Was the 2012 Election a Watershed Moment in U.S. History?

Saved O-care, ending 30 years of Voodoo giveaway to the rich, ruin of the nonrich and the country-. 2014 will prove it so, then maybe the victorious Dems can bring back the Fairness Doctrine and end BS propaganda that's ruining the dupes and political discourse.

I hate to break the bad news to you, Franco but NOW is when the bad part of ObamaCare starts to rear it's ugly head. You think people don't like "O-care" now? Just wait until they find out how badly it's about to fuck up our health care system.

The voters wanted government to lower their health care costs...instead of that they got another massive government entitlement that will raise their costs while destroying the level of care we've always had here.

I really believe we're back on track for the first time since 1968, and even 1963 in some ways- moral leadership, the Great Society, and all that...

Do you even know what the Great Society means, Franco? As the board's "cliche master" don't you think you should stick to your usual nonsensical blatherings?

This election was a watershed because it proved that those who take from the government in one form of another now officially outnumber those who produce.

The Great Society means Medicare, Medicaid, and now Universal Health Care, education and training for the poor, and another golden age for the nonrich, AND the rich.

Instead of this GD Pub mess...see sig pp1. And even the SECOND Pub World Depression, plus 3 1/2 years of mindless (look in a mirror) Pub obstruction and propaganda...

What's amusing to me is the notion by progressives that their agenda would make things better.

The truth is...the only reason that the economy has recovered as much as it has is that the GOP took back the House from the Democrats and put the kabosh on Obama's plan to implement Cap & Trade legislation.

The first year and a half of Barry's "reign" showed that progressives by nature are incapable of staying within a budget or in running any type of an organization that's functional. Another four years of the most unqualified President we've had in generations will simply highlight his ineptitude.

Welcome to fantasy island

The GOP House has been the worst in modern times

Saved O-care, ending 30 years of Voodoo giveaway to the rich, ruin of the nonrich and the country-. 2014 will prove it so, then maybe the victorious Dems can bring back the Fairness Doctrine and end BS propaganda that's ruining the dupes and political discourse.

I hate to break the bad news to you, Franco but NOW is when the bad part of ObamaCare starts to rear it's ugly head. You think people don't like "O-care" now? Just wait until they find out how badly it's about to fuck up our health care system.

The voters wanted government to lower their health care costs...instead of that they got another massive government entitlement that will raise their costs while destroying the level of care we've always had here.

In 2014 the savings begin. Masscare and every other modern country prove it. Pelosi was right...You are sorely misled.

No flames, please. I am just wondering how you see this election from an historical perspective. Does it signal a fundamental change in the relationship between our government and people and if so, in what direction are we headed? Will we remain the world's economic superpower? Will our debt become an albatross around our necks? Will religion still play an important role in our national identity? Where do you see us in 50 years?

The election was a watershed moment only in the context of American political history.

It doesn’t signal a fundamental change in the relationship between our government and people and we will remain the world's economic superpower.

The debt will be addressed in due course, with the help of the continued economic recovery, and religion has rarely played a ‘significant role’ in our National identity, save that where all persons have the freedom to practice the religion of their choice, or no religion at all.

As to the election being a watershed moment only in the context of American political history: never before in modern times has an incumbent president so relentlessly attacked by the opposition, in the context of such poor economic conditions, won re-election. The Obama ‘ground game’ will become a classic template for future incumbents to plot a course to victory, particularly in similar circumstances.

Just as significant was the voters’ wholesale rejection of the agenda advocated by the social right, and the perception by female and Hispanic voters that the GOP is a party hostile to their interests.

As to America’s future: the best is yet to come. As young voters grow older and we become more diverse, citizens will realize more opportunities to express themselves as individuals, protected by a Constitution that endures, where, as Justice Kennedy noted, “persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.”

What's amusing to me is the notion by progressives that their agenda would make things better.

The truth is...the only reason that the economy has recovered as much as it has is that the GOP took back the House from the Democrats and put the kabosh on Obama's plan to implement Cap & Trade legislation.

The first year and a half of Barry's "reign" showed that progressives by nature are incapable of staying within a budget or in running any type of an organization that's functional. Another four years of the most unqualified President we've had in generations will simply highlight his ineptitude.

This is an example of the denial that I was talking about.

This is an example of the denial that I was talking about.

"I'm" in denial? Really? Did Barack Obama not want Cap & Trade legislation passed? Was that not stopped by the election of Scott Brown to the Senate? Are we not running trillion dollar a year plus deficits and is the Senate yet again not passing a budget?

I'm sorry, Candy but the people in "denial" here are progressives that somehow think that if they could just seize power back again that their agenda would cure the country's ills...when the truth is...when they HAD that power all they gave us were another entitlement program that we can't afford to pay for...a stimulus that cost obscene amounts of money we had to borrow for every job it created...and the first credit downgrade in our nation's history because they are incapable of cutting spending.

The GOP House simply did what they were sent to Washington by the voters to do...stop progressives from passing idiotic legislation like Cap & Trade and waste more money we don't have on another stimulus just as flawed as the first one.

