We don't need no stinkin Dept of Education!

We could do with probably about 10-20% of what is now the Dept. of Education.
Anything and everything uniform policy for all states goes immediately.
Education is not a function of the Federal government.

And we could go back to the '50s equal but seperate schools in the southern states, correct?

And we could go back to the '50s equal but seperate schools in the southern states, correct?

What, exactly, do you think that the DOE has to do with segregation?

What, exactly, do you think that the DOE has to do with segregation?
Nothing, but he doesn't get that.

Yeah, and we could also uninvent the polio vaccine and television.

Yeah, Black people should have wanted schools as bad as those for the Whites.

This was published in 1938. I didn't run across it until 2010. I wish I had read in in high school. But I found Science and Sanity in my early 20s which this discusses. A.E Van Vogt used Korzybski's ideas in his books I read as a kid.

A. E. Van Vogt and General Semantics

The Tyranny of Words (1938) by Stuart Chase
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9H1StY1nU8]"The Tyranny of Words" - YouTube[/ame]

The educational system is crap and designed to keep most people ignorant. How many educators were ever taught that they should know double-entry accounting? Why shouldn't they? Don't they have to manage money and buy houses and pay mortgages? The system depends on almost everybody being properly ignorant, including the teachers.

NO! Read Shakespeare and War and Peace. Useless crap!

psik

Bachmann: Why do we need a Department of Education, anyway? « Hot Air

Or so it seems.

Painting herself as a “constitutional conservative” Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann told Sen. Jim DeMint’s forum Monday that if elected president she would look to get rid of the Department of Education, among other things.

She also want's to get rid of the EPA.

Ever notice how those that want to get rid of education are all stupid?
Yes.

The educational system is crap and designed to keep most people ignorant.

If true, then getting rid of the Department of Education will have no effect.

NO! Read Shakespeare and War and Peace. Useless crap!

To you, perhaps. But to those who understand the intrinsic value of education, not.

Please tell us about the measurable improvements in education these past 32 years that are a direct result of the DOE.....

You're missing the point. None of this proves the original claim. No one ever said there isn't a problem, but "almost all" is both insupportable and an exaggeration. Whatshisass there engaged in hyperbole and has now spent a good amount of time trying to dig his way out of a hole.

UnkoTare:

THe public school problem is SO ABYSMALLY bad, that parents who give a shit about their kids are panicked. Today and everyday. While we argue about whether it's MOST or all of the districts that have a problem.

Trying not to be combative here -- I challenge you to watch "Waiting for Superman". You can probably order it up on Cable demand or NetFlix. After you've watched that -- tell me you still think the plight of those folks is debatable.. Or just tell me whether we should just continue the same ole strategy of pumping resources into a broken system..

PS -- not indicting teachers here. No way.. Unions YES.. But we need a multi-disciplinary triage approach to take the load OFF of the capable teachers and get families and communities involved in the solution.. That's NOT likely the Washington approach..

Washington does not control all aspects of public schools. The state and local communities have the most say so, except for the intrusive, "No Child Left Behind" program of rating schools by scores.

My kids have a much better education than I got in the sixties and seventies.

MoonGlow -- Is that REALLY YOU? Gee you sound almost rational...

Since NOBODY seems really happy with the help that they're getting from Wash. -- That could explain why a lot of folks don't see a real need for an entire DEPT LEVEL bureaucracy.

Ironically, me being a fervent "small gov dude", I may be the ONLY poster who saw a need for national testing assessment. Not neccessarilly from the Dept of Ed, could've been from a private firm like SATs or Princeton or Stanford, because the states were cooking their test results so badly (BEFORE NCLB) NO ONE could see where the biggest problems were or what the causes could be.

So if the DOEd shouldn't be doing those kinds of assessments -- shut 'em down. Because they don't have the data they need to be a help in the first place..

BTW: I can conclusively say that I got better education in the 70/80s in Florida than my kids got from the stunted, politified, group project, new math, whole language, phoney grading California public schools that they attended. And we did the BEST WE COULD to get them into some of the best PUBLIC choices available..

Last edited:
Are you seriously suggesting that studying Shakespeare and Tolstoy is useless crap? Wtf?

Are you seriously suggesting it isn't?

Of course. Now instead of answering a question with a question just say 'yes' or 'no.' Do you think that studying Shakespeare and Tolstoy is useless?

If you want to study English or Russian literature, they are not.

If you are in grade school learning about what you need to get through life, it is.

You are a farm animal, and you will be treated like one by the human beings who run the world you just happen to find yourself in. Good luck.

Are you seriously suggesting it isn't?

Of course. Now instead of answering a question with a question just say 'yes' or 'no.' Do you think that studying Shakespeare and Tolstoy is useless?

If you want to study English or Russian literature, they are not.

If you are in grade school learning about what you need to get through life, it is.

High school English class is actually extraordinarily useful practice for critical thinking skills, as well as developing an argument with supporting evidence and writing.

Forum List

Back