Watching the sea ice melt in the arctic 2012!

arctic.seaice.color.000.png

Arctic sea ice falls below 4 million square kilometers

September 5, 2012

Following the new record low recorded on August 26, Arctic sea ice extent continued to drop and is now below 4.00 million square kilometers (1.54 million square miles). Compared to September conditions in the 1980s and 1990s, this represents a 45% reduction in the area of the Arctic covered by sea ice. At least one more week likely remains in the melt season.
Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Figure 3. Monthly August ice extent for 1979 to 2012 shows a decline of 10.2% per decade.
Figure3.png

Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center
High-resolution image

The monthly averaged ice extent for August was 4.72 million square kilometers (1.82 square miles). This is 2.94 million square kilometers (1.14 million square miles) below the 1979 to 2000 average extent, and 640,000 square kilometers (247,000 square miles) below the previous record low for August set in 2007. Including 2012, the August trend is -78,100 square kilometers (-30,200 square miles) per year, or -10.2 % per decade relative to the 1979 to 2000 average.

N_stddev_timeseries1.png

Last edited:
Never convince Frankie Boy of that. He is absolutely sure that science has politics.

The fact that you don't believe that speaks volumes... Do you really believe that politics has nothing to do with it when Federal Grant time arrives? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

OK, dumb fuck. Are we funding all the scientists in Europe, Asia, Russia, and every other country that has scientists? Because they are all reporting the same thing, that the ice in the glaciers and polar caps is melting. That the tempature of the Earths surface and atmosphere is rising. And that the pattern of the rise is that one would expect from GHGs.

Dumb fuck? :lol: Not all of the Scientists... But enough of them receive funding from the American Taxpayer. They are not all reporting the same thing... How about a link to that craziness? I recall you were the dumb fuck who said forest fires were the result of man made Global Warming... Man made forestry policies maybe, but that is the extent of it. I don't profess that our planet does not go through temperature changes, but I find it insulting that idiots like you would have us believe that humans are at fault... Ridiculous. I don't recall Oil refineries, SUV's , and Coal powered electricity generating plants as being the root cause for Earth's Ice Age... You better adjust that tin foil hat of yours, this winter is going to be a cold one.

Who Knew?

Ice melts above 0degC.. WTHell?

You guys do realize that you are watching ICEBERGS melt, not solid ice. As SIE is usually defined as any cell having 20% or more ice coverage. So on your map projections -- an area that was initially only covered in a small part by ice is now clear... Which is MOST of the extreme Southern extent of the ice cover anyway..

The fact that you don't believe that speaks volumes... Do you really believe that politics has nothing to do with it when Federal Grant time arrives? If you do, I have a bridge to sell you.

OK, dumb fuck. Are we funding all the scientists in Europe, Asia, Russia, and every other country that has scientists? Because they are all reporting the same thing, that the ice in the glaciers and polar caps is melting. That the tempature of the Earths surface and atmosphere is rising. And that the pattern of the rise is that one would expect from GHGs.

Dumb fuck? :lol: Not all of the Scientists... But enough of them receive funding from the American Taxpayer. They are not all reporting the same thing... How about a link to that craziness? I recall you were the dumb fuck who said forest fires were the result of man made Global Warming... Man made forestry policies maybe, but that is the extent of it. I don't profess that our planet does not go through temperature changes, but I find it insulting that idiots like you would have us believe that humans are at fault... Ridiculous. I don't recall Oil refineries, SUV's , and Coal powered electricity generating plants as being the root cause for Earth's Ice Age... You better adjust that tin foil hat of yours, this winter is going to be a cold one.

AGW Observer

A link to numerous papers published in peer reviewed journals.

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

A link to the largest scientific organization in the world and their history of the investigation of GHGs and global warming. Many links within the site.

Global Warming and Wildfires | Union of Concerned Scientists

Wildfires and global warming.

Who Knew?

You guys do realize that you are watching ICEBERGS melt, not solid ice. As SIE is usually defined as any cell having 20% or more ice coverage. So on your map projections -- an area that was initially only covered in a small part by ice is now clear... Which is MOST of the extreme Southern extent of the ice cover anyway..

