Wealth inequality-how it affects the economy

I will admit to not reading the entire thread here but I would like to add a few things. To the OP, I would agree that the distribution of wealth is a big issue as is the falling place of small business. There are a few reasons that I would peg this on. First, top wage earners are taxed, NOT the wealthy. While this looks the same at first that is not entirely true. There is a difference between accumulated wealth and income/gains taxes. That said, I am unsure of a way to effect the transfer of wealth back to the middle class that does not involve some sort of confiscatory 'redistribution of wealth' strategy. That concept does not work and I cannot support such a move. Wealth cannot be redistributed by the government effectively and leads to grater issues than already faced.

As to the loss of small business, that has two major sources. I know I will be attacked by the liberals here for this but regulation plays a MAJOR role in this respect. The grater the regulation the grater the cost of operation. There is a balancing act that many business accomplish between bureaucracy and purchasing power. Purchasing power allows larger business to accumulate their goods at reduced prices and that should in theory give them an advantage against their smaller counterparts in price. However, there is an offsetting process in bureaucracy that helps mitigate this fact. The larger a business grows the grater bureaucracy it must maintain and that is far from cheap. Should a business grow to large to fast, the bureaucracy will collapse the business under its weight. Unfortunately, regulation curves the cost of small businesses up also and this effect is mitigated by the size and scope of a large corporation. In this manner, regulation is quite harmful. The new bank bill is a good example as the new requirement in it are likely to decrease small bank lending because the process is more expensive. Personally, I believe that the government should require that all products it purchases are American products and that foreign goods are taxed appropriately for competition not to mention all the regulation reform that is needed. That would tip the balance back in favor of the small business.

The other point I would like to make is that corporations taking over for small business is also a natural thing to occur at this time due to technology. Back in the day a company would actually have to send you mail in order to advertise and getting you goods was expensive and cumbersome. With computers and the internet, everything was reduced in size and you could purchase across the world instantly. This has allowed BB to succeed in supplanting a small business because, even when there is no Wal-Mart whatsoever, you are able to order from large businesses anywhere in the world. That reduces the size of bureaucratic oversight and other mitigating expenses. In the 50's, there was a lot of work associated with country wide sales let alone international sales. Today, a single person working out of their mothers basement can distribute to a clientele from here to china without any issues. That creates much of the problems we have today in the unequal distribution of wealth as we have not caught up to the change in technology. I honestly am unsure of how to combat these things in a free system though and never forget, our system MUST remain free.

I will admit to not reading the entire thread here but I would like to add a few things. To the OP, I would agree that the distribution of wealth is a big issue as is the falling place of small business. There are a few reasons that I would peg this on. First, top wage earners are taxed, NOT the wealthy. While this looks the same at first that is not entirely true. There is a difference between accumulated wealth and income/gains taxes. That said, I am unsure of a way to effect the transfer of wealth back to the middle class that does not involve some sort of confiscatory 'redistribution of wealth' strategy. That concept does not work and I cannot support such a move. Wealth cannot be redistributed by the government effectively and leads to grater issues than already faced.

As to the loss of small business, that has two major sources. I know I will be attacked by the liberals here for this but regulation plays a MAJOR role in this respect. The grater the regulation the grater the cost of operation. There is a balancing act that many business accomplish between bureaucracy and purchasing power. Purchasing power allows larger business to accumulate their goods at reduced prices and that should in theory give them an advantage against their smaller counterparts in price. However, there is an offsetting process in bureaucracy that helps mitigate this fact. The larger a business grows the grater bureaucracy it must maintain and that is far from cheap. Should a business grow to large to fast, the bureaucracy will collapse the business under its weight. Unfortunately, regulation curves the cost of small businesses up also and this effect is mitigated by the size and scope of a large corporation. In this manner, regulation is quite harmful. The new bank bill is a good example as the new requirement in it are likely to decrease small bank lending because the process is more expensive. Personally, I believe that the government should require that all products it purchases are American products and that foreign goods are taxed appropriately for competition not to mention all the regulation reform that is needed. That would tip the balance back in favor of the small business.