The "fantasy" here is that Barack Obama ever HAD a plan to fix the economy. He got elected on a vague promise and then spent the next four years blaming everyone but himself for not living up to that vague promise. As amusing as that was he managed to convince enough Americans that Mitt Romney was the Boogey Man that they reelected someone who has repeatedly demonstrated that he has neither the aptitude nor the experience necessary to make the tough calls on governing this country.

We needed someone to fix things...instead we got the Paris Hilton of politics...someone who is famous but does nothing.

The election was certainly a watershed moment if you look at the role social media played. I think Twitter and Facebook were very influential compared to previous elections. Obama's team did the better job in that department and it may have won him the election. If you look at statistics about their Twitter accounts on October 2012, you can see the difference. That's a lot more direct communication from Obama...

The GOP House simply did what they were sent to Washington by the voters to do...stop progressives from passing idiotic legislation like Cap & Trade and waste more money we don't have on another stimulus just as flawed as the first one.

The "fantasy" here is that Barack Obama ever HAD a plan to fix the economy. He got elected on a vague promise and then spent the next four years blaming everyone but himself for not living up to that vague promise. As amusing as that was he managed to convince enough Americans that Mitt Romney was the Boogey Man that they reelected someone who has repeatedly demonstrated that he has neither the aptitude nor the experience necessary to make the tough calls on governing this country.

We needed someone to fix things...instead we got the Paris Hilton of politics...someone who is famous but does nothing.

Bull Shit...Cap and Trade was already dead in the water. Obama used his political capital to pass Obamacare. Cap and Trade was put on the back burner

The Republican Congress passed no meaningful legislation after promising Jobs, Jobs, Jobs if the gulible public put them in charge. They delivered NOTHING

Over 8% unemployment ....they did NOTHING

The only purpose of the Republican Congress was to protect unneeded tax breaks for bilionaires. At that they were successful

No flames, please. I am just wondering how you see this election from an historical perspective. Does it signal a fundamental change in the relationship between our government and people and if so, in what direction are we headed? Will we remain the world's economic superpower? Will our debt become an albatross around our necks? Will religion still play an important role in our national identity? Where do you see us in 50 years?

1. Yes. And we are probably headed toward a more realistic approach to the world.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. A beacon for good governance, human rights and responsible stewardship of the planet.

I see 2008 as the watershed, not 2012. 2012 just reaffirmed what we voted for in 2008.

As far as out status as a nation, countries are becoming less and less important in a globalized world.

Posts I am most aligned with:

rightwinger
2012 was watershed in that it saved Obamacare and prevented the Conservatives from stacking the Supreme Court

francoHFW

francoHFW
I really believe we're back on track for the first time since 1968, and even 1963 in some ways- moral leadership, the Great Society, and all that...

boedicca
This election was a watershed because it proved that those who take from the government in one form of another now officially outnumber those who produce.
(This is a truth that needs to be turned around as alluded to in francoHFW's post directly preceding. Not sure how boedicca meant it.)

Sallow
1. Yes. And we are probably headed toward a more realistic approach to the world.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. Yes.
5. A beacon for good governance, human rights and responsible stewardship of the planet.
(Number one is think is the most significant answer from the questions given. Debt is going to be as serious drag just as any family who has come to the realization it is time to pay off the debt suffers very noticeably.)

One I kind of agree with but is the reason I am making a post in the first place.
JoeB131
I see 2008 as the watershed, not 2012. 2012 just reaffirmed what we voted for in 008.
As far as out status as a nation, countries are becoming less and less important in a globalized world.
(Without 2012 2008 would be washed away, with Mitt is would be expunged from all recorded history. 2012 is the booster stage that gets the rocket into orbit. 2014 is very important and maybe even necessary for ultimate success. I think many of us, myself included, may have voted in 2010 but did not put enough into the overall success of the midterms, won't make that mistake again.)

2012 is a watershed moment in the history of mankind in that it is a new technological era. Whether we destroy Frankenstein or make him into a more beautiful person is our challenge of the day. I believe Obama is the most perfect person, as imperfect as he may be :eusa_angel:, for this moment. We face either the Renaissance or we face the Dark Ages. I think it no less of a challenge. Things will not happen just because 'they were meant to be.' They will happen because of the choices we make. I pray we pass this trial with honor.

It was a watershed moment because we are now a majority of leeches who are convinced that 1% of the population can support 99% in a state of cradle to grave retirement.

Russia recognized the error of embracing communism and attributed it to America being mostly illiterate.

It reflects a pronouced dumbing-down of American voters and our start on the path to cradle-to-grave government entitlement.

it's a shame that nobody will make it to the grave before the money that pays for those entitlements runs out... America is already running on borrowed time when it comes to reckless spending, and it is clear that the majority of the American people feel that we can sustain the unsustainable simply by taxing the rich. A very big surprise is what lies in wait for those who bought that lie hook, line, and sinker.

Forum List

Back