Flatulance, you are one dumb fuck to make a claim like that that can be so easily proven false.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/NEWIMAGES/arctic.seaice.color.000.png

That is 2012.

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/ARCHIVE/19790907.png

That is 1979. Note that the pink and dark pink areas are thick ice.

Far from being a bunch of floating icebergs, the arctic sea ice was solid enough then for dog sled trips to the north pole.

Since 1979 the TSI has decreased, but the amount of CO2 and other GHGs has significantly increased.

So, because of the increase in GHGs what should have been a decrease in temperature is now an increase.

The TSI chart says you're lying. When the line move up, that means it's increasing. Increasing.

See the difference?

For the last decade, the TSI has been down, and is only now coming up. Yet, the last decade is the warmest on record.

TSI Data

Who Knew?

Flatulance, you are one dumb fuck to make a claim like that that can be so easily proven false.

That is 2012.

Far from being a bunch of floating icebergs, the arctic sea ice was solid enough then for dog sled trips to the north pole.

Gosh OldieRocks -- I'd usually neg for something like that.. But I've kinda taken a protective role for the hopelessly bewildered.....

There's a little charty thingy to the left of those images... Notice it says SEA ICE CONCENTRATION.. Go look up the definition and re-read what I wrote above. Annnnnd stop calling me a dumb fuck unless you have a point...

In 1979, the only ships in the Arctic were icebreakers and the special ships built for that environment. Since 2005, they have been taking standard recreational sailboats through the Northwest and Northeast Passages, sometimes even circumnavigating the whole ice pack.

The average icepack volume from 1979 to 2001 was just under 14 million cubic kilometers. It is projected to bottom out at 3 million cubic kilometers this year. That is a reduction by a factor of five, almost the whole of the reduction in the last 11 years.

Who Knew?

That is 2012.

Gosh OldieRocks -- I'd usually neg for something like that.. But I've kinda taken a protective role for the hopelessly bewildered.....

There's a little charty thingy to the left of those images... Notice it says SEA ICE CONCENTRATION.. Go look up the definition and re-read what I wrote above. Annnnnd stop calling me a dumb fuck unless you have a point...
LOLOLOLOL......oh fecalhead, your brand of insanity just keeps on getting funnier and funnier as your sorry excuse for a mind disintegrates due to your cultic myths getting blown away by reality.

Nice little bit of 'projection' there too, considering that it is actually you that is "hopelessly bewildered" at this point.

BTW, everybody who knows you calls you a 'dumb fuck' because you are a dumb fuck; we don't need a specific "point". Every post you makes just demonstrates and reinforces the fact that you're a dumb fuck.

Since 1979 the TSI has decreased, but the amount of CO2 and other GHGs has significantly increased.

So, because of the increase in GHGs what should have been a decrease in temperature is now an increase.

The TSI chart says you're lying. When the line move up, that means it's increasing. Increasing.

See the difference?

For the last decade, the TSI has been down, and is only now coming up. Yet, the last decade is the warmest on record.

TSI Data

Did you not look at the chart you linked to? There is a RISING red line at the end.

Try reading and understanding what you link to, at least once in a while

tim_tsi_reconstruction_2012.jpeg

In 1979, the only ships in the Arctic were icebreakers and the special ships built for that environment. Since 2005, they have been taking standard recreational sailboats through the Northwest and Northeast Passages, sometimes even circumnavigating the whole ice pack.

The average icepack volume from 1979 to 2001 was just under 14 million cubic kilometers. It is projected to bottom out at 3 million cubic kilometers this year. That is a reduction by a factor of five, almost the whole of the reduction in the last 11 years.

Look -- I'm impressed at the ice melt.. I just want to understand EXACTLY what we're watching.. It's NOT an image of polar ice. It's not even a measurement of the volume.. Although I'm certain volume is decreasing as well... I spent 3 yrs in Earth Resource Satellite image processing -- so I'm sensitive to looking at pseudocolored stuff..
That's all...

Did someone fart in here? I thought I saw another DundrHead post -- but it was completely empty and pointless.. We really have to have better security..

Forum List

Back