Welfare equivalent to $50,000 a year job in many states

Lisa558

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2021
Why would anyone work?

A young woman on welfare with two children is the equivalent of a $50,000 a year job - and that’s before you consider commuting costs. If she has three children, her TANF and food stamps and “earned” (cough-cough) income credit reach $60,000.

Now consider that many welfare types live with extended families, so that the young woman with two children is living with her own mother, who still has a teenager at home, and they get the equivalent of another $40,000 a year. So a family with two adults, a teen, and two kids gets nearly $100,000 a year.

Now consider the typical family, headed by two high school graduates. Mom works In a support role in an accounting firm for $20 an hour, and Dad works the deli counter at Harris Teeter for $22 an hour. Together, they bring in $80,000 - BEFORE taxes.

No wonder we have a labor shortage.

Around 45 million are on the EBT.....That's were all the frozen crab legs are going.
I know someone on welfare now has so much OPM flowing in that she is now shopping at Whole Foods. The middle class is being crushed and is now moving down to Walmart.

The positions have reversed. People on welfare now have so much more disposable income that they live better than the working class. This is all by Democrat design: they want people to refuse to work (hence the labor shortage) as a way of crushing the economy. They are following Marx to a tee.

I know someone on welfare now has so much OPM flowing in that she is now shopping at Whole Foods. The middle class is being crushed and is now moving down to Walmart.

The positions have reversed. People on welfare now have so much more disposable income that they live better than the working class. This is all by Democrat design: they want people to refuse to work (hence the labor shortage) as a way of crushing the economy. They are following Marx to a tee.

Yep, our local butcher said a good half of the purchases are made by EBT.....And their stuff is high end.

Why would anyone work?

A young woman on welfare with two children is the equivalent of a $50,000 a year job - and that’s before you consider commuting costs. If she has three children, her TANF and food stamps and “earned” (cough-cough) income credit reach $60,000.

Now consider that many welfare types live with extended families, so that the young woman with two children is living with her own mother, who still has a teenager at home, and they get the equivalent of another $40,000 a year. So a family with two adults, a teen, and two kids gets nearly $100,000 a year.

Now consider the typical family, headed by two high school graduates. Mom works In a support role in an accounting firm for $20 an hour, and Dad works the deli counter at Harris Teeter for $22 an hour. Together, they bring in $80,000 - BEFORE taxes.

No wonder we have a labor shortage.
So you think the poor are getting a sweet ride?

And you say you have a graduate degree?

Wow.

I've been thinking one of those Chinese super-fish-sucker ships snuck up there and sucked 'em all up.

Be interesting to know if there's an abundance of king crab legs in China right now.

I've been thinking one of those Chinese super-fish-sucker ships snuck up there and sucked 'em all up.

Be interesting to know if there's an abundance of king crab legs in China right now.
Nope, when Walmart gets them in they put them in the frozen "bunker" at night whilst closed.....The EBT crowd hits them at 0600 when they open.....Not sure if King or Snow crabs....Maybe both as I see both stickers on the mostly empty bunker.

How does one apply for welfare? What are the prerequisites for getting it?
i have no idea. I’ve always worked and supported myself.

But isn’t your question irrelevant? The point of the thread, and the supporting link, is that government handouts are so generous that the average worker earning $50,000 doesn’t have as nice a life.

i have no idea. I’ve always worked and supported myself.

But isn’t your question irrelevant? The point of the thread, and the supporting link, is that government handouts are so generous that the average worker earning $50,000 doesn’t have as nice a life.
My point is, that if one does not know
how welfare works and how one is approved for it, one gets the idea that people who do not need temporary help, get it anyway. That would be unfair. But it is not what welfare is, and it is not how it works.

If your salary is less than $60,000 a year, I can understand why.
One of our vendors quit his job making 80K a year when his wife died. Between life insurance and welfare(has 4 kids), he was set for the rest of his life. He is around 40.

My point is, that if one does not how welfare works and how one is approved for it, one gets the idea that people who do not need temporary help, get it anyway. That would be unfair. But it is not what welfare is, and it is not how it works.
You’re deflecting. The point is that obviously people DO know how to get welfare. Liberals have set up “classes” to guide them through it.

No able-bodied adult should be getting rent subsidies, food stamps, cash payments, etc., when job are going begging at $20 an hour, and they refuse to work. Clearly, they’ve run the numbers and see that they’re can live a lower-middle class life either 1) working or 2) using other people’s money.

They are choosing the latter, and we should not be giving them that option.

One of our vendors quit his job making 80K a year when his wife died. Between life insurance and welfare(has 4 kids), he was set for the rest of his life. He is around 40.
I could tell plenty of stories too. A woman I know with multiple kids and on all sorts of welfare - no job of course, and has NEVER had a job - goes out to eat at nice restaurants at least twice a week.

I, otoh, am tightening my belt amid the rampant inflation - and dive in the stock market - and maybe treat myself to IHOP once a week.

You’re deflecting. The point is that obviously people DO know how to get welfare. Liberals have set up “classes” to guide them through it.

No able-bodied adult should be getting rent subsidies, food stamps, cash payments, etc., when job are going begging at $20 an hour, and they refuse to work. Clearly, they’ve run the numbers and see that they’re can live a lower-middle class life either 1) working or 2) using other people’s money.

1). I am reading Republican talking Points.

2) The government is very strict as to who can get help.

These are who is allowed to apply for Welfare.

People who really do not want to work, is one thing. And they cannot receive welfare for the rest of their lives.

It is one thing to want to change how Welfare works, and stop giving money to those who do not need, deserve it, but it is another thing to want to stop Welfare for all, as so many Republicans keep saying.

Republicans have the House come January. Let us see what bills they introduce to fix any of this.

If you do believe that this woman is receiving welfare unfairly, you may report her and have them investigate. I do not know what her situation is, the Welfare dept. around where she lives should have all the information on her.

The labor shortage is due to the fact that companies don’t want to pay liveable wages.
True….thanks for affirming the premise of the OP.
The job creators / private sector can not compete with Father Government.
The fix is obvious…..import more thirdworld filth from Mexico.

TANF is limited and has return to work stipulations with a lifetime cap. Rent subsidies are extremely limited with far fewer subsidies than applicants.

Your are being overly simplistic.

And the data doesn’t back up your assertion. Labor force participation rate for prime are workers is within half a point of the maximum under Trump and about two percentage points from the all time high in 2000.

True….thanks for affirming the premise of the OP.
The job creators / private sector can not compete with Father Government.
The fix is obvious…..import more thirdworld filth from Mexico.
The OP is blaming welfare recipients, not companies who won’t pay a decent wage. If companies weren’t so greedy, there would no labor shortage.

Forum List

Back