Weakening Dodd/Frank and Re-Instituting Too Big To Fail

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
The GOP led House can compromise when it is in the best interests of the party donors. They can get some things done. They put forth a workable compromise in the new massive spending bill. They first proposed gutting most of the key provisions of Dodd/Frank, and as a compromise for getting a bill out of the House and not allowing another government shut down, they met Democrats in the -- ahem -- middle allowing the bill to go before the Senate, before it could go to President Obama's desk for his signature.

Obama as he's always claimed, is on board with any compromise that he doesn't believe has a poison pill or purely partisan agenda: "The president summed up his approach Friday when he acknowledged there were parts of the massive spending measure he 'really [did] not like,' but said it was the best deal on the table.

'Overall, this legislation allows us to build on the economic progress and the national security progress that's important,' Obama told reporters. 'Had I been able to draft my own legislation and get it passed without any Republican votes, I suspect that it would be slightly different. That's not the circumstance we find ourselves in.'"

President Obama Democrats face rift exposed by spending bill debate - LA Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If Dodd/Frank is so bad why did the banks and many conservatives spend the last 4 years doing everything in their power to weaken it? We even have conservatives like Paul H. Kupiec, who 'is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. He has also been a director of the Center for Financial Research at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and chairman of the Research Task Force of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision,' trying to convince us that Dodd/Frank is not what everyone else says it is.

Kupiec is maybe being purposefully disingenuous by using the phrase 'doesn’t end ‘too big to fail ’in place of addressing something like the fact that Barney Frank and others who wrote the bill, say taxpayer bailouts are illegal under Dodd/Frank.

Dodd-Frank doesn t end too big to fail TheHill

something else Kupiec wrote on Dodd/Frank: Paul H. Kupiec The Way Is Clear for Three Easy Dodd-Frank Fixes - WSJ to me it seems like Kupiec is a shill for the Financial sector

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Supporters of Dodd-Frank, including former Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) himself, have argued that the law makes taxpayer bailouts illegal and that investors in TBTF firms are wrong to think they would be protected by the government. But many investors appear to disagree with Frank and for good reasons."

"Repeal of a Dodd-Frank Act provision that requires..." Big Banking "to push out a portion of their derivatives business into subsidiaries."

"Big banks fought against its inclusion in the 2010 financial reform law and have been steadily fighting to repeal it ever since."

Why Citi May Soon Regret Its Big Victory on Capitol Hill - American Banker Article
"The House passed a massive $1.1 trillion spending plan. This action averted a government shutdown—a good thing. Less good was the fact that the bill also contained a provision, said to be written by Citigroup, repealing a key part of the Dodd-Frank Act. The provision enables the big banks once again to use insured deposits and other taxpayer subsidies and guarantees to gamble in the derivatives markets—the very type of business that drove the 2008 financial crisis and the economic devastation that followed."

other links: Obama signs 1.1 trillion spending bill into law | Jon Stewart goes through the list of random things in the spending bill is horrified - The Washington Post | and in other news one more reason Senator Ted Cruz is a phony idiot and unstable enough to be out of consideration for a Presidential candidacy

Democrats do what? Sign bills that they didn't read and then make propaganda about how the republicans forced them to do it?

Oh sure. So it was just politically expedient for democrats to overwhelming favor the passage of the bill in the senate only to turn about face and criticize it and republicans (not to mention the democrats that voted for it) in the house.

It's not lost on me at all. What is also not lost on me is how partisan fucks can't handle the truth and must make excuses for why their team isn't culpable in instances such as this one.

Remember when congress pass that insider trading act for themselves only to quietly repeal it later?

yeah, You'll be OK, Dainte. Not to worry.

:itsok:

Oh sure. So it was just politically expedient for democrats to overwhelming favor the passage of the bill in the senate only to turn about face and criticize it and republicans (not to mention the democrats that voted for it) in the house.

It's not lost on me at all. What is also not lost on me is how partisan fucks can't handle the truth and must make excuses for why their team isn't culpable in instances such as this one.

