We Knew this was coming.

I never could do a lot of pull ups. I managed the max for the test which is 20 with a kip. Straight arm I could probably do 7 max. I knew a lot of Marines that couldn't do 20 pull ups.

Women were required to do a bent arm hang up till now. Think 30 seconds was max or something like that.

Now a days there is no kipping, you must do straight up straight down no swing no arching your back.

I do not believe standards should be lowered but is this the only way to test strength of the upper body? As I recall the Army did not even do pull ups. they did push ups?

I am 56 and do 60-70 pull ups every other day in sets of 10-15. Then do 100 push ups and 300 sit ups. No problems.

What was it the critics said about letting women in the USMC? They warned about just what is now happening. This is just another example of the ignorance of Liberalism.

Last edited:
We don't need women in Infantry roles, which is where this is leading.

Admin roles? Support roles? Logistics roles? No problem.

Fighter-jock roles? Artie roles? Armor roles? OK - with reservations.

Infantry?

Suicide for the female, and any male unfortunate enough to be deployed alongside her, if it gets down to hand-to-hand combat.

Last edited:
I never could do a lot of pull ups. I managed the max for the test which is 20 with a kip. Straight arm I could probably do 7 max. I knew a lot of Marines that couldn't do 20 pull ups.

Women were required to do a bent arm hang up till now. Think 30 seconds was max or something like that.

Now a days there is no kipping, you must do straight up straight down no swing no arching your back.

I do not believe standards should be lowered but is this the only way to test strength of the upper body? As I recall the Army did not even do pull ups. they did push ups?

When I retired in 93 the Army Physical fitness test consisted of 2 minute2 of sit ups, 2 minutes of Pushups, and a 2 mile run.

There were different standards for male, female, and age.... I always tried to pass within the bracket for the lowest age group. Usually made it....

And let's not even think about how a female POW might be treated........

Why do you think a male POW will be treated any better?
Approximately 3% of the population are Gay, so, approximately 3% of male enemy soldiers are included in the baseline of those at-risk of raping a male soldier...

Approximately 97% of the population are Straight, so, approximately 97% of male enemy soldiers are included in the baseline of those at-risk of raping a female soldier...

An overwhelming, quantifiable, defensible statistical potential, is it not?

Odds, averages and common sense...

More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do 3 pullups - San Jose Mercury News

I'm a 51 year old man.

This morning I did 60 pullups, rested 2 minutes then did 10 more, jogged in place for 10 minutes, then did 35 more, jogged in place for 10 minutes, and did 35 again.

They shouldn't lower physical standards just so women can get promoted in combat units.

Were you in the service?

No, I was in ROTC for 2 quarters in college.

I decided against a career in the military because they don't allow marijuana smoking.

However, I may have made a mistake. I had a friend who joined the army (circa 1982) and he said the barracks were full of drugs.

Approximately 3% of the population are Gay, so, approximately 3% of male enemy soldiers are included in the baseline of those at-risk of raping a male soldier...

Approximately 97% of the population are Straight, so, approximately 97% of male enemy soldiers are included in the baseline of those at-risk of raping a female soldier...

An overwhelming, quantifiable, defensible statistical potential, is it not?

Odds, averages and common sense...

It seems you are lacking in all three.

The reason women cannot do pull ups is not because they are less strong, but because they are anatomically diferent. it is the same reasons that taller men can do less pull ups than short men. You all can look it up. Basically, it is a function of relative arm length in relation to height.

If they tested or flexibility, woman would do better than men. What we have are women being held to standards in tests designed to measure men's "strength" and these tests are designed by men.

It is pretty silly. I would be the first to say all soldiers should be fit for combat but, first of all, hand to hand combat situations very, very rarely occur. Secondly, I don't ever recall there being a pull up face off on the battlefield.

Last edited:
And you obviously missed my point.

I am not the one advocating prohibiting women from certain positions solely based upon their gender. All I did was show you what is included in those gender stereotypes.
Nonsense.

