We Shall Over Come

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Big D, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Student Group Offers Whites-Only Award
    University Student Group Offers Scholarship to Whites Only, Seeking to Protest Affirmative Action

BRISTOL, R.I. Feb. 15 — A student group at Roger Williams University is offering a new scholarship for which only white students are eligible, a move they say is designed to protest affirmative action.
    The application for the $50 award requires an essay on "why you are proud of your white heritage" and a recent picture to "confirm whiteness."

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20040215_744.html

2. AtlantaWalter

AtlantaWalter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Most excellent and good for them; it's about time!!!!!

Now, if they'll just start up a Nat'l Association for the Advancement of White People they will really be pushing the politically incorrect envelope.:clap1:

3. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Another one for the "Racism" thread...

4. AtlantaWalter

AtlantaWalter Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Negative sir, this is finally some decent affirmative action that is long over-due.

5. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I missed this thread and posted the same article (I deleted mine so as to not get repetitious).

I agree AW, Its about damn time this has happened. Bully... it has nothing to do with racism. Thats a ridiculous assertion.

This is nothing more than the flip side of the College Fund strictly for blacks. Why didn't I hear you crying racism in that instance?

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I don't think that the students involved in this believe that race determines anything or that whites are superior (i.e., the definition of racist) so this can't be racist. Is it racially motivated? Yes. Is it wrong? NO.

7. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If this is so racial, then you can blame the one's who started up, BLACK UNITED FUND, BLACK SCHOLORSHIPS...etc... You want to be equal, then there shouldn't be no funds strictly to one race, it should be for all!!!!! Why should I give to just Black united fund??? is this to help whites or any other than blacks? no!!!

Agree with Moi, and I agree nothing wrong with it! it's about time someone did something like this.

8. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Now I do disagree with preferential treatment based upon race. Its a little different here because unlike our two resident haters, these guys aren't claiming anything silly like white supremacy but just an equal playing field.

9. janeeng

janeeng Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    OCA, that's exactly what I am trying to say! IT ALL SHOULD BE EQUAL!!!!! Not just a ONE sided thing!

10. Big D

Big D Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.naawp.com/