Well...Brave Browser it was nice knowing you...

This sounds like that commercial for Febreze, "I love you downstairs bathroom, but sometimes, you stink."

Is that any way to treat your downstairs bathroom? It's taken your crap for years and not said a word. As for browsers I use Firefox at work as it is generally the fastest. I would guess FF, Chrome, or Netscape Navigator would work fine.

Funny nobody uses IE or worse yet Edge which no one knows what it is.
You'd be surprised how many people use IE and Edge. No. I'm not one of them........

Microsoft lost the browser wars...IE and Edge combined is now only just over 7% marketshare globally...Chrome clobbers everyone else.
In the United States, Edge and IE combined are only 16% marketshare.
It used to be IE was the lionshare because the average person didn't even know what a browser was, not true today. And when they know - they virtually never choose IE
I know the market share percentages, 16% is around 46 million people in the US who use the internet, that's the point I was making.

Oh - and another interesting stat, the number one OS is still Windows 7.
From what I've read it was a recent uptick in Win 7 usage that bumped 7 up over 10 and that Win 7 is still the most popular OS for gamers. Will the uptick hold? Grow? Or fall off again (as expected)? Most analysts believe it will shrink again and eventually fall of to maybe 29% by 2020. :dunno:

From what I've read it was a recent uptick in Win 7 usage that bumped 7 up over 10 and that Win 7 is still the most popular OS for gamers. Will the uptick hold? Grow? Or fall off again (as expected)? Most analysts believe it will shrink again and eventually fall of to maybe 29% by 2020. :dunno:

I can't imagine ANY gamer wanting an OS that updates whenever it wants, each time possibly screwing up something that makes a game(s) no longer work, or work improperly.
Gamers use PC's with specific mother boards, processors, after market video cards and hardware accelerators etc. It is not "if" but "when" would a Win 10 midnight upgrade come along and suddenly your video card won't work and you cannot roll back the upgrade...so go good luck getting that fixed.
I would imagine Dell and company are well aware of all of this and must be doing something to keep gaming PC's on a more static OS.

I tried to set up Brave. Wouldn't start at all.
What OS?

CP/M :rofl:

Windblows 8.
When I bought this laptop (Dell outlet) I also purchased a Windows 7 pro disc as the laptop had 8.1 installed. The very first thing I did when the laptop arrived was install Win 7. Eventually I allowed the Win 10 upgrade and kept it until the last fall upgrade when I could no longer completely block Cortana from running and put Linux Ubuntu on it. As of today only my gaming desktop has Win 7 and the wife's laptop has Win 10 (for the time being), oh and also the Lenovo 3 in 1 Yoga 2 has Win 10 (it's for sale......). My laptop and secondary desktop are both running Ubuntu.

I can't imagine ANY gamer wanting an OS that updates whenever it wants, each time possibly screwing up something that makes a game(s) no longer work, or work improperly.
Gamers use PC's with specific mother boards, processors, after market video cards and hardware accelerators etc. It is not "if" but "when" would a Win 10 midnight upgrade come along and suddenly your video card won't work and you cannot roll back the upgrade...so go good luck getting that fixed.
I would imagine Dell and company are well aware of all of this and must be doing something to keep gaming PC's on a more static OS.
I wonder how you fixed the gaming issue on Ubuntu or Mint.

I like W10. I sort of have my updates set to do when and as I want now. I have yet to have a problem. (knocks on wood)

It isn't up to Linux to "fix" gaming. They have no ability to do that. There has to be a valid commercial reason for game makers to port to Linux.
Valve has stated recently that they haven't given up on SteamOS, but it isn't up to them. It is up to gamers and what they buy.
Windows 10 has thrown a potential wrench in the PC gaming field. Obviously. And that is why gamers use Win7. But that cannot go on forever.
The only answer MS can have is to make a gaming OS, perhaps they will.
Linux has, and always did have a platform that can work very well in the gaming field, indeed better than Windows since it does not use half the resources of Windows...but why on earth would game makers port it to Linux with such tiny marketshare?
The OS's abilitiy has nothing to do with it.

I like W10. I sort of have my updates set to do when and as I want now. I have yet to have a problem. (knocks on wood)
I still miss the option "no updates", though.

I agree we should have that option. I do think we can work with it a bit more than we could when it first came out though.

