Was thinking today about differences between our language, do you guys say "Fish and Chips" too?

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?
It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
You guys dont do spaghetti?
Maybe OL meant goulash.
To some, macaroni means noodles lol
I met someone from out in the midwest somewhere that called it "Hamburger Mac" Do you call it goulash, too, TN?
yep

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

/----/ I grew up in South Carolina where we called it a Soft Drink or by brand name, Coke or Pepsi since we were close to both Headquarters.

And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
They apparently don't have goulash, either.
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

Oh we have that, I've heard the term many times also, just never really made the connection. I would personally however just call that "mac and cheese with beef" or macaroni with beef" or whatever. I'm sure there are Canadians who use that term, I've heard it before. Pasta is tough to pin down because of the general nature of it, small differences can mean different things.

I also think you guys have a funny term for Canadian Bacon. To us it's just peameal bacon, I think it's just a particular cut tbh. I'm not even a big fan of Canadian bacon, I like the regular bacon, when I eat it at all.
Okay, but there's no cheese in goulash. Elbow macaroni, hamburger, onion, green pepper and tomato sauce. No cheese.
The original goulash used paprika as the main spice. They also just used whatever veggies were available.
I believe it is hungarian. We just do our own thing lol

/----/ In the South we called the long sandwich a Sub (Submarine sandwich) or poorboy, in New York they are called Heroes and midwest either Wedge or grinders.
Here is the official list
A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, hoagie, hero, filled roll, grinder, wedge, spukie, poorboy, po'boy or Italian sandwich, is the name given in the United States to a type of sandwich that consists of a length of bread or roll split crosswise and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments.[1][2] The sandwich has no standardized name,[1] with over a dozen variations used around the world.[3] Larger submarine sandwiches, particularly those that are longer in length or overstuffed with greater quantities of ingredients than usual, are sometimes called battleship sandwiches, flattop sandwiches or destroyer sandwiches.[4]

The terms submarine and sub are widespread and not assignable to any certain region, though many of the localized terms are clustered in the northeastern United States.

In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why
Same in NH

What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

I call it Johnny Marzetti, likely after a restaurant in my hometown in Ohio

/----/ In the South we called the long sandwich a Sub (Submarine sandwich) or poorboy, in New York they are called Heroes and midwest either Wedge or grinders.
Here is the official list
A submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, hoagie, hero, filled roll, grinder, wedge, spukie, poorboy, po'boy or Italian sandwich, is the name given in the United States to a type of sandwich that consists of a length of bread or roll split crosswise and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments.[1][2] The sandwich has no standardized name,[1] with over a dozen variations used around the world.[3] Larger submarine sandwiches, particularly those that are longer in length or overstuffed with greater quantities of ingredients than usual, are sometimes called battleship sandwiches, flattop sandwiches or destroyer sandwiches.[4]

The terms submarine and sub are widespread and not assignable to any certain region, though many of the localized terms are clustered in the northeastern United States.

Very good examples of regional variations on a theme. I would add that in New England, or at least northern New England, "grinder" specifically means a sub that's been toasted.

Where they get "grinder" from I have no clue. "Submarine" is obvious from the shape, and "hero" comes from the Greek gyro.

We call it Beefaroni
It’s beef and macaroni
Beefaroni’s full of meat
Beefaroni’s really neat
Beefaroni’s fun to eat

Hurray! For Beefaroni!

Last edited:

We call it Beefaroni
It’s beef and macaroni
Beefaronis fun to eat
Beefaronies full of meat

Huray! For Beefaroni

Now THAT I've actually heard of.

Thanks a LOT --- now I've got that jingle running through my head. It has no end.

Then if you ramble to northern Michigan/Wiscaaaaaaahnsin, you get "pasties". Which everywhere else means something completely different.

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

I've never heard "goulash" refer to anything but the traditional Hungarian dish -- more like a soup. :dunno:
The take out deli where I sometimes get lunch calls it "American chop suey," and inevitably when I order I ask for goulash. The attendant told me she knew what I meant because she used to live in Buffalo.
Yet when I googled goulash, the first recipe was Paula Deen's, the pic which is above. So it's not just upstate NY.

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

Oh we have that, I've heard the term many times also, just never really made the connection. I would personally however just call that "mac and cheese with beef" or macaroni with beef" or whatever. I'm sure there are Canadians who use that term, I've heard it before. Pasta is tough to pin down because of the general nature of it, small differences can mean different things.

I also think you guys have a funny term for Canadian Bacon. To us it's just peameal bacon, I think it's just a particular cut tbh. I'm not even a big fan of Canadian bacon, I like the regular bacon, when I eat it at all.
Okay, but there's no cheese in goulash. Elbow macaroni, hamburger, onion, green pepper and tomato sauce. No cheese.
The original goulash used paprika as the main spice. They also just used whatever veggies were available.
I believe it is hungarian. We just do our own thing lol
I've never had the real thing, or real paprika--just that red powder that tastes like nothing that you sprinkle on the potato salad for some reason.

I've never had the real thing, or real paprika--just that red powder that tastes like nothing that you sprinkle on the potato salad for some reason.

Paprika is not a strong flavor like black or white pepper.
There is also hot and sweet paprika, and smoked also for that matter.
Paprika is awesome on anything chicken, but applied liberally not sprinkled.

/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
upload_2018-7-9_13-5-28.jpeg

"Pop" is limited to the midwest. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania it's used in the western part of the state but never in the east, where it's always "soda".

We rarely use the adjective "French" with fries simply because it's already understood. You only need an adjective if you're dealing with "waffle fries" or "sweet potato fries", otherwise French is the default. A few years ago some TV demagogues tried to get us to change it to "Freedom fries" out of their own butthurt that the French would not go in on a blatantly illegal invasion of Iraq. Ironically in that case it was the French who exhibited more taste for freedom.

In the South, soda is known as “coke.”

“I’ll have a coke.”

“What kind?”

“7-Up. Thanks.”

Forum List

Back