The other point I would like to make is that corporations taking over for small business is also a natural thing to occur at this time due to technology. Back in the day a company would actually have to send you mail in order to advertise and getting you goods was expensive and cumbersome. With computers and the internet, everything was reduced in size and you could purchase across the world instantly. This has allowed BB to succeed in supplanting a small business because, even when there is no Wal-Mart whatsoever, you are able to order from large businesses anywhere in the world. That reduces the size of bureaucratic oversight and other mitigating expenses. In the 50's, there was a lot of work associated with country wide sales let alone international sales. Today, a single person working out of their mothers basement can distribute to a clientele from here to china without any issues. That creates much of the problems we have today in the unequal distribution of wealth as we have not caught up to the change in technology. I honestly am unsure of how to combat these things in a free system though and never forget, our system MUST remain free.

I really appreciate your thoughtful observations, and much of it is true. However, I think there are tax breaks and incentives to keep small businesses alive, such as inventory depreciation, deductions for employee costs, and the myriad other business writeoffs not made available to individuals. I also believe that most of the regulating and licensing of small businesses come from state mandates, not federal. But my biggest question would be if there are so many deterents for small businesses to exist, one should presume that most cannot succeed, and yet we continue to hear the mantra that "most employment comes from small businesses." Does it or doesn't it? Personally, I don't think it does.

It's "Cayman"
Any proof or just talking out of your ass? Again.

Take a look at your avatar and your sig line.....who's talking out their ass? <excuse my language, I'll put another quarter in the cuss jar>

I did admit I didn't know the spelling. And while I can't post the proof, I know it to be true. My sister and her husband have visited the Caymen Islands and talked to the people there. Many, many businesses list the Caymens as their home office to avoid taxes, do you really think rich people don't do the same thing? I also have read some reports, though I'm not going looking for them now. I have better things to do with my live than prove myself to you. You either believe me, or you don't...it's pretty obvious you don't. I don't care.

Ok. So no, you have no proof. You are merely talking out of your ass about things you know nothing about but see them in People magazine so assume they must be true.

Guess anybody who thinks that the Cayman islands are a haven for tax dodges must be nuts.

Like for example, the CAYMAN banks adverstising themselves as such.

Honestly Rab, don't you ever get tired of being so obviously wrong?

<H2 class=hd>Search Results
  1. Cayman Offshore Bank Account | Swiss Private Banking Accounts ...

We offer more than just a Cayman Islands Bank Account, we offer: asset protection - offshore bank accounts - a private Swiss bank account - wealth ...
    Private Banking - Channel Islands - Gibraltar - Canada
    www.caymanbankingservices.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cayman Islands are a major international financial centre. The biggest sectors are "banking, hedge fund formation and investment, structured finance and ...
History - Geography - Demographics - Economy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>How to Open a Bank Account in the Cayman Islands - wikiHow

Jan 30, 2010 ... If you are certain a Cayman bank account (as opposed to a Cayman investment account) is what you are looking for, find a Cayman Islands Bank ...
www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Bank-Account-in-the-Cayman-Islands - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman National Bank

We are strategically located throughout the Cayman Islands as well as internationally with experienced staff who have offered full service banking and ...
www.caymannational.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands - Tax Havens Resources, Services & Banking

Tax Haven Resources Services & Banking for the Cayman Islands ... Banking & Trusts in the Cayman Islands - There are currently over 560 banks and trust ...
www.escapeartist.com/cayman/taxhavens.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Banking

Apr 8, 2008 ... Cayman Islands Banking delivers details on Grand Cayman banks and Cayman banking resources plus Cayman financial services, off shore Cayman ...
www.caymanislandsbanking.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>frontline: tax me if you can: uncovering schemes: haven or havoc ...

Feb 19, 2004 ... A look at why the Cayman Islands has been called a tax haven, ... Cayman's bank privacy laws and the lack of income taxes attract not only ...
www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/tax/.../cayman.html - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Butterfield

Cayman Islands ... Internet Banking. Access your account 24/7. Log on to your account · Learn More · Q1 2010 Results · Butterfield Cayman Q1 Results ...
www.ky.butterfieldgroup.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Banking - Create an Offshore Account - Cayman ...