Remember when congress pass that insider trading act for themselves only to quietly repeal it later?

yeah, You'll be OK, Dainte. Not to worry.

:itsok:

when you stop emoting and have a few seconds of rational moments, try posting. otherwise you're just falling deeper into your neurosis

After the Meltdown and its associated damage, the fact that "too big to fail" still exists is an absolute travesty.

We clearly refuse to learn.

Appropriate look back. Also use the search feature on this site to see what people posted a few years back going back to at least 2014 on Dodd Frank

Dodd-Frank? Shit, we need Glass-Steagall.

The farther away we get from Bill Clinton's presidency, the less impressed I am by it.

Dodd-Frank? Shit, we need Glass-Steagall.

The farther away we get from Bill Clinton's presidency, the less impressed I am by it.

Clinton just happened to be POTUS when the global economy was hitting a major growth spurt so his "genius" was really just being in the driver's seat when Helen Keller couldn't even have driven the economy off a cliff.

The GOP led House can compromise when it is in the best interests of the party donors. They can get some things done. They put forth a workable compromise in the new massive spending bill. They first proposed gutting most of the key provisions of Dodd/Frank, and as a compromise for getting a bill out of the House and not allowing another government shut down, they met Democrats in the -- ahem -- middle allowing the bill to go before the Senate, before it could go to President Obama's desk for his signature.

Obama as he's always claimed, is on board with any compromise that he doesn't believe has a poison pill or purely partisan agenda: "The president summed up his approach Friday when he acknowledged there were parts of the massive spending measure he 'really [did] not like,' but said it was the best deal on the table.

'Overall, this legislation allows us to build on the economic progress and the national security progress that's important,' Obama told reporters. 'Had I been able to draft my own legislation and get it passed without any Republican votes, I suspect that it would be slightly different. That's not the circumstance we find ourselves in.'"

President Obama Democrats face rift exposed by spending bill debate - LA Times

If Dodd/Frank is so bad why did the banks and many conservatives spend the last 4 years doing everything in their power to weaken it? We even have conservatives like Paul H. Kupiec, who 'is a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. He has also been a director of the Center for Financial Research at the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. and chairman of the Research Task Force of the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision,' trying to convince us that Dodd/Frank is not what everyone else says it is.

Kupiec is maybe being purposefully disingenuous by using the phrase 'doesn’t end ‘too big to fail ’in place of addressing something like the fact that Barney Frank and others who wrote the bill, say taxpayer bailouts are illegal under Dodd/Frank.

something else Kupiec wrote on Dodd/Frank: Paul H. Kupiec The Way Is Clear for Three Easy Dodd-Frank Fixes - WSJ to me it seems like Kupiec is a shill for the Financial sector

"Supporters of Dodd-Frank, including former Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) himself, have argued that the law makes taxpayer bailouts illegal and that investors in TBTF firms are wrong to think they would be protected by the government. But many investors appear to disagree with Frank and for good reasons."

"Repeal of a Dodd-Frank Act provision that requires..." Big Banking "to push out a portion of their derivatives business into subsidiaries."

"Big banks fought against its inclusion in the 2010 financial reform law and have been steadily fighting to repeal it ever since."

Why Citi May Soon Regret Its Big Victory on Capitol Hill - American Banker Article
"The House passed a massive $1.1 trillion spending plan. This action averted a government shutdown—a good thing. Less good was the fact that the bill also contained a provision, said to be written by Citigroup, repealing a key part of the Dodd-Frank Act. The provision enables the big banks once again to use insured deposits and other taxpayer subsidies and guarantees to gamble in the derivatives markets—the very type of business that drove the 2008 financial crisis and the economic devastation that followed."

other links: Obama signs 1.1 trillion spending bill into law | Jon Stewart goes through the list of random things in the spending bill is horrified - The Washington Post | and in other news one more reason Senator Ted Cruz is a phony idiot and unstable enough to be out of consideration for a Presidential candidacy
Dodd frank act allowed CEO of banks that were bailed out to keep their bonuses
Just a friend public service announcement

Forum List

Back