We use to teach our children

What "freedom" am I missing? I missed it. Please help me find it. Thank God I was free to lose it. Or not find it. Or maybe it's not even missing. Maybe my good fuking sense is gone and I am not really missing anything except my favorite tv show. Some cartoon from the 50 ties. About freedom. When everything was free, including the air.. in your tires at the gas o line station. Those were the days my friend.

Now days I am free to shoot my neighbor as long as I stood my ground. And I didn't like him to begin with.

Now days I can go without medical insurnace and, if injured, recieve the very best in emergency medical attention and it's......free.dom.

I can drink to my death, I am free to keep my dick hard for hours, or days. But then I have to seek some of that free medical attention. Or find a new partner for.... free. on the internet.

I am free to move, free to divorce, almost free to file bk. I can quit my job, go to school, and some of it might be free. What freedom am I missing.

I am not free to hit my wife, kids, dog or other livestock, unless I can prove I was standing my ground.

I am free to not pay my taxes, if I quit my job. Unless I have a back tax bill. That ain't free.

I am free to dick around on a message board and say stupid shit and the thought police won't be stopping buy. Unless I make threats to the wrong person. That's a problem. But it don't have to do with free.

So anyway. What freedom am I missing again?

How would you feel if you knew that your post went through a room somewhere in California so the government could search it for a potential terrorist threat to America before it appeared on this forum?

You seem to want a free lunch.

Ahem. You realize that the phrase "no such thing as a free lunch" originated like so many other great things through the actions of the City of Chicago. In the late 1880's the temperance movement convinced the city council to shut down all the taverns and bars in the city (the brothels stayed open, but that's another story). One enterprising alderman got an amendment through which exempted restaurants. He told the council that cutting off hard liquor should not interfere with honest citizens having a beer or wine with a meal.

The next day every bar in Chicago was open for business, with a sign at one end of the bar labelled "Free lunch". The proprietor made a sandwich (generally what he intended to eat for supper) placed it on a sheet of deli paper and secured it to the bar under the sign with a large kitchen knife. Everyone understood that he would throw out anyone who touched the sandwich. Thus the saying.

So originally no one attached any great cosmic significance to the saying, all that came later, usually by people who didn't know where the term originated. So hoist a glass to the barkeeps! There was no free lunch, but at least you still buy a drink. I'll take that trade-off any day.

whatever the caselaw is... IS the law of the land.

Sure it is. Right there in the Constitution is says..."unless a future judge feels differently". :doubt:

You're hopeless.

you didn't ask about it's permanency... and that's right.

they do get reversed...

plessy v ferguson gets displaced by brown v board of ed... and so on.

hopefully at some point citizens united will become displaced by judges that actually care about our system of government.

i think that's the point about the flexibility of the constitution.

thanks for proving the point.

You seriously want the Supreme court to overturn the First Amendment right to free speech?

I'm surprised that somebody in Owe Bama's administration hasn't outlawed this cartoon. A cartoon such as this could cause riots in Russia and our embassy burned and maybe Americans killed. I look for someone to speak about this on tv any day now.

Last edited:
you didn't ask about it's permanency... and that's right.

they do get reversed...

plessy v ferguson gets displaced by brown v board of ed...

i think that's the point about the flexibility of the constitution.

thanks for proving the point.

Got it. It's okay to pass unconstitutional laws that progressives want because eventually they will be overturned. If only!

Wow, just wow. Your ignorance regarding the Constitution is profound.

it's not unconstitutional if the court says it isn't.

i think that's the point. are you intentionally missing it?

yah...ok...we'll pretend that you know what you're talking about.

Oh, I see. So if the Courts say slavery is alright, despite the clear language of the 13th amendment, slavery magically becomes Constitutional?

You seem to want a free lunch.

Nope, just an education sysytem that does not make excuses decade after decade as to why it can't seem to do it's job. We've wasted 1.2 trillion dollars in the last 32 years on the dept of ed. and have gotten higher drop out rates, lower test scores and excuses that they need more money. Schools aren't donig any better now than they did without the DOE. It's time to stop throwing money down a shit hole.

It is not up to the DOE to ensure quality schools in your locality. Local government runs schools thru the school boards and are funded by your state.