Complete guide to Cayman Islands Banking. SAVE at CNB - Cayman National Bank. Simple Instruction to Create Your Own Cayman Islands Bank Account at CNB.
www.caymanactivityguide.com/Banking.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Law of Offshore

Cayman Islands banks need to be licensed under the Banks and Trust Companies Law (2009 Revision) (formerly the Banks and Trust Companies Law 1995, ...
www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/jcaolaw.html - Cached - Similar
</H2>

Take a look at your avatar and your sig line.....who's talking out their ass? <excuse my language, I'll put another quarter in the cuss jar>

I did admit I didn't know the spelling. And while I can't post the proof, I know it to be true. My sister and her husband have visited the Caymen Islands and talked to the people there. Many, many businesses list the Caymens as their home office to avoid taxes, do you really think rich people don't do the same thing? I also have read some reports, though I'm not going looking for them now. I have better things to do with my live than prove myself to you. You either believe me, or you don't...it's pretty obvious you don't. I don't care.

Ok. So no, you have no proof. You are merely talking out of your ass about things you know nothing about but see them in People magazine so assume they must be true.

Guess anybody who thinks that the Cayman islands are a haven for tax dodges must be nuts.

<H2 class=hd>Search Results
  1. Cayman Offshore Bank Account | Swiss Private Banking Accounts ...

We offer more than just a Cayman Islands Bank Account, we offer: asset protection - offshore bank accounts - a private Swiss bank account - wealth ...
    Private Banking - Channel Islands - Gibraltar - Canada
    www.caymanbankingservices.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Cayman Islands are a major international financial centre. The biggest sectors are "banking, hedge fund formation and investment, structured finance and ...
History - Geography - Demographics - Economy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cayman_Islands - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>How to Open a Bank Account in the Cayman Islands - wikiHow

Jan 30, 2010 ... If you are certain a Cayman bank account (as opposed to a Cayman investment account) is what you are looking for, find a Cayman Islands Bank ...
www.wikihow.com/Open-a-Bank-Account-in-the-Cayman-Islands - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman National Bank

We are strategically located throughout the Cayman Islands as well as internationally with experienced staff who have offered full service banking and ...
www.caymannational.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands - Tax Havens Resources, Services & Banking

Tax Haven Resources Services & Banking for the Cayman Islands ... Banking & Trusts in the Cayman Islands - There are currently over 560 banks and trust ...
www.escapeartist.com/cayman/taxhavens.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Banking

Apr 8, 2008 ... Cayman Islands Banking delivers details on Grand Cayman banks and Cayman banking resources plus Cayman financial services, off shore Cayman ...
www.caymanislandsbanking.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>frontline: tax me if you can: uncovering schemes: haven or havoc ...

Feb 19, 2004 ... A look at why the Cayman Islands has been called a tax haven, ... Cayman's bank privacy laws and the lack of income taxes attract not only ...
www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/tax/.../cayman.html - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Butterfield

Cayman Islands ... Internet Banking. Access your account 24/7. Log on to your account · Learn More · Q1 2010 Results · Butterfield Cayman Q1 Results ...
www.ky.butterfieldgroup.com/ - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Banking - Create an Offshore Account - Cayman ...

Complete guide to Cayman Islands Banking. SAVE at CNB - Cayman National Bank. Simple Instruction to Create Your Own Cayman Islands Bank Account at CNB.
www.caymanactivityguide.com/Banking.htm - Cached - Similar
<LI class=g>Cayman Islands Law of Offshore

Cayman Islands banks need to be licensed under the Banks and Trust Companies Law (2009 Revision) (formerly the Banks and Trust Companies Law 1995, ...
www.lowtax.net/lowtax/html/jcaolaw.html - Cached - Similar
</H2>

I saw a documentary once, a long time ago, and the only part that has stuck in my mind was the cameras that went into this big hotel lobby somewhere in the Caymens and there were all these small metal desks set up with a simple cardboard sign designating which U.S. bank the person sitting behind the desk could transfer money from into private, non-traceable accounts. (They also accepted cash. :lol:)

