We need a new Law: If Congress doesn't pass Budget items on time they lose $$$

Do you support docking Congress, the Senate and the President during any budget related shutdowns?

• Yes, make them get their budgets done on time, or no pay

Votes: 12 100.0%
  • No, because "some people are more equal than others"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kyzr

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2009
The AL part of PA
AOC proposed a Law that Congress and the Senate (add the President?) don't get paid during a shutdown, because they didn't do their jobs on time.
I want to go one step further. They lose pay during a budget related shutdown, and do NOT get any money, they get docked pay.

If AOC actually proposed that, I’m shocked. It’s the first intelligent thing I have ever heard from her.

Get right to work on that because it takes a Constitutional Amendment to do that.
Why? What part of the Constitution says they still get paid even when their work isn't done?

You might run into con issues . Separation of powers . Rich pols , or prez could basically shakedown poor politicians .

The gov isn’t really “shut down”. It just ran out of money .

AOC proposed a Law that Congress and the Senate (add the President?) don't get paid during a shutdown, because they didn't do their jobs on time.
I want to go one step further. They lose pay during a budget related shutdown, and do NOT get any money, they get docked pay.
Most of these people are taking bribes on the side that makes their paycheck look like chicken feed, but your heart is in the right place.

Get right to work on that because it takes a Constitutional Amendment to do that.

Sad but true.

On the other hand, a few million angry people with torches, pitchforks, and tar n feathers in Washington D.C. might make them pay attention.

iu

Absolutely horrible idea. We already have enough of a problem with our reps acting in their own self interest ahead of those of their consitituents. We don't need even more incentive for them to do so.

Absolutely horrible idea. We already have enough of a problem with our reps acting in their own self interest ahead of those of their consitituents. We don't need even more incentive for them to do so.
Article V Convention of States could make it happen. Outlaw lobbying (aka bribery)

during the convention as well, and make taking bribes punishable by jail time.

Article V Convention of States could make it happen. Outlaw lobbying (aka bribery)

during the convention and make taking bribes punishable by jail tome.
True...a constitutional amendment can make just about anything happen...

You don't really understand how the machinations of our government work, huh?

Just make it illegal to allow the government to run out of money. Shut-downs are an irresponsible and ineffective political tactic that should never happen again.

Sure I do. I was adding to your comment.

Sounds good to me.

Sure I do. I was adding to your comment.

A convention of the states can make laws without dealing with Congress, that's what it's for. The Founding Fathers tried to set everything up to be idiot proof. Perhaps they had some foresight..

Why? What part of the Constitution says they still get paid even when their work isn't done?

Try reading it. That was a requirement in the government classes I taught. I am sometimes amazed that people have no idea what is in the Constitution.

Most of these people are taking bribes on the side that makes their paycheck look like chicken feed, but your heart is in the right place.
The sad thing is that those "bribes" are legal. They`re called campaign contributions.

Forum List

Back