What Americans Were.....sigh....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
March 22.1775, Edmund Burke took the floor of the British Parliament, and explained why his country should seek reconciliation with the Americans, asserting that the colonists derived their ideas about freedom and resistance from their Protestant Christianity.

They were Protestants “of that kind which is most adverse to all implicit submission of mind and opinion,” and their dissent from the Anglican Church not only favored liberty, it was “built upon it.”
Edmund Burke, “The Speech of Edmund Burke, Esq,; On Moving His Resolution for Conciliation with the Colonies,” p.15-17.

Today, another March 22, this great nation is half filled with folks who demand that others pay for their chosen styles of life, their insurance, their leisure....who give up individuality and liberty for the embrace of the collective, the state.

What would Edmund Burke think of Americans today...and the poster child for the spoiled, full-of-themselves wastrels, Sandra Fluke?

November will tell if the other kinds of Americans are still around...I think they are.

Who was Edmund Burke?
The philosopher who is generally considered the father of modern conservatism.

Last edited:
March 22.1775, Edmund Burke took the floor of the British Parliament, and explained why his country should seek reconciliation with the Americans, asserting that the colonists derived their ideas about freedom and resistance from their Protestant Christianity.

They were Protestants “of that kind which is most adverse to all implicit submission of mind and opinion,” and their dissent from the Anglican Church not only favored liberty, it was “built upon it.”
Edmund Burke, “The Speech of Edmund Burke, Esq,; On Moving His Resolution for Conciliation with the Colonies,” p.15-17.

Today, another March 22, this great nation is half filled with folks who demand that others pay for their chosen styles of life, their insurance, their leisure....who give up individuality and liberty for the embrace of the collective, the state.

What would Edmund Burke think of Americans today...and the poster child for the spoiled, full-of-themselves wastrels, Sandra Fluke?

November will tell if the other kinds of Americans are still around...I think they are.

Who was Edmund Burke?

The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion....Edmund Burke

Who was Edmund Burke?

March 23, 1775 Patrick Henry spoke at the Virginia Convention advocating for a defensive state militia, calling the struggle against Britain as “a holy cause of liberty,” with God fighting on their behalf. In what would be his signature, he proclaimed “as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!’

It has always struck me as curious that we would never go back and use the medicine or the science of the time in which Burke lived, but somehow his vague and often contradictory ranting and raving is just wonderful and still appropriate. Of course the reason for that is obvious, he exists not as a reality of the time but as a dream of the present that looks back and see the lost garden of Eden. My advice to PC and others who dream of this imaginary past of wine and roses: grow up, face the fact that while life ain't super great and government ain't super great, and most people ain't superwo/man, it is a helluva lot better than those times of plague, slavery, turmoil, unequal rights, and early death. Work in the now and forget the fantasy.

Who was Edmund Burke?

"You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who's just going to be a little different than the person in there," Santorum told supporters in San Antonio. "If you're going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future."
Rick Santorum
March 22, 2012

"Good morning. American and coalition forces have begun a concerted campaign against the regime of Saddam Hussein. In this war, our coalition is broad, more than 40 countries from across the globe. Our cause is just, the security of the nations we serve and the peace of the world. And our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people.'
George W. Bush
March 22, 2003

The difference between Sandra Fluke and PC is clear. Ms. Fluke speaks HER mind and reflects the words of RFK: "Some men see things as they are and say why.
I dream things that never were and say why not."

PC's mind is stuck in the 18th century and cannot factor in the world as it is today. Such is the world of the Reactionary, not a conservative as she likes to pretend.

If we could only live as our founding father did and believe in the same things, what a glorious adventure we would have.

No paved roads, rum used as an anesthetic, and a life span of around 42 years.

What does that have to do with self-respect, initiative, a desire for freedom and liberty?

Who was Edmund Burke?

"You win by giving people a choice. You win by giving people the opportunity to see a different vision for our country, not someone who's just going to be a little different than the person in there," Santorum told supporters in San Antonio. "If you're going to be a little different, we might as well stay with what we have instead of taking a risk with what may be the Etch A Sketch candidate of the future."
Rick Santorum
March 22, 2012

"Good morning. American and coalition forces have begun a concerted campaign against the regime of Saddam Hussein. In this war, our coalition is broad, more than 40 countries from across the globe. Our cause is just, the security of the nations we serve and the peace of the world. And our mission is clear, to disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, to end Saddam Hussein's support for terrorism, and to free the Iraqi people.'
George W. Bush
March 22, 2003

The difference between Sandra Fluke and PC is clear. Ms. Fluke speaks HER mind and reflects the words of RFK: "Some men see things as they are and say why.

PC's mind is stuck in the 18th century and cannot factor in the world as it is today. Such is the world of the Reactionary, not a conservative as she likes to pretend.

Every time I read your post, I shake my head so rapidly, you could blend paint colors in my mouth….
" Ms. Fluke speaks HER mind and reflects the words of RFK: "Some men see things as they are and say why.

