We Need to Have School Choice Because Our Public Schools are Failing

Um I have been sounding this gong for a few years now. These evacuation circumstances are not at ALL "rare" and it is NOT the problem of the "public schools". You could disband every single public school today and you would still have this problem. It's a SOCIETY problem.
It's a special education problem. There is more mainstreaming than is sound policy. The opportunities of the average/normal nondisabled majority of children to learn have been compromised by placing severely troubled and cognitively handicapped children in their classrooms. I love those special education students; that is not the problem. They are pointed out as "special" for a reason, though, and until they are able to function at a reasonably normal level, they do not belong in the standard classroom. They were removed from their segregated classrooms because of poor teachers who did not expect the most of them. That is the teachers' fault, and our children should not be the victims of that.

Stop cu
Alethia got me started on this, lol, but my eyes have been opened as to how bad our public schools have become across the whole country.

Disruptive Students force teachers to evacuate classrooms

Oregon classrooms in crisis

New Jersey public schools in chaos

Green Bay Award Winning Teacher resigns due to safety concerns and describes

Teachers quitting due to chaos and violence

Georgia students cause teachers to quit
Why Teachers Quit? Student Behavior

Stop cutting third funding.

Um I have been sounding this gong for a few years now. These evacuation circumstances are not at ALL "rare" and it is NOT the problem of the "public schools". You could disband every single public school today and you would still have this problem. It's a SOCIETY problem.

Well, yes and no. Private schools do often seem to deal with it better, even if dealing with it, is just shit canning the fucked up kids, instead of letting them shit can the whole class.
Most kids in private schools have 2 parents at home. That`s the difference.

I humbly disagree, Sue. When I was in school in the 1970's, I was in private school and the religious brothers who ran the joint kept the place in order using violence and corporal punishment when needed.

OTOH, the local Government School were extraordinarily chaotic places when the children ran amok. A friend of mine who went to government school still has the switchblade that his dad insisted he bring to school each day. Kids getting shivved in the boys rooms was common

It's not the 70s anymore, idiot. Any adult who lays hands on a kid today is putting their career and even their freedom at risk.
And that is the heart of the problem Any adult who lays hands on a kid today is putting their career and even their freedom at risk even if it is in self defense

It's a special education problem. There is more mainstreaming than is sound policy. The opportunities of the average/normal nondisabled majority of children to learn have been compromised by placing severely troubled and cognitively handicapped children in their classrooms. I love those special education students; that is not the problem. They are pointed out as "special" for a reason, though, and until they are able to function at a reasonably normal level, they do not belong in the standard classroom. They were removed from their segregated classrooms because of poor teachers who did not expect the most of them. That is the teachers' fault, and our children should not be the victims of that.

You don't know shit about special education. Teachers do not solely make any determinations about placement of these students. .Those decisions are made by teachers, administrators, psychologists, the parents and even the students themselves. It is called an Individualized education Plan (IEP) for the non-educator know-nothings out there spouting bullshit! The parents have to sign off on it! our biggest struggle was getting them to show up for the meeting! They couldn't be bothered with Little Johnny's or Little Suzy's education

I'll bet you didn't know that placement in the least restrictive environment is a federal law.

I humbly disagree, Sue. When I was in school in the 1970's, I was in private school and the religious brothers who ran the joint kept the place in order using violence and corporal punishment when needed.

OTOH, the local Government School were extraordinarily chaotic places when the children ran amok. A friend of mine who went to government school still has the switchblade that his dad insisted he bring to school each day. Kids getting shivved in the boys rooms was common

It's not the 70s anymore, idiot. Any adult who lays hands on a kid today is putting their career and even their freedom at risk.
And that is the heart of the problem Any adult who lays hands on a kid today is putting their career and even their freedom at risk even if it is in self defense

A big reason for that is our parents and grandparents came here from the old country, and many of the oldtimers toiled in production and assembly line type work, so they wanted their children to do better. They realized that education was the key, but that education wasn't going to happen unless the teachers had the authority to perform it. Sometimes children need to have their heads pounded against the blackboard to bring home a point.

