What Americans Were.....sigh....

Discussion in 'History' started by PoliticalChic, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    March 22.1775, Edmund Burke took the floor of the British Parliament, and explained why his country should seek reconciliation with the Americans, asserting that the colonists derived their ideas about freedom and resistance from their Protestant Christianity.

They were Protestants “of that kind which is most adverse to all implicit submission of mind and opinion,” and their dissent from the Anglican Church not only favored liberty, it was “built upon it.”
    Edmund Burke, “The Speech of Edmund Burke, Esq,; On Moving His Resolution for Conciliation with the Colonies,” p.15-17.

Today, another March 22, this great nation is half filled with folks who demand that others pay for their chosen styles of life, their insurance, their leisure....who give up individuality and liberty for the embrace of the collective, the state.

What would Edmund Burke think of Americans today...and the poster child for the spoiled, full-of-themselves wastrels, Sandra Fluke?

November will tell if the other kinds of Americans are still around...I think they are.

Who was Edmund Burke?
    The philosopher who is generally considered the father of modern conservatism.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  2. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion....Edmund Burke

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Ah Edmund Burke! Real Conservatism indeed!

4. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781

March 23, 1775 Patrick Henry spoke at the Virginia Convention advocating for a defensive state militia, calling the struggle against Britain as “a holy cause of liberty,” with God fighting on their behalf. In what would be his signature, he proclaimed “as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!’

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    If there aren't any ?

6. Nosmo King

Nosmo King Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,298
    If we could only live as our founding father did and believe in the same things, what a glorious adventure we would have.

No paved roads, rum used as an anesthetic, and a life span of around 42 years.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  7. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,281
    It has always struck me as curious that we would never go back and use the medicine or the science of the time in which Burke lived, but somehow his vague and often contradictory ranting and raving is just wonderful and still appropriate. Of course the reason for that is obvious, he exists not as a reality of the time but as a dream of the present that looks back and see the lost garden of Eden. My advice to PC and others who dream of this imaginary past of wine and roses: grow up, face the fact that while life ain't super great and government ain't super great, and most people ain't superwo/man, it is a helluva lot better than those times of plague, slavery, turmoil, unequal rights, and early death. Work in the now and forget the fantasy.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
  8. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,139
    "You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who's just going to be a little different than the person in there," Santorum told supporters in San Antonio. "If you're going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future."
    Rick Santorum
    March 22, 2012

"Good morning. American and coalition forces have begun a concerted campaign against the regime of Saddam Hussein. In this war, our coalition is broad, more than 40 countries from across the globe. Our cause is just, the security of the nations we serve and the peace of the world. And our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people.'
    George W. Bush
    March 22, 2003

The difference between Sandra Fluke and PC is clear. Ms. Fluke speaks HER mind and reflects the words of RFK: "Some men see things as they are and say why.
    I dream things that never were and say why not."

PC's mind is stuck in the 18th century and cannot factor in the world as it is today. Such is the world of the Reactionary, not a conservative as she likes to pretend.

9. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    What does that have to do with self-respect, initiative, a desire for freedom and liberty?

10. PoliticalChic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781

Every time I read your post, I shake my head so rapidly, you could blend paint colors in my mouth….
    " Ms. Fluke speaks HER mind and reflects the words of RFK: "Some men see things as they are and say why.
    I dream things that never were and say why not."

Every time I read your post, I shake my head so rapidly, you could blend paint colors in my mouth….

There's only one part of Ms. Fluke that "some men see."

I guess you don't realize how moronic you sound....RFK running on a platform of the United States of America paying spoiled 30-something brats to have as much sex as they would like....and demanding that working Americans pay for same.....

Exactly what the OP was claiming about the Left.

As predicted, the lower Obama and the Democrats fall in the polls, the more loud and loony the Left becomes.