West (R-FL) desecrates flag

That's strange. I remember seeing that quote in "It Can't Happen Here".

Good book. I recommend it to everyone, regardless of politics.

To give you a sense of Neiwert’s unique brand of scholarship, The Eliminationists quotes novelist Sinclair Lewis’s quip that fascism in the United States will come "wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." In the days since the shootings in Arizona, an image of the Lewis quote superimposed on an photo of Palin has made the rounds on Facebook and a number of left-leaning blogs. An attack on Beck, Palin, and Limbaugh appeared in letters page of today’s Seattle Times citing Sinclair Lewis’s supposedly prescient observation, and warning Americans not to ignore the signs of a fascist takeover—as so many “middle class Germans” did.

Thankfully, Neiwert’s book footnotes the quote, attributing it to Lewis’s 1935 novel It Can’t Happen Here, though he curiously fails to provide a page number. This is because Neiwert is bluffing, fudging the citation—the (rather unimpressive) line can’t be found in It Can’t Happen Here because Lewis never uttered or committed it to paper. It is, in fact, an Internet quotation; one spread far and wide by the dumb and partisan, despite an obviously murky provenance.

The phony Lewis quote also shows up in liberal journalist Joe Conason’s book (titled, of course, It Can Happen Here) on the coming of fascism in the United States—a threat that vanished, apparently, after the peaceful transition from Bush to Obama. And for those keeping score at home, Chris Matthews, in a recent conversation about Sarah Palin on Hardball, told guest Richard Wolffe that “Huey Long wasn't the most sane guy in the world, Richard, but he said that when fascism comes to America, it will call itself anti-fascism.” As you might have already guessed, the Long quote is also fake.​
The Extreme Rhetoric about Extreme Rhetoric (With Bonus Fake Sinclair Lewis Fascism Quote!) - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

It appears he's right. I just did a quick search of the PDF and it's not in there. I suppose it's a literary urban legend, like the Churchill "If you aren't a conservative by the time you are 35 you have no brain".

That quote does keep with the spirit of "It can't happen here" though in which a fascist dictator takes control of the country under the guise of uber-patriotism and with the help of religious leaders, which again, I recommend to everyone.

That's strange. I remember seeing that quote in "It Can't Happen Here".

Good book. I recommend it to everyone, regardless of politics.

To give you a sense of Neiwert’s unique brand of scholarship, The Eliminationists quotes novelist Sinclair Lewis’s quip that fascism in the United States will come "wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." In the days since the shootings in Arizona, an image of the Lewis quote superimposed on an photo of Palin has made the rounds on Facebook and a number of left-leaning blogs. An attack on Beck, Palin, and Limbaugh appeared in letters page of today’s Seattle Times citing Sinclair Lewis’s supposedly prescient observation, and warning Americans not to ignore the signs of a fascist takeover—as so many “middle class Germans” did.

Thankfully, Neiwert’s book footnotes the quote, attributing it to Lewis’s 1935 novel It Can’t Happen Here, though he curiously fails to provide a page number. This is because Neiwert is bluffing, fudging the citation—the (rather unimpressive) line can’t be found in It Can’t Happen Here because Lewis never uttered or committed it to paper. It is, in fact, an Internet quotation; one spread far and wide by the dumb and partisan, despite an obviously murky provenance.

The phony Lewis quote also shows up in liberal journalist Joe Conason’s book (titled, of course, It Can Happen Here) on the coming of fascism in the United States—a threat that vanished, apparently, after the peaceful transition from Bush to Obama. And for those keeping score at home, Chris Matthews, in a recent conversation about Sarah Palin on Hardball, told guest Richard Wolffe that “Huey Long wasn't the most sane guy in the world, Richard, but he said that when fascism comes to America, it will call itself anti-fascism.” As you might have already guessed, the Long quote is also fake.​
The Extreme Rhetoric about Extreme Rhetoric (With Bonus Fake Sinclair Lewis Fascism Quote!) - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

It appears he's right. I just did a quick search of the PDF and it's not in there. I suppose it's a literary urban legend, like the Churchill "If you aren't a conservative by the time you are 35 you have no brain".

That quote does keep with the spirit of "It can't happen here" though in which a fascist dictator takes control of the country under the guise of uber-patriotism and with the help of religious leaders, which again, I recommend to everyone.

Fake But Accurate, huh? :lol:

Literary urban legends.

I wonder if Kennedy or Johnson should have been impeached for flying it on the moon??
:cuckoo:

Moot point - since every moon landing took place under Nixon.
So I've been told.
When I posted that I was picturing Kennedy making his speech that kicked off the space race.
Besides I was just born in 66, so I barely remember seeing the moon landing on TV (my Granny died believing it was filmed in Hollywood).
:cool:

Literary urban legends.
There's some good ones.

I wonder if Kennedy or Johnson should have been impeached for flying it on the moon??
:cuckoo:

Moot point - since every moon landing took place under Nixon.
So I've been told.
When I posted that I was picturing Kennedy making his speech that kicked off the space race.
Besides I was just born in 66, so I barely remember seeing the moon landing on TV (my Granny died believing it was filmed in Hollywood).
:cool:

Back in those days - the left used Old Glory for everything incl toilet paper - those that they didn't burn.

Nixon was an awesome president except for handling of botched 3rd rate burglary - got out of Nam without cutting-and-running, strong economy, detente with Soviet Union and Red China, moon landings, the first president to pay lip service to the environment (EPA) and endangered species (Endangered Species Act) etc ....

Was validated in a slam-dunk re-election

Last edited:
Literary urban legends.
There's some good ones.

I guess now that I think about it. I read the book last September. I think I picked up the book due to the falsely attributed quote.

Ironic.
Well Geaux, you at least have the honor and the honesty to say that. Those are often missing in political discourse these days, and I commend you for it. Whatever else has changed, they apparently still teach honor and integrity in OCS these days.

The Leftists at USMB are tap dancing in the streets like Jihadists on 9/11 over America's economic decline under Obama. It's like they live in some other country and haven't quite come to the understanding that this effects them as well.

which 'left' would that be Frank? the left just a tad right of Karl Marx?
CS is a conservative drone spammer here. Every time I log-on he's here typing away.

Let's trash the conservative black man.

Never let him be an example for black kids growing up in America.

Never let girls get any ideas that being a conservative is cool.

I see this shit for what it is. :cool:
Keeps the focus off of Weiner's dick
...and Obama's disastrous economy.

Why do cons use diversion as a debate tactic? :eusa_eh: Think no one will notice? You want to talk about those things? Fine. start your own threads. This thread is about West using the flag to appeal to his knee-jerk, repub base- "you" & the less educated undecided voters.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back