We live in a great country, where the law protects our rights to due process and fair hearings

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
Today I stood trial for assault. A former employee made a false accusation, stemming from a meltdown she had that led to her being fired. I had no lawyer, and had to defend myself. Though it's insanely unlikely to have happened, the maximum sentence would have been 10 years. With no other witnesses it was her word against mine. But the burden was on the state, and not me. And this protection, to be required to be proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt before you can be convicted, is so vital to being able to have a free society.

America is not the only country to have freedom, nor the only country to protect it's people as such. Nonetheless, that we do makes this a great country. Through all the partisan arguing and bickering we sometimes forget to be grateful for those things that have become mundane facts in the background.

Congrats on getting away with assault ! You must be white !

I kid, I kid !

• Banned
Well, I kinda look white. I'm half white. And the accuser was black. The judge was white. The prosecutor was white. But I called a black witness. Another witness I called was white, but he's an African immigrant, so that kinda goes both ways, doesn't it? :dunno:

Today I stood trial for assault. A former employee made a false accusation, stemming from a meltdown she had that led to her being fired. I had no lawyer, and had to defend myself. Though it's insanely unlikely to have happened, the maximum sentence would have been 10 years. With no other witnesses it was her word against mine. But the burden was on the state, and not me. And this protection, to be required to be proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt before you can be convicted, is so vital to being able to have a free society.

America is not the only country to have freedom, nor the only country to protect it's people as such. Nonetheless, that we do makes this a great country. Through all the partisan arguing and bickering we sometimes forget to be grateful for those things that have become mundane facts in the background.

I knew that there was a nice guy in there somewhere:redface: ...Thank you for sharing such a personal story.

I am sorry that happened to you, and that dumb ass girl didn't destroy your life. People like her ruin the system for those who are truly hurt. That must have been so scary for you.

To tell you the truth I find humor with many of the members here , some can be so witty.
I am going through some medical crap and this forum detracts me.

upload_2015-11-19_18-24-50.jpeg

I am glad you were vindicated, Swim, and that you have such a grateful heart and shared your story.
We do live in a great country. I agree!

Congratulations Oh my heavens I cant even dream of what you went thru.

Bless your soul and everyone in your family and friends who stood by you.

Mega love to all of you and hoping to heal is gonna take some time.

Well, I kinda look white. I'm half white. And the accuser was black. The judge was white. The prosecutor was white. But I called a black witness. Another witness I called was white, but he's an African immigrant, so that kinda goes both ways, doesn't it? :dunno:

What you say is true - that as Americans, we have certain rights that make this country great. But no, it doesn't usually go both ways.

As long as blacks are gunned down by cops, no trial, no judge or jury - just cops executing people, we're not equal and we're not free.

Its simply fact that whites have more rights than non-whites. We all need to continue to work to change that.

Thanks for sharing.

• Banned

Thanks for your kind words. I'm quite glad my side of the ordeal is closed. It's had me under alot of stress, both from trying to do all the research to learn what I needed to know, and the worry about whether it would go well.

What you say is true - that as Americans, we have certain rights that make this country great. But no, it doesn't usually go both ways.

As long as blacks are gunned down by cops, no trial, no judge or jury - just cops executing people, we're not equal and we're not free.

Its simply fact that whites have more rights than non-whites. We all need to continue to work to change that.

Thanks for sharing.

Except for the fact that white cops are not gunning down black people. Most all of the shootings of blacks have one thing in common: they didn't listen to the orders of the police officer.

Of course, the simple solution to the problem is just teaching blacks to obey authority. The problem is they were raised to not respect authority, and then when they get gunned down, it's the cops fault.

All police shootings are investigated and in some circumstances, by private investigators working for the criminals family.

Thanks for your kind words. I'm quite glad my side of the ordeal is closed. It's had me under alot of stress, both from trying to do all the research to learn what I needed to know, and the worry about whether it would go well.

I'm glad you're okay, but my problem is you shouldn't have been brought to court in the first place without any credible evidence against you.

Our justice system still needs a lot of work. Unfortunately, it will never get done because our laws are designed to cater to the lawyers and not the citizen.

I knew that there was a nice guy in there somewhere:redface: ...Thank you for sharing such a personal story.

I am sorry that happened to you, and that dumb ass girl didn't destroy your life. People like her ruin the system for those who are truly hurt. That must have been so scary for you.

To tell you the truth I find humor with many of the members here , some can be so witty.
I am going through some medical crap and this forum detracts me.

View attachment 55203

Thanks Eagle. Scary, yes. Scariest part was today. Did alot of preparation. I knew I had plenty of fuel to point out how she was lying. It really didn't help her credibility any that she was convicted of theft about three years ago. When I brought that up at the end of cross, the prosecutor looked about like he had ended up in a Ronda Rousey arm bar.

Unless you're accused of terrorism. Terrorists don't deserve due process.

I wS joking swim.

Did u have a jury? Did u pick them?

Yes, I know you were joking. I was being sarcastic. I think you just got Poe'd. :D

Bench trial. Could have opted for a jury trial in the county court, but I would have been waiving an appeal opportunity. By keeping it in district court in front of the judge, I preserved the option to appeal to county court and receive a new trial if today had gone south.

That being said, I've actually done a jury trial before. But that was years ago, for a traffic ticket I was too stubborn to let go of. :badgrin:

I'm glad you're okay, but my problem is you shouldn't have been brought to court in the first place without any credible evidence against you.

Our justice system still needs a lot of work. Unfortunately, it will never get done because our laws are designed to cater to the lawyers and not the citizen.

Well, her sworn statement when she filed charges as sufficient for probable cause to bring charges. But I was a bit surprised when the State's Attorney decided that he was going to take a shot at prosecuting the case. He even admitted to me before hand that it was a weak case.

Thanks for sharing.

Except for the fact that white cops are not gunning down black people. Most all of the shootings of blacks have one thing in common: they didn't listen to the orders of the police officer.

Of course, the simple solution to the problem is just teaching blacks to obey authority. The problem is they were raised to not respect authority, and then when they get gunned down, it's the cops fault.

All police shootings are investigated and in some circumstances, by private investigators working for the criminals family.

"Except for the fact that white cops are not gunning down black people. Most all of the shootings of blacks have one thing in common: they didn't listen to the orders of the police officer. "

IOW, what I said is true - blacks are being gunned down by cops without due process.

Not doing what one is told is not a capital crime and, in some cases, they were shot in spite of following orders.

Forum List

Back