Of course. Who doesn't?
MS is finally doing what they have wanted to do for years....control everything concerning the OS...you have little to no choice to change things you don't like.
For instance the data collection machine better known as "Cortona"...MS did not like that people found ways to disable it, so they would reverse the changes you made to YOUR computer...and then when that didn't work, they made it impossible to stop it.
It get's down to whose computer is it anyway?

Opera was the very best. And then......

It was made impossible to avoid updates.

Some sort of apparent vendetta caused some audio/video applications to be locked out.

Reluctantly.....back to Firefox which has its own problems. I hate to say it...really I do....that I now bounce between Firefox and Safari because some sites I regularly use don't work well with Firefox and, indeed, suggest when first opened that you "update" Firefox (I have the latest, updating often) or try a different browser,

Damn.

Of course. Who doesn't?
MS is finally doing what they have wanted to do for years....control everything concerning the OS...you have little to no choice to change things you don't like.
For instance the data collection machine better known as "Cortona"...MS did not like that people found ways to disable it, so they would reverse the changes you made to YOUR computer...and then when that didn't work, they made it impossible to stop it.

I never even notice Cortona anymore. I have it disabled.......though I realize I can bring it back up. At least I don't see it.
No different....well yes different........my Galaxy S8 phone has that STUPID Bixby. If I do manage to "disable" it, every time I get an update it enables it. That is much more annoying to me.

It isn't up to Linux to "fix" gaming. They have no ability to do that. There has to be a valid commercial reason for game makers to port to Linux.
Valve has stated recently that they haven't given up on SteamOS, but it isn't up to them. It is up to gamers and what they buy.
Windows 10 has thrown a potential wrench in the PC gaming field. Obviously. And that is why gamers use Win7. But that cannot go on forever.
The only answer MS can have is to make a gaming OS, perhaps they will.
Linux has, and always did have a platform that can work very well in the gaming field, indeed better than Windows since it does not use half the resources of Windows...but why on earth would game makers port it to Linux with such tiny marketshare?
The OS's abilitiy has nothing to do with it.
You missed my point. No matter for what reasons: Linux is not a proper gaming platform and Windows 10 with its gaming mode is better suited.
Developers are still lazy ducks. Mantle, that gave birth to Dx12, is way faster than prior versions of Direct X. But new games that support Dx12 are not becoming more common, but the opposite. But Dx 12 could actually be a reason to "upgrade" to Win10, because MS excludes older versions of Windows.

I agree we should have that option. I do think we can work with it a bit more than we could when it first came out though.
I am using the LTSB Edition and still there is no option to disable updates. I can disable them with "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" but Windows still tries to address Micrososft´s update servers. I also lay a firewall over the system, Windows cannot even adjust my system time. And when I want updates, I load them from the catalog and they include no inept "feature updates".

I am using the LTSB Edition and still there is no option to disable updates. I can disable them with "Ultimate Windows Tweaker" but Windows still tries to address Micrososft´s update servers. I also lay a firewall over the system, Windows cannot even adjust my system time. And when I want updates, I load them from the catalog and they include no inept "feature updates".

Correct. There is no actual option to disable. (I have never done that anyhow). But, you can play with the times for updates, and it will change things around for you. Last time I got any updates I went in and got them myself. It did not auto.

Of course. Who doesn't?
Indeed. Respect for the user is actually low. That´s why I prefer the LTSB. It is up to date regarding security but the system doesn´t change.

Opera was the very best. And then......

It was made impossible to avoid updates.

Some sort of apparent vendetta caused some audio/video applications to be locked out.

Reluctantly.....back to Firefox which has its own problems. I hate to say it...really I do....that I now bounce between Firefox and Safari because some sites I regularly use don't work well with Firefox and, indeed, suggest when first opened that you "update" Firefox (I have the latest, updating often) or try a different browser,

Damn.
Firewall the opera_autoupdate.exe or remove/rename it.

Of course. Who doesn't?

I never even notice Cortona anymore. I have it disabled.......though I realize I can bring it back up. At least I don't see it.
No different....well yes different........my Galaxy S8 phone has that STUPID Bixby. If I do manage to "disable" it, every time I get an update it enables it. That is much more annoying to me.

Sorry kat buy you don't have Cortona disabled. It now runs mostly in the background collecting everything you do.
Don't believe me?
Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete...then click Task Manager....if it shows "fewer details" on the bottom, click "more details"...now organize the processes running by name...and whalaaa....there she is, most likely running at least 3 processes.

Forum List

Back