I saw a documentary once, a long time ago, and the only part that has stuck in my mind was the cameras that went into this big hotel lobby somewhere in the Caymens and there were all these small metal desks set up with a simple cardboard sign designating which U.S. bank the person sitting behind the desk could transfer money from into private, non-traceable accounts. (They also accepted cash. :lol:)

Sweet! :lol:

Do you ever get tired of having your head up your ass?
The contention was not that some banks in the Cayman Islands accept money that is hiddne from the government. That is obvious. What was maintained was:
They already do keep their money in overseas bank accounts...what you think the wealthy trust the dollar? Not a chance. The Caimen (sp?) islands is where most of them keep their money now a days.
Meaning that every wealthy person in the U.S. has an off shore bank account. That is simply false, not to mention an absurd generalization.
I'll accept your apology.

I really appreciate your thoughtful observations, and much of it is true. However, I think there are tax breaks and incentives to keep small businesses alive, such as inventory depreciation, deductions for employee costs, and the myriad other business writeoffs not made available to individuals. I also believe that most of the regulating and licensing of small businesses come from state mandates, not federal. But my biggest question would be if there are so many deterents for small businesses to exist, one should presume that most cannot succeed, and yet we continue to hear the mantra that "most employment comes from small businesses." Does it or doesn't it? Personally, I don't think it does.
I am not sure if small business really does the hefty portion of the hiring or not. There are tax breaks that help small business but those same tax breaks help large business just as much if not more as they can afford to exploit those breaks better. The disparity is over the fact that other factors favor large buisness more and that I belive our econimy is better served through small buisness rather than large ones so there should be more encouragment for small buisness. There are no doubt many regulations that are placed on buisnesses by the local state and city but there are also many that are placed by bureaucratic federal agencies such as the FAA, FDA and OSHA. Those are the real travesties as they create broad reaching and devistating regulation without even so much as a hint of democratic vote. Thos agencies are killing our small buisness and destroying the middle class in turn.

Even with all these deterrents to small biasness some exist for 2 reasons. The first is what I went over in the first post so I will not rehash it here. Basically, large bureaucratic management is a larger cost than you may think as well as making the company slow to respond to the market. The other is plain old American ingenuity and aspiration. The fact remains that the beast most can look forward to as for a career in the corporate world is to attain mediocrity. The true place to excel (and get rich) is in owning your own business. Even with many of those hurtles that are put in place there exists strong aspirations in some Americans to succeed in a financial way and a small biasness is almost the only way to go.

The reason that I say small business is better for our economy than larger ones is that small business is where the upper middle class and the rich are made. Large biasness tends to create far fewer rich and also creates the uber rich, those that have exceeded all reason and become so rich it is no longer needed. There needs to be large business but the backbone should always lie with small business.

Anybody heard of Stanford. These offshore banks are not insured like ours. I'd agree with criminals putting money offshore but no where near a majority of upper class rich however you describe it.

The reason income inequality has grown is because the power of corporations have increased exponentially. The rise of computer systems, illegal immigrants, outsourcing, a poor public school system, and decaying morals that come with corporate culture have created a world where economic prospects are dwindling all of the time.

Companies like Wal mart have gotten so big that they by themselves are able to negotiate special lower prices with businesses. The result being that Wal mart has a better deal on a particular good than any other company. They are able to force businesses out of the market because wal mart has grown so big that if your product isn't in their stores its not accessible to most Americans.

We have allowed monopolies to exist, and we have done nothing about them. When a wal mart store unionizes, they close the store. Their super centers have surveillance teams whose job it is to detect employees that might try to form a union so that they can be fired. When a single company grows so big that they can impose their will on the greater part of the rest of the market, they are a dangerous monopoly.

Every year two million people come into this country, one million legally, and another illegally (probably not so many now, I havn't checked in awhile). The constant influx of immigrants keeps wages low. Immigration is a touchy subject in this country, but the fact of the matter is that when there are so few jobs per person that employers wield nearly limitless power over their employees. It has not become a matter of whether or not you are willing to work hard, its are you willing to work hard and are you able to do a better job than the next guy?

