What Are These People Thinking?

n-JEFFERSON-COUNTY-SCHOOLS-large570.jpg

ARVADA, Colo. (AP) — Hundreds of students walked out of classrooms around suburban Denver on Tuesday in protest over a conservative-led school board proposal to focus history education on topics that promote citizenship, patriotism and respect for authority, in a show of civil disobedience that the new standards would aim to downplay.

The youth protest involving six high schools in the state's second-largest school district follows a sick-out from teachers that shut down two high schools in the politically and economically diverse area that has become a key political battleground.

Student participants said their demonstration was organized by word of mouth and social media. Many waved American flags and carried signs, including messages that read "There is nothing more patriotic than protest."

"I don't think my education should be censored. We should be able to know what happened in our past," said Tori Leu, a 17-year-old student who protested at Ralston Valley High School in Arvada.

The school board proposal that triggered the walkouts in Jefferson County calls for instructional materials that present positive aspects of the nation and its heritage. It would establish a committee to regularly review texts and course plans, starting with Advanced Placement history, to make sure materials "promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights" and don't "encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law."

The proposal from Julie Williams, part of the board's conservative majority, has not been voted on and was put on hold last week. She didn't return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment Tuesday, but previously told Chalkbeat Colorado, a school news website, that she recognizes there are negative events that are part of U.S. history that need to be taught.

"There are things we may not be proud of as Americans," she said. "But we shouldn't be encouraging our kids to think that America is a bad place."

A student demonstrator, Tyrone G. Parks, a senior at Arvada High School, said Tuesday that the nation's foundation was built on civil protests, "and everything that we've done is what allowed us to be at this point today. And if you take that from us, you take away everything that America was built off of."

More: Denver Area Students Walk Out Of School In Protest

Why do Conservatives keep trying to whitewash history?
So if the subject matter isn't what you want its white washing? right? the tolerant left showing just how tolerant they are!!

Someone already posted about these brats.

Try reading other peoples threads :rolleyes;

Silly school board. Only progressive manipulation of a curriculum is allowed.

So Frank thinks the ideological agenda with which he disagrees is communistic?

To teach American history openly and honestly is communistic?

It is not a bad idea. However, they should change the course name from "History" to "Propaganda".

The one thing that bewilders me is, just when did the Colorado School system get taken over by the Texas school system?

CrudsaderFrank thinks teaching American history warts and all is communistic.

the committee would make sure that U.S. history materials "promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in U.S. history should present balanced and factual treatments of the positions."

Sounds like things I'd expect to hear in a fascist nation, not a free one. Authority should always be questioned and unjust laws should not be obeyed.

I can support the cnages as amended below:

Instructional

materials should present [strike "positive"] all aspects of the United States and

its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in

history should present balanced and factual treatment of the

positions.

Why get so upset about that? Doesn't seem so awful. Quit yer bitchin and get back to class. And shame on the asshole parents who allowed their brats to behave like assholes. This is a good example of why it would be best to choose Private or Home Schooling for your child. The Public School System is a mess. I would avoid it if at all possible.

the committee would make sure that U.S. history materials "promote citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free enterprise system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights. Materials should not encourage or condone civil disorder, social strife or disregard of the law. Instructional materials should present positive aspects of the United States and its heritage. Content pertaining to political and social movements in U.S. history should present balanced and factual treatments of the positions."

Sounds like things I'd expect to hear in a fascist nation, not a free one. Authority should always be questioned and unjust laws should not be obeyed.

Its blowback from progressives trying to turn history lessons into political indoctrination. Its heavy handed and misguided, but its not unexpected.

Why get so upset about that? Doesn't seem so awful. Quit yer bitchin and get back to class. And shame on the asshole parents who allowed their brats to behave like assholes. This is a good example of why it would be best to choose Private or Home Schooling for your child. The Public School System is a mess. I would avoid it if at all possible.

I wonder why this does not surprise me?

I confess that it concerns me that if Tea Party types start determining school curricula, then the kids might all grow up to be Palin clones.....

Forum List

Back