Was thinking today about differences between our language, do you guys say "Fish and Chips" too?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

Down here, most of us call every "pop" product a coke.
"im going to the store to get some cokes"
"what kind?"
"mountain dew and sprite"
lol

And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q-Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
You guys dont do spaghetti?

We call call basically just baked mac and cheese with meat I guess. We have a product called Kraft Dinner (or KD for the new cool kids), and it is what you call mac and cheese. We basically exchange Kraft Dinner to mean Mac and Cheese, unless, it's homemade of course, but KD is a HUGE, cheap, generalized Canadian food. Think of Q Tips to mean cotton swabs, or Band aids for bandages. The brand is so big, it becomes generic for that product.
Like coke lol
Maybe OL meant goulash.
To some, macaroni means noodles lol

Like coke lol
They apparently don't have goulash, either.
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

"Pop" is limited to the midwest. Where I grew up in Pennsylvania it's used in the western part of the state but never in the east, where it's always "soda".

We rarely use the adjective "French" with fries simply because it's already understood. You only need an adjective if you're dealing with "waffle fries" or "sweet potato fries", otherwise French is the default. A few years ago some TV demagogues tried to get us to change it to "Freedom fries" out of their own butthurt that the French would not go in on a blatantly illegal invasion of Iraq. Ironically in that case it was the French who exhibited more taste for freedom.

Like coke lol

Yeah we do spaghetti. It's just the name of the noodles, right? Otherwise it's "pasta". So, if we use regattoni noodles, egg shell noodles, linguine etc. I suppose if someone said "Im making spaghetti" you would assume it was the stringy noodles, but it could just be any pasta, be is shells or whatever.

Just one of those things. Yes, we do spaghetti with meatballs, etc. To me it's a specific noodle though. if one is to be accurate.

Like coke lol
Maybe OL meant goulash.
To some, macaroni means noodles lol
I met someone from out in the midwest somewhere that called it "Hamburger Mac" Do you call it goulash, too, TN?

Down here, most of us call every "pop" product a coke.
"im going to the store to get some cokes"
"what kind?"
"mountain dew and sprite"
lol

That's true, that's a Southern thing. I've also heard "cold drink", which is broader on the surface but usually means soda. I'm not sure it's used to refer to, say, iced tea.

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

Oh we have that, I've heard the term many times also, just never really made the connection. I would personally however just call that "mac and cheese with beef" or macaroni with beef" or whatever. I'm sure there are Canadians who use that term, I've heard it before. Pasta is tough to pin down because of the general nature of it, small differences can mean different things.

I also think you guys have a funny term for Canadian Bacon. To us it's just peameal bacon, I think it's just a particular cut tbh. I'm not even a big fan of Canadian bacon, I like the regular bacon, when I eat it at all.

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

Oh we have that, I've heard the term many times also, just never really made the connection. I would personally however just call that "mac and cheese with beef" or macaroni with beef" or whatever. I'm sure there are Canadians who use that term, I've heard it before. Pasta is tough to pin down because of the general nature of it, small differences can mean different things.

I also think you guys have a funny term for Canadian Bacon. To us it's just peameal bacon, I think it's just a particular cut tbh. I'm not even a big fan of Canadian bacon, I like the regular bacon, when I eat it at all.

Nationality adjectives get affixed for no apparent reason. When the movie "Kramer versus Kramer" came out I was working as an au pair boy in France; there's a scene where the estranged father has to make breakfast for his kids and he makes French Toast. After seeing the movie my French hosts came back asking "c'est quoi, ce 'French toast'? They had never heard of it. Wanted me to make some for them -- until they got the sticker shock of how much maple syrup was going to cost.

I also recall that in the grocery store that pink stuff we call "Russian dressing" was labeled "Sauce Americain".

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

Okay, but there's no cheese in goulash. Elbow macaroni, hamburger, onion, green pepper and tomato sauce. No cheese.

Well actually...there are many different dialects within the U.S.
Around here we also call Soda - "Pop".
Also some say "lollipop" and others say "sucker"
Around here a winter knitted cap is called "toboggan"
We also call a roof more like "ruff"
And the list goes on...

Like coke lol
bobbys_goulash1216_1.jpg

I've never heard "goulash" refer to anything but the traditional Hungarian dish -- more like a soup. :dunno:

Forum List

Back