We have outsourced much of our workforce, allowing corporations to make record breaking profits every single year. How were the workers whose jobs were lost compensated? Taxes need to exist specifically for all the money that is made by outsourcing labor, and the money needs to be used specifically to create opportunities for anyone willing to work. When it comes down to it if there is no work, work has to be created. For every one percent unemployment there is a two percent loss in GDP.

The answer to income inequality is to make a public sector job system that is willing to employee anyone who is willing to work. This job system will force the private sector to offer competitive compensation packages. If a job is worth doing its worth paying someone to do, and its worth paying them enough that they don't have to exist as a wage slave. Any other kind of job shouldn't be done.

To summarize: Modern corporations have near limitless power to exert their influence over workers, particularly low skilled workers, and push wages downward.

Last edited:
Cracks me up that the anti corp whiners aren't rich.

I don't dispute much that is rolled out about thier power, but instead of whining I buy their stocks. If you have that much certainty riches are easy.

The answer to income inequality is to make a public sector job system that is willing to employee anyone who is willing to work. This job system will force the private sector to offer competitive compensation packages. If a job is worth doing its worth paying someone to do, and its worth paying them enough that they don't have to exist as a wage slave. Any other kind of job shouldn't be done.
WOW... just wow. Offering MORE inefficiency into the system through more tax sucking public sector jobs is NEVER the answer.

The truly GREAT part about this bullshit is that the SAME people that advocate this crap are constantly complaining about DOD expenditures. If only they would realize that the DOD is the LARGEST public sector job market. But I guess that does not count.

Good analysis Zaburo. I would only add that I think a major mistake cities make by allowing big boxes like WalMart access to their consumers is they too see dollar signs by way of an increased tax base, not recognizing that within a short period of time, WalMart will push small businesses out (which also pay local taxes). Eventually, it becomes a wash but only after those small retailers are forced to fold.

Good analysis Zaburo. I would only add that I think a major mistake cities make by allowing big boxes like WalMart access to their consumers is they too see dollar signs by way of an increased tax base, not recognizing that within a short period of time, WalMart will push small businesses out (which also pay local taxes). Eventually, it becomes a wash but only after those small retailers are forced to fold.

Actually a study showed that there were MORE small retailers after WM opened than before.
But stick with the party line. Never mind the evidence.

Actually a study showed that there were MORE small retailers after WM opened than before.

You have evidence? Then post it, asshole. City by city; town by town.

I would second that request. I actually feel that Wal-Mart IS NOT harmful to a local community but there are other reasons that I feel that way. I have lived in small towns and watched some of those supposed mom and pops go out of business and I have noticed a trend with those that fail - they suck. Small business can succeed near a Wal-Mart, they just need to offer something Wal-Mart does not. It is not that hard - customer service is a good place to start as Wal-Mart has none at all. If you have not noticed, ACE hardware exists as a small retail chain next to Home Depot not because they offer better prices but because they offer better service. There will be those that go out of business but there will be others that are strengthened and in the end it is the CUSTOMER that wins out the best. That is the ENTIRE purpose for free enterprise and competition.

[...]
Bill and Hillary Clinton like to vacation in the Caymans.

Where I live there are no small retailers. Every retail outlet is part of a chain. Almost every store in general is part of a chain. We have almost no stores/outlets/restaurants that are actually unique unless you go to our downtown area, which many avoid because its crowded/dangerous.

If you count a guy peddling goods out of his garage, and vending machines, I'm sure there are many more small retailers today than there were in the past. Except for the guys that sell stuff off of kiosks at the mall, I have never seen a clothes retailer that wasn't part of a chain.

Last edited:

You have evidence? Then post it, asshole. City by city; town by town.

It must really suck to be ignorant and stupid, like you.
walmartstores.com/download/3078.pdf
Study by the Cato Institute.
Cue squalling about "right wing think tank" and "corporate shills."

Forum List

Back