West Virginia Republican Stooge Joe Manchin Signs His States Death Warrant

It's too bad Manchin has that KKK Byrd baggage associated with him.

That's the only thing keeping him in the democrat party.

He could denounce his racist past and be welcomed with open arms into the GOP, if he could withstand the queer-as-fuck twitter storm that would follow.

Coal mining is an extraction industry. When an extraction industry ends, every person and community dependent on that industry is left with not just nothing, but less than nothing. They’re left carrying the cost in health care for all the people harmed by companies that saw health and safety regulations as an obstacle to be avoided. They’re left with the environmental consequences of an industry that, by its nature, destroys not just forests and streams but entire mountains and valleys. They’re left with an economy hollowed out by a company that, in its final retreat, leaves behind neither a workforce nor conditions that attract a replacement.

What does a community look like when an extraction industry shuts down? Pick any ghost town in the West. That’s what it looks like.

In 2018, the Sierra Club took a look at the town of Lynch, Kentucky, to see what a mining community was like when the mines left. They found it “hollowed out” and falling to ruin. But Lynch is just one of many such towns. I’ve been there. I’ve seen them. It’s not just that the only industry in town has left, it’s that the industry left behind valleys filled with rubble, streets edged with coal that spilled from passing trucks, a water supply spoiled by acid runoff. I’ve been there. I grew up there. And in my decades as a geologist for a major coal mining company, I helped perpetuate it.

When the mining stops, what’s left are sick people and a failing town; the kind of community where even those who have worked themselves into “middle class respectability” suddenly find that their home is worth nothing, their loc al schools are bankrupt, and all their debts are as big as ever.

Right now, Joe Manchin is standing in the way of a reconciliation bill that offers West Virginia an off ramp on the road to ruin. And why he’s doing it … that doesn’t even really matter.

Vote Manchin and Republicans out of office, and your lives will get better because of that alone.

Hey clueless asshole. The wind Turbine industry is far worse. It is also an extraction industry. Neodymium....cannot make the turbines without it. It is rare earth and therefor requires up to 1,000 times the mining and refining to get it out of the ground compared to coal. Entire regions of china have been environmentally poisoned for this purpose. Solar likewise requires several extracted elements that are just a virulent to mine as coal. The expanded grid required by the falsely named renewable industry uses three hundred percent more copper to get the interruptible power out to the cities.

You know what your problem is? People....you think that the people should serve the earth instead of using it to live on. The coal industry was a champion job maker. From extraction, to transport to final destination where a 2500 megawatt coal fired plant employed 250 people on the average at high paying jobs to provide reliable power. New stack technologies make it just as clean as the renewable effort. What? You think they use solar powered excavators to dig up the Neodymium you doofus?

Go away and read a book by candlelight somewhere in a cold, unheated room.

JO

Coal mining is an extraction industry. When an extraction industry ends, every person and community dependent on that industry is left with not just nothing, but less than nothing. They’re left carrying the cost in health care for all the people harmed by companies that saw health and safety regulations as an obstacle to be avoided. They’re left with the environmental consequences of an industry that, by its nature, destroys not just forests and streams but entire mountains and valleys. They’re left with an economy hollowed out by a company that, in its final retreat, leaves behind neither a workforce nor conditions that attract a replacement.

What does a community look like when an extraction industry shuts down? Pick any ghost town in the West. That’s what it looks like.

In 2018, the Sierra Club took a look at the town of Lynch, Kentucky, to see what a mining community was like when the mines left. They found it “hollowed out” and falling to ruin. But Lynch is just one of many such towns. I’ve been there. I’ve seen them. It’s not just that the only industry in town has left, it’s that the industry left behind valleys filled with rubble, streets edged with coal that spilled from passing trucks, a water supply spoiled by acid runoff. I’ve been there. I grew up there. And in my decades as a geologist for a major coal mining company, I helped perpetuate it.

When the mining stops, what’s left are sick people and a failing town; the kind of community where even those who have worked themselves into “middle class respectability” suddenly find that their home is worth nothing, their local schools are bankrupt, and all their debts are as big as ever.

