repeated argument -- which, in another thread, was addressed. The fact that you did not like the response is not my problem. Circular arguments, even if they do overlap threads, don't interest me as they serve no purpose, nor does beating one's head against a wall -- except to induce a headache. It's the same reason for not engaging in every "choice" thread. Does that make it clearer for you?

lol i am not drinking it right now.....sillie....its the new brew ...trendy ...fat tire, 1552 or some shit and mother ship which is a wheat beer....right now i am drinking water....kk...this may shock you but i rarely drink....i iz out...i iz working on not being out...

I've been drinking Fat Tire for 6 or 7 years now, when did it become "trendy?"

Man, now I have to find a new beer... I suppose that's okay though, I don't imagine I will mind that search...

Many fall into it for just that reason, they want to be criminals. It's why I never trust a junky either, not because of their addiction because let's face it, we're all addicted to something, but because they demonstrate their willingness to break the law and their lack of conscience.

Speak for yourself, we're not all addicted to anything.

A particular portion, being similar, is the same repeated argument -- which, in another thread, was addressed. The fact that you did not like the response is not my problem. Circular arguments, even if they do overlap threads, don't interest me as they serve no purpose, nor does beating one's head against a wall -- except to induce a headache. It's the same reason for not engaging in every "choice" thread. Does that make it clearer for you?

I saw no actual response, and rebutted what was offered. But that's fine with me; it's not necessary to agree on this topic.

Forum List

Back