Alethia got me started on this, lol, but my eyes have been opened as to how bad our public schools have become across the whole country.

Trump is president...he appointed Besty Devos….she will fix public education, that is what she is there for....ain't she??

Corprations know best, not the people.

A big reason for that is our parents and grandparents came here from the old country, and many of the oldtimers toiled in production and assembly line type work, so they wanted their children to do better. They realized that education was the key, but that education wasn't going to happen unless the teachers had the authority to perform it. Sometimes children need to have their heads pounded against the blackboard to bring home a point.

Yeah, that is pretty much what we do, we socialize the next generation up for corporate state stoogery. They have to be beaten down into the notion that their role in this life is to bow to authority and to never think for themselves.

Trump is president...he appointed Besty Devos….she will fix public education, that is what she is there for....ain't she??

Actually, is up to the local Boards of Education across the Fruited Plain.

The Secretary of Education doesn't have control over the juvenile delinquents.

Yeah, that is pretty much what we do, we socialize the next generation up for corporate state stoogery. They have to be beaten down into the notion that their role in this life is to bow to authority and to never think for themselves.

Yeah that kindergartner who stabbed his teacher was literally sticking it to the man!

You don't know shit about special education. Teachers do not solely make any determinations about placement of these students. .Those decisions are made by teachers, administrators, psychologists, the parents and even the students themselves. It is called an Individualized education Plan (IEP) for the non-educator know-nothings out there spouting bullshit! The parents have to sign off on it! our biggest struggle was getting them to show up for the meeting! They couldn't be bothered with Little Johnny's or Little Suzy's education

I'll bet you didn't know that placement in the least restrictive environment is a federal law.
I'm very familiar with it. I'm a teacher. I've worked with the special little buggers and sat through plenty of IEP meetings. I'm not kidding when I say I love them; they have a special place in my heart. That doesn't change my mind, though.

How come you didn't fix the problem? You made it worse. We have become almost toally kiss azz to the students and many of the parents with the taxpayer skewered more and more. Some of that federal trillion dollar deficit right there. then the state and local bondage the taxpayers pay for comes into play.

Well, yes and no. Private schools do often seem to deal with it better, even if dealing with it, is just shit canning the fucked up kids, instead of letting them shit can the whole class.

The reason private schools seem to do better is because they did not have to abide by federal rules many if which were enacted due to this same violence in the schools.

I'm willing to believe that is part of it. To believe that is all of it, I would need to see some detailed comparisons.

The videos, if you watched them, mention kindergartners attacking teachers and other kids. How are the public schools responsible for that?

Not sure. But as I said, private schools seem to deal with it better, even if dealing with it, is just shit canning the fucked up kid, instead of letting them shitcan the whole class.
..because there are far less blacks at the private schools...they don't have to DEAL with as much crap in the first place
...and private schools have a higher graduation rate
The Condition of Education - Preprimary, Elementary, and Secondary Education - Elementary and Secondary Enrollment - Private School Enrollment - Indicator January (2018)
figure-cgc-5.png

15384764-large.png

https://www.mlive.com/resizer/HwtBe...zette/opinion_impact/photo/15384764-large.png

If that is all it is, the gap seems LESS than you would expect.

Most kids in private schools have 2 parents at home. That`s the difference.

My wife just had surgery, and for the last two weeks I have been doing everything.

People that try to have a family, by themselves, set themselves and their children up for failure.

We have school choice in California. It was great, as a parent, almost too many charter schools to choose from. After the hippy charter school experience my kid chose to attend the mainstream High School so she could do sports and band and be part of a large grade class, that was good too.

The videos, if you watched them, mention kindergartners attacking teachers and other kids. How are the public schools responsible for that?
To me, the only thing that the school authority figures should be responsible for is making sure that these problem children are not getting away with whatever it is that they are guilty of. If any kids cause big enough problems on the school properties, them kids should either be suspended or expelled or even arrested if their physical choice of action, should they be guilty of any, is violent or sexual enough. Of course right there is where it gets interesting because one person's level of severity is not going to mirror another person's level of severity.

God bless you and every school worker always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back