Right now, Joe Manchin is standing in the way of a reconciliation bill that offers West Virginia an off ramp on the road to ruin. And why he’s doing it … that doesn’t even really matter.

Vote Manchin and Republicans out of office, and your lives will get better because of that alone.
Quit pretending that you give a flying fuck about people in West Virginia, you elitist punk.

Quit pretending that you give a flying fuck about people in West Virginia, you elitist punk.
He is an idiot hack....those words are not even his own. They are talking points and as usual Talking points are uninformed and one sided.

Look at what Wind and Solar have done:

A half-century of rare earths mining in China has caused serious environmental problems.
Bayan-Obo, China’s largest rare earths project, has been operating for more than four decades. According to the Germany-based Institute for Applied Ecology, the site now has an 11-square-kilometer waste pond — about three times the size of New York City’s Central Park — with toxic sludge that contains elevated concentrations of thorium.

China’s lax environmental standards have enabled it to produce rare earths at roughly a third the price of its international competitors, according to a 2010 report on the country’s rare earths industry by the Washington-based Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. The report noted that China “has never actually worked out pollutant discharge standards for the rare earth industry.”

Like nuclear power plants, rare earths projects require strict independent auditing in order to prevent environmental damage, according to Peter Karamoskos, a nuclear radiologist and the public’s representative at Australia’s Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency. But as the rare earths industry expands to developing countries like Malaysia and Vietnam, such oversight will be unlikely. “A regulator will either be in the pocket of the industry or a government,” he says.

When the mining stops, what’s left are sick people and a failing town; the kind of community where even those who have worked themselves into “middle class respectability” suddenly find that their home is worth nothing, their local schools are bankrupt, and all their debts are as big as ever.

:boohoo:

He is an idiot hack....those words are not even his own. They are talking points and as usual Talking points are uninformed and one sided.

Look at what Wind and Solar have done:

Bayan-Obo, China’s largest rare earths project, has been operating for more than four decades. According to the Germany-based Institute for Applied Ecology, the site now has an 11-square-kilometer waste pond — about three times the size of New York City’s Central Park — with toxic sludge that contains elevated concentrations of thorium.

China’s lax environmental standards have enabled it to produce rare earths at roughly a third the price of its international competitors, according to a 2010 report on the country’s rare earths industry by the Washington-based Institute for the Analysis of Global Security. The report noted that China “has never actually worked out pollutant discharge standards for the rare earth industry.”

Like nuclear power plants, rare earths projects require strict independent auditing in order to prevent environmental damage, according to Peter Karamoskos, a nuclear radiologist and the public’s representative at Australia’s Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency. But as the rare earths industry expands to developing countries like Malaysia and Vietnam, such oversight will be unlikely. “A regulator will either be in the pocket of the industry or a government,” he says.
One of the reasons that elemetary economics isn't taught anymore....You'd learn things like trade-offs, push-down-pop-up, externalities, and a slew of other basic concepts of which the "green" watermelons are blissfully ignorant.

Amen! Manchin is a greedy fool who is beholden to his donors and personal coal investments. He is betraying his constituents and state. Shame on him!

Amen! Manchin is a greedy fool who is beholden to his donors and personal coal investments. He is betraying his constituents and state. Shame on him!

You just described every single person who has ever served in DC.......except for one.

Without energy, we all die.
Coal has always been the main source of energy.
When oil and gas run out in 40 years, then we will have to go back to coal.
We have enough coal to last over 400 years.

Anyone who thinks we should shut down coal production is an idiot.

Manchin is a faithful State politician sensitive to his States employment needs. He's not a member of the sect of Gaia. And frankly neither are any of the Democrats... They are all members of the sect of f****** put green bucks in my wallet.

Jo

Manchin is a faithful State politician sensitive to his States employment needs. He's not a member of the sect of Gaia. And frankly neither are any of the Democrats... They are all members of the sect of f****** put green bucks in my wallet.

Jo

Why do West Virginia polls show that Manchin is NOT "a faithful State politician sensitive to his States employment needs"?

Forum List

Back