You disingenuously cherry-picked the worst of gender-stereotyping, to evoke emotions designed to advance your cause.

Does advocacy for a continued barring of women in Infantry roles represent a form of gender-stereotyping?

Yes.

Absolutely.

But only with respect to physicality; not with respect to overall worth or merit of abilities or parity or subservience.

A great many folks who oppose such a proposed role for women in the Infantry are every bit as committed to egalitarianism and parity as you are; quite possibly more so, in many instances.

It's just that they have a better grip on reality and future prospects, with respect to Nature, and the Average Man and the Average Woman and their inherent physical nature and abilities.

And don't waste our time asking that 'what is an Average Woman' question again... you know damned-well what is meant, in both a metaphorical and a statistically and medically quantifiable sense.

Not everyone who opposes women in Infantry roles is a 'go get me a beer, bitch' type, eh?

And it's bullshit, dragging-out that redneck persona as a counterpointing tactic, in a debating context where no such manifestations are present, either explicitly or implicitly.

The Russians tried women in combat. Didn't work.

The Israelis tried it. Didn't work. They have the Caracal Battalion but they're nothing more than a Border Patrol Unit. If any real hostilities begin, they'll be pulled back, out of the way.

You act like women in combat has never been tried. And you're a moron.

Women in combat goes all the way back to the Druids. In fact, there's two posters in here who use the Queen of the Iceni's name as their handle.

Women in combat doesn't work. It just doesn't work.

The Israeli and USSR experiences in their wars clearly indicate your opinion has no merit.

If the women cannot do three pullups, why can't they? I was at the gym yesterday and must have seen ten women on three different racks doing pullups in sets of 10.

If housewives and cheerleaders are stronger than our marines we really do have a helluva problem.

Not better. But different in ways we don't care to think of our women being treated. That is one very important reason why we able-bodied American men should be concerned with protecting our women -- not sending them into armed combat against men.

It is an instinct, not a political policy.

We have a problem regardless. our military is half what it used to be. And I'm not talking numbers....

The enemies of the USA are watching and smiling.......

More than half of female Marines in boot camp can't do 3 pullups - San Jose Mercury News

I'm a 51 year old man.

This morning I did 60 pullups, rested 2 minutes then did 10 more, jogged in place for 10 minutes, then did 35 more, jogged in place for 10 minutes, and did 35 again.

They shouldn't lower physical standards just so women can get promoted in combat units.

Were you in the service?

No, I was in ROTC for 2 quarters in college.

I decided against a career in the military because they don't allow marijuana smoking.

However, I may have made a mistake. I had a friend who joined the army (circa 1982) and he said the barracks were full of drugs.
The first time I ever smoked marijuana was Christmas Eve on Okinawa, 1957. The mama-sans who came on base to do our laundry sold the most fantastic weed which I later realized was extremely high potency purple indica ("skunk"). That stuff was so resinous it ran down the paper of a burning joint and stuck to the fingers. Two or three hits would toast you. Any more would bake you and your feet would be glued to the deck.

They sold a tightly rolled, cloth-wrapped ball of cleaned bud the size of a baseball (about three ounces) for a five dollar U.S. greenback dollar or five cartons of Pall Mall cigarettes (a dollar a carton in the PX). Today I'm sure that same amount would cost well over five-hundred dollars.

Interestingly, while there were constant lectures, warnings, and threats urging us to avoid patronizing the liberty town prostitutes because of the rampant gonorrhea on Okinawa, and drinking too much booze because of the rampant drunkenness, there was never a word about the marijuana.

Last edited:
We have a problem regardless. our military is half what it used to be. And I'm not talking numbers....

The enemies of the USA are watching and smiling.......

Weren't you just strutting and crowing the other day about how you support our troops?

Now you imply they are half of what troops were in your day.

My son respected my service. I respect his today.

Forum List

Back