If your schools are crappy it is due to so many R governors and legislatures years and years of neglect.

The DOE is in charge of making sure federal law is followed by the states. No state can establish an "Autistic School", for example, to warehouse them away from "normal" kids.

Educate yourself about schools. They are only going to drop more in quality with 34 states run by Republicans.

Regards from Rosie

Really, check out the link and see what it cost to make sure schools are following the rules. You might want to look at all the little extra expenses they are spending on while your at it. http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget13/13action.pdf

You don't spend tens of billions per year enforcing the rules.

Article 3 section 2 and Article 5.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.
This would seem to actually restrict the court from being the final say on law.

Without congressional intervention, or an amendment, the court is the final say.

No. The People are.

Bullshit.

Any of my kids would run circles around you in a discussion about freedom and our Constitution. And two of them are not that into Social Science as subject matter. They have all been educated in Florida public schools.

And.....the idea that public school curricula have been altered since president Obama took office is ridiculous.

So you are arguing that your children would argue better than you would? While the bar isn't that high, I am still a bit skeptical.

What? Are you trying in your lame way to lob an insult?

You are an imbecile. A polite one....but still an imbecile. Would you like some attention? I'll try......but you are so boring that it isn't even fun to mock you.

I have no objection to public schools for my 14 year old. Of course I do not live in the US. In the Czech Republic kids take tests and are sent to public schools according to their results. This has the advantage of more rigorous curricula for advanced students.

Probably more important, he is not subject to political correctness and silly liberal indoctrination as has become the trend in US public schools. If I lived in the US, I would certainly send him to private schools. I would not want my son to degenerate to the level so abundantly clear on boards like this.

It is due to the lack of indoctrination that people are pulling their kids out and into private or homeschooling.

No prayer, no Bible study, no creationism. The doctrinaire parents don't have public school kids.
As usual you have it exactly wrong.

Regards from Rosie

You know that President Obama has his kids in a private school as well as a large majority of Senators and Congress.
The people who can home school or send their kids to private school is because the public schools are not educating them,not religion.

Bullshit.

Any of my kids would run circles around you in a discussion about freedom and our Constitution. And two of them are not that into Social Science as subject matter. They have all been educated in Florida public schools.

And.....the idea that public school curricula have been altered since president Obama took office is ridiculous.

So you are arguing that your children would argue better than you would? While the bar isn't that high, I am still a bit skeptical.

You are an imbecile. A polite one....but still an imbecile. Would you like some attention? I'll try......but you are so boring that it isn't even fun to mock you.

Just stating facts. If you take them as insults, that's fine.

Fact is you can't run circles around someone in a discussion, I doubt your children can, though I hope for their sakes they learn.

Just stating facts. If you take them as insults, that's fine.

Fact is you can't run circles around someone in a discussion, I doubt your children can, though I hope for their sakes they learn.

Oh! You are brutal! Please stop! You are tearing me apart.

There are a few people here who can own me anytime they want. You ain't one of them. You are way, way down on the list. You should learn your place...it would lead to a more meaningful experience for you.

Nope, just an education sysytem that does not make excuses decade after decade as to why it can't seem to do it's job. We've wasted 1.2 trillion dollars in the last 32 years on the dept of ed. and have gotten higher drop out rates, lower test scores and excuses that they need more money. Schools aren't donig any better now than they did without the DOE. It's time to stop throwing money down a shit hole.

It is not up to the DOE to ensure quality schools in your locality. Local government runs schools thru the school boards and are funded by your state.

If your schools are crappy it is due to so many R governors and legislatures years and years of neglect.

The DOE is in charge of making sure federal law is followed by the states. No state can establish an "Autistic School", for example, to warehouse them away from "normal" kids.

Educate yourself about schools. They are only going to drop more in quality with 34 states run by Republicans.

Regards from Rosie

Really, check out the link and see what it cost to make sure schools are following the rules. You might want to look at all the little extra expenses they are spending on while your at it. http://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget13/13action.pdf

Doesn't change what I said. Classrooms are funded at the state level. Additional grant monies for disadvantaged or Indian children from the DOE have zilch to do with states creating crappy schools due to neglect.

Regards from Rosie

There are a few people here who can own me anytime they want. You ain't one of them. You are way, way down on the list. You should learn your place...it would lead to a more meaningful experience for you.