Every time I read your post, I shake my head so rapidly, you could blend paint colors in my mouth….

There's only one part of Ms. Fluke that "some men see."

I guess you don't realize how moronic you sound....RFK running on a platform of the United States of America paying spoiled 30-something brats to have as much sex as they would like....and demanding that working Americans pay for same.....

Exactly what the OP was claiming about the Left.

As predicted, the lower Obama and the Democrats fall in the polls, the more loud and loony the Left becomes.

You're going to tell me that you're willing to trade what we have now with what they had then?

You're going to tell me that you're willing to trade what we have now with what they had then?

Well, first I'm going to compliment you on the use of the phrase "...tell me..." rather than the phrase of choice of the fearful little Lefties...the "...tell us..." crowd.

Then, I'm going to point out that you are making a huge bone-head mistake in trying to make your point.
In order for your question to have any meaning you would have to claim that it is impossible to have the current state of technological advancement AND believe in the following:

1. The US Constitution being the law of the land...specifically Article I, section 8.

2. Limited government

3. Checks and balances

4. Federalism

"Upon entering office, the president must solemnly promise that, to the best of his ability, he will “preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” That is required by the Constitution, which also says that “senators and representatives, and all executive and judicial officers … shall be bound by oath or affirmation to support this Constitution.”

Far too many of these leaders have taken that oath—and then done the opposite! The current president has, to the best of his ability, smeared, ignored and undermined that founding document!

...the seeds of this anti-law thinking were sown a century ago by Woodrow Wilson, who viewed the Constitution’s doctrines of limited government as obsolete. “Wilson argued that progress and evolution had brought human beings to a place and time where we didn’t have to worry about limited government,”..."
The Obama Administration vs. the American Constitution - theTrumpet.com by the Philadelphia Church of God

So, is that the trade you have in mind?
I never believed it was.

I think the SCOTUS decision on the constitutionality of ObamaCare will have a big influence too. If it's upheld then basically there's no limit to what the gov't can force you to do.

I think the SCOTUS decision on the constitutionality of ObamaCare will have a big influence too. If it's upheld then basically there's no limit to what the gov't can force you to do.

The mechanism for determining constitutionality is based on the assumptions that each branch agree of same as follows...
The Congress must feel the bill is constitutional or should not pass it.
The President must also assent or should not sign it...
And the Court should determine that the language of the Constitution forbids same, or
must find it constitutional....

Uh, oh.

And, Jeffrey Rosen, New Republic Magazine Legal Affairs Editor, suggested
Pro-Business Conservatives on the Court, represented by policies of the US Chamber of Commerce, strongly represented on the Roberts’ Court, where they won some 13 of 18 cases in which they filed a brief. Most business cases are unanimous or 7-2 decisions, vs those cases that deal with culture war issues.

These conservatives favored TARP, and he use of federal pre-emption (federal law to take precedence over or to displace a state law) for farm subsidies, healthcare cases. Based on this sentiment, a court which has embraced a broad vision of federal power, as found in regulation of medical marijuana, expect the Roberts Court to reject the pro-states rights view that would lead to the invalidation of the healthcare case.

Double uh, oh.

I would be so pleased to be wrong.....

It has always struck me as curious that we would never go back and use the medicine or the science of the time in which Burke lived, but somehow his vague and often contradictory ranting and raving is just wonderful and still appropriate. Of course the reason for that is obvious, he exists not as a reality of the time but as a dream of the present that looks back and see the lost garden of Eden. My advice to PC and others who dream of this imaginary past of wine and roses: grow up, face the fact that while life ain't super great and government ain't super great, and most people ain't superwo/man, it is a helluva lot better than those times of plague, slavery, turmoil, unequal rights, and early death. Work in the now and forget the fantasy.

Who was Edmund Burke?

Rick Santorum
March 22, 2012

George W. Bush
March 22, 2003

Why do you idiots insist that a call for the return to conservative principles means abandoning modern civilization?

Oh...it's because you don't have a rational rebuttal to conservative principles.

Kerry on.

Who was Edmund Burke?

Rick Santorum
March 22, 2012

George W. Bush
March 22, 2003

Why do you idiots insist that a call for the return to conservative principles means abandoning modern civilization?

Oh...it's because you don't have a rational rebuttal to conservative principles.

Kerry on.

I'd be only too pleased to review for our Liberal friends:

1.Individualism,

2. Free markets,

3. and Limited constitutional government.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Rick Santorum
March 22, 2012

George W. Bush
March 22, 2003

Kerry on.

I'd be only too pleased to review for our Liberal friends:

1.Individualism,

2. Free markets,

3. and Limited constitutional government.
You may as well be speaking in Esperanto, dear. They're not equipped to understand those ideas.

Yup... goodbye free America, hello socialist states of America.

And just imagine what an obama that doesn't have to worry about reelection would try to pull if the worst happens and he wins in Nov.

Forum List

Back