Was thinking today about differences between our language, do you guys say "Fish and Chips" too?

/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
View attachment 203792

WHAT??? AUUUGH!!!
F*cking Hamburger in f*cking tomato sauce is not f*cking bolognese!!!!!!!!
Hamburger in tomato sauce is f*cking Hamburger in tomato sauce!!

View attachment 203796
/------/ 10,0000 Italian Chefs disagree with the Brit chef Ramsey. Some restaurants add veal others don't.
Classic Ragù Bolognese Recipe
INGREDIENTS
  • 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 medium onions, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 celery stalks, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
  • 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
  • 6 oz. ground beef (85% lean)
  • 6 oz. ground veal
  • 3 oz. thinly sliced pancetta, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 3 cups (about) beef stock or chicken stock, divided
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 lb. tagliatelle or fettuccine (preferably fresh egg)
  • Finely grated Parmesan (for serving)

I've never had the real thing, or real paprika--just that red powder that tastes like nothing that you sprinkle on the potato salad for some reason.

Paprika is not a strong flavor like black or white pepper.
There is also hot and sweet paprika, and smoked also for that matter.
Paprika is awesome on anything chicken, but applied liberally not sprinkled.

That's not my quote. However I am pro-paprika.

This loose talk of "goulash" makes me want to make some for din-din. The original Hungarian stew kind. I think I've got enough paprika --- certainly have enough exotic Asian seasonings to make it interesting.

I've never had the real thing, or real paprika--just that red powder that tastes like nothing that you sprinkle on the potato salad for some reason.

I use a lot of it in my BBQ rub

/----/Every Italian restaurant in NY calls hamburger in tomato sauce over pasta: bolognese
View attachment 203792

WHAT??? AUUUGH!!!

View attachment 203796
/------/ 10,0000 Italian Chefs disagree with the Brit chef Ramsey. Some restaurants add veal others don't.
INGREDIENTS
  • 6 oz. ground veal
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 cup whole milk

Ahh... my friend but you notice it also has veal and pancetta. And that is what makes it bolognese.
Usually no less than a trio of different meats.
Also, like this recipe, tomato paste is used. Tomato sauce would cook down to nothing. :wink:

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

What say you? Fish and Chips?
It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?
View attachment 203792
That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

View attachment 203792

WHAT??? AUUUGH!!!

View attachment 203796
INGREDIENTS
  • 6 oz. ground veal
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 cup whole milk

Using the same name for different things isn't unusual either, sadly. Was just reflecting with a friend the other day about how grocery stores in New Orleans sell green onions (scallions) calling them shallots.

Mine too... paprika is underrated. Also good in many soups and bisque. Like Pogo stated above

So one big one is pop. You call it soda and in Canada we call it pop. How about Fish and Chips? Do you guys call it that, or just "fish and fries"?

Now oddly, we also call fries, well, fries. But if it comes with halibut fish, we call it chips. We rarely say French Fries, just fries (probably the influence of the British who want all things French eliminated from Canada)

It's pop in western New York, too.
And there it's goulash. In Maine it's American Chop Suey, and DON'T ask me why. What do you guys call macaroni and hamburger in tomato sauce?
View attachment 203792
That just made me drool. Goulash is different though. Not the wonderful bolognese sauce -- just a big can of Hunts and maybe a spoonful of sugar, depending on how pickish it is.

Sugar?

:puke:

I get incensed walking through a grocery store looking for tomato products that aren't infested with sugar. To this day I've never seen anyone sit down for a meal of lasagna or spaghetti or even pizza and go "please pass the sugar".

What does "pickish" mean?

BBQ?

Big Beauty Queen?

Mine too... paprika is underrated. Also good in many soups and bisque. Like Pogo stated above

My next application of paprika was going to be on butter-seared scallops.

Now you're making me hungry!

Then if you ramble to northern Michigan/Wiscaaaaaaahnsin, you get "pasties". Which everywhere else means something completely different.

To me, pasties means you are not going to see any more

Now you're making me hungry!

Welcome to my world. ;)

Well actually...there are many different dialects within the U.S.
Around here we also call Soda - "Pop".
Also some say "lollipop" and others say "sucker"
Around here a winter knitted cap is called "toboggan"
We also call a roof more like "ruff"
And the list goes on...
You really don't want to pick the scab that is Pittsburghese. Here when you are instructed to clean your room, you'll be told to "redd it up". Water comes from a spigot, an elastic Band elsewhere is called a rubber band, here it's a fumband. Bologna is called jumbo, to pry into the affairs of others is to be 'nebby' and carbonated soft drinks are called pop.

Last edited:

And the list goes on...
You really don't want to pick the scab that is Pittsburghese. Here when you are instructed to clean your room, you'll be told to "redd it up". Water comes from a spigot, an elestic Band elsewhere is called a rubber band, here it's a fumband. Bologna is called jumbo, to pry into the affairs of others is to be 'nebby' and carbonated soft drinks are called pop.

Say the word "wash" for us. :)

I'll trade you a "water".

I suppose you weirdos put sugar in your iced tea also... o_O
Never, except when I visited Charleston, SC and went to this little hole in the wall soul food restaurant and that was basically what there was to drink. I never put sugar in my tea, but that damned sweet tea was one of the best things I've ever put in my mouth. It was super strong and super cold and super sweet and lemony all at the same time.
Awesome. Then later I bought a bottle of something they called sweet tea and it was watered down slop, like you get at McDonalds for $1. But I'll not forget that Sweet Tea at Martha Lou's!

Fish and Chips

Yes, when we want to sound posh. However, my future mother-in-law was raised in a former British colony. Should hear her try to say s-q-u-i-r-r-e-l. Mom's father immigrated to the U.S. from Germany in the late 40's, her mother, from Sweden around the same time, so we say all kinds of crazy stuff.

Zinc for Sink

And the list goes on...
You really don't want to pick the scab that is Pittsburghese. Here when you are instructed to clean your room, you'll be told to "redd it up". Water comes from a spigot, an elestic Band elsewhere is called a rubber band, here it's a fumband. Bologna is called jumbo, to pry into the affairs of others is to be 'nebby' and carbonated soft drinks are called pop.

Say the word "wash" for us. :)

I'll trade you a "water".
Worsh. As in "Nothing goes right dahn in Worshington".

Forum List

Back