You lacking the wits to grasp that you were shredded doesn't alter the fact that you were pwned...

I'm just sayin...

I have no objection to public schools for my 14 year old. Of course I do not live in the US. In the Czech Republic kids take tests and are sent to public schools according to their results. This has the advantage of more rigorous curricula for advanced students.

Probably more important, he is not subject to political correctness and silly liberal indoctrination as has become the trend in US public schools. If I lived in the US, I would certainly send him to private schools. I would not want my son to degenerate to the level so abundantly clear on boards like this.

It is due to the lack of indoctrination that people are pulling their kids out and into private or homeschooling.

No prayer, no Bible study, no creationism. The doctrinaire parents don't have public school kids.
As usual you have it exactly wrong.

Regards from Rosie

You know that President Obama has his kids in a private school as well as a large majority of Senators and Congress.
The people who can home school or send their kids to private school is because the public schools are not educating them,not religion.

The majority of homeschooling occurs because of religion. The public schools did not struggle this much nor fall behind under Democratic governors and state legislatures -Chicago gangs being the exception.

Regards fromRosie

You lacking the wits to grasp that you were shredded doesn't alter the fact that you were pwned...

I'm just sayin...

Yeah. That is exactly what happened.

Regards from Rosie

Doesn't change what I said. Classrooms are funded at the state level. Additional grant monies for disadvantaged or Indian children from the DOE have zilch to do with states creating crappy schools due to neglect.

Regards from Rosie

Every school gets money from the feds, no it's not the majority of the money, but they get it and most have ropes attached to influence how the schools do business. My point is schools should be state funded and the DOE should go away, it does nothing to help and is a waste of resources.

BTW I'm disappointed you didn't respond to my last post to you on the courts.

I realize it seems like a waste but filling the gaps in schools with grants for the most neglected by the states is an honorable thing to fund. Feel free to disagree.

I overlooked that post....not on porpoise. I am finding it now and will reply in minutes.

Regards from Rosie

Tell me, is caselaw totally consistent or does it change?
How did the power to keep commerce regular, become the power to micormanage everything that may or may not enter commerce.

If judges used only the Constitution and the law to make decisions why aren't most cases in SCOTUS unanimous?

Because differing times present differing challenges. And the job of the SCOTUS is to interpret law presented to it....not to interpret law 100% unanimously.

Regards from Rosie

That's where you got it wrong, law is black and white, they're are not open to interpretation, a judge is there to apply law. A law applies to a situation or it doesn't, judges don't have the authority to legislate through interpretation, ligislation is reserved to congress or state legislatures. If judges didn't inject themselves into their decisions and only used the law they all should come to the same decision 99% of the time. Not be on the opposite side 99% of the time. That's why I have no respect for caselaw, too many individuals inserting their own idiology into the mix and in many cases ignoring actual law.

If you actually read the decision on Maobamacare written by Roberts, it was the biggest exercise in circular reasoning I've ever seen. I'm not a lawyer but I would love to publically debate him on that decision, I could rip him a new one.

Ok. Tilt your head to the side for a secand try to see it this way. SCOTUS takes on only cases of Constitutional import. When the cases become Constitutionally important.

When teens craved ads in the Sears and Roebuck catalog there was no need to rule on obscenity. When Hustler depicted full bore sex AND accused Jerry Falwell of incest with his mother....that's when it rose to the level of a Constitutional case. Seems it is free speech to call Falwell a mofo but explicit sex needs toning down due to community standards.

SCOTUS turns down more cases thanthey take. They hold up the law under examination to the Constitution and interpret the light shining thru from the Constitution thru the overlaying law and interpret the amount and quality of light that gets thru.

Figuratively, of course.

Given the subjectivity of determining the amount and quality of light that got thru.... .I.think it must be hard to have many lopsided decisions at all.

Ok, OK. Turn your head back. Neither of us wants it getting stuck that way.

Regards from Rosie

Last edited:
We interrupt this fantasy of no government intrusion into your lives to remind you that you have not yet purchased your mandatory health insurance through an approved government health insurance exchange from a government approved health insurance company, citizen! Failure to do so WILL be met with penalties!

Thank you. Carry on, my deluded friends.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back