Was Moore banned from a local mall due to his inappropriate activities?

Roy Moore, now a Republican Senate candidate, was known for “badgering teenage girls” at an Alabama mall in the 1980s, The New Yorker reports.

Reporter Charles Bethea spoke with over a dozen people who worked or spent time at the Gadsden Mall during that time. They said there were many rumors that Moore was on a list of people banned from the establishment.

Greg Legat, who worked at the mall in the 1980s, told Bethea that he remembers Moore was banned from the shopping center starting around 1979. Legat recalled that the mall was often “filled” with unchaperoned teens.

A local police officer, J.D. Thomas, reportedly often asked Legat to keep an eye out for Moore. ”‘If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him,’” Legat remembers Thomas telling him, according to The New Yorker.

Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson reported Sunday that he had heard similar allegations: “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls.”

Other people who frequented the mall during the 1980s told The New Yorker they believed Moore had been banned for “trying to pick up younger girls.”

Two police officers who worked in the area at the time also told Bethea that Moore was known for hanging around the mall to find dates.

“The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” one officer said. “I was told by a girl who worked at the mall that he’d been run off from there, from a number of stores. Maybe not legally banned, but run off.”

Roy Moore May Have Been Banned From A Mall For Harassing Teen Girls In 1980s | HuffPost

Usually when I read about these sex scandals--especially from decades ago, I'm skeptical to believe any of them. I didn't believe all this stuff about Moore either because again, no evidence to support the case of the women making the accusations.

If this report has any validity, I think I will change my mind on this. If there are records showing Moore was banned from the mall due to the activities he's now being accused of, it's an open and shut case as far as I'm concerned.

I realize there are dozens of posts about Moore, but this is a game changer which is why I posted it.

That is what should be used as a perfect example of hearsay. A friend of a friend's girlfriend's father's cousin's roommate told me that Moore was a pervert.

I understand that the girls involved can be persuaded, but local police officers? What's in it for them by not telling the truth?

They're Democrats.

Here we go. These articles are just gossip. No evidence. Just a pile on. Only two accusers but this witch hunt is amazing. I put this up last night.

"Right here. And no one has come forward with any fucking paperwork to back this shit up. I'm not going to take local freaking gossip as gospel. He even left Gadsden in the 80's lived in Australia, returned, dated his future wife and married her in 1985.

"Barnes Boyle, who is eighty-six, also managed the mall, from 1981 to 1998. His wife, Brenda, told me that Moore was a longtime acquaintance of his—they went to the Y.M.C.A. together often—and that he planned to vote for him."

Locals Were Troubled by Roy Moore’s Interactions with Teen Girls at the Gadsden Mall"
You are pathetic. Really pathetic. Overwhelming evidence surfaces day after day and you still defend a child molester.

Not including these allegations....he is a kook. My version of Christianity and his are waaaassy different. He is a threat to my religion.

Roy Moore, now a Republican Senate candidate, was known for “badgering teenage girls” at an Alabama mall in the 1980s, The New Yorker reports.

Reporter Charles Bethea spoke with over a dozen people who worked or spent time at the Gadsden Mall during that time. They said there were many rumors that Moore was on a list of people banned from the establishment.

Greg Legat, who worked at the mall in the 1980s, told Bethea that he remembers Moore was banned from the shopping center starting around 1979. Legat recalled that the mall was often “filled” with unchaperoned teens.

A local police officer, J.D. Thomas, reportedly often asked Legat to keep an eye out for Moore. ”‘If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him,’” Legat remembers Thomas telling him, according to The New Yorker.

Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson reported Sunday that he had heard similar allegations: “Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls.”

Other people who frequented the mall during the 1980s told The New Yorker they believed Moore had been banned for “trying to pick up younger girls.”

Two police officers who worked in the area at the time also told Bethea that Moore was known for hanging around the mall to find dates.

“The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” one officer said. “I was told by a girl who worked at the mall that he’d been run off from there, from a number of stores. Maybe not legally banned, but run off.”

Roy Moore May Have Been Banned From A Mall For Harassing Teen Girls In 1980s | HuffPost

Usually when I read about these sex scandals--especially from decades ago, I'm skeptical to believe any of them. I didn't believe all this stuff about Moore either because again, no evidence to support the case of the women making the accusations.

If this report has any validity, I think I will change my mind on this. If there are records showing Moore was banned from the mall due to the activities he's now being accused of, it's an open and shut case as far as I'm concerned.

I realize there are dozens of posts about Moore, but this is a game changer which is why I posted it.

That is what should be used as a perfect example of hearsay. A friend of a friend's girlfriend's father's cousin's roommate told me that Moore was a pervert.

I understand that the girls involved can be persuaded, but local police officers? What's in it for them by not telling the truth?
The police & DA are always tight. The DA protects police & the police protected the DA. That prevented any documentation paper trail. But behind the scenes they had to protect the girls from Moore.

I guess it would depend on the reliability of documentation. I would like to see concrete evidence of course, and as stated, if there are legitimate records of this, I would have to side with the accusers on this one. If not, then I'll continue to support Moore and believe the MSM is full of ship.
I'm not familiar with the official way to "ban" someone from a place of business, but since he was a D.A., I'm pretty sure there was no "legal" paperwork on the issue. Security may have had a talk with him and threatened something official if he didn't cooperate, but my guess is that due to his station, you will find no "proof" this happened except hearsay. Pretty convenient for him.

Where was the elected District Attorney that Moore worked for during all of this? Did it ever occur to the boss that he might want to rein in an employee acting so outrageously?

It seemed to be a well known "secret" about Moore. That is how the WaPo reporter picked up on it
I don't know if they kept the secret because they were afraid of the powerful Moore or because he was a favorite son done good

He could very well be telling the truth, but he is basing his information on hearsay.

At one time, I had a parent of one of my students report me to the school board as being racist because she simply made up something I never said. You could have done a poll at that school within a week of that accusation and probably half the teachers and students would call me a racist, even though I was completely innocent, because that is what they wanted to believe. I was one of the few white male teachers in the building, so naturally I was a racist.

Which is why I never believe anything until I see evidence. I thought this was all made up in the first place given the fact nobody ever came forward all of these years in spite of his several positions in government. But now???

I've never been to Alabama, but what I've been told is people kind of handle problems on their own. In other words, you don't want to mess with a girl that has a very protective father if you get what I mean.

Hunting trips are usually involved as a "problem solver". :)

I guess it would depend on the reliability of documentation. I would like to see concrete evidence of course, and as stated, if there are legitimate records of this, I would have to side with the accusers on this one. If not, then I'll continue to support Moore and believe the MSM is full of ship.
I'm not familiar with the official way to "ban" someone from a place of business, but since he was a D.A., I'm pretty sure there was no "legal" paperwork on the issue. Security may have had a talk with him and threatened something official if he didn't cooperate, but my guess is that due to his station, you will find no "proof" this happened except hearsay. Pretty convenient for him.

Where was the elected District Attorney that Moore worked for during all of this? Did it ever occur to the boss that he might want to rein in an employee acting so outrageously?

The Mall was and is his friend and he managed the mall from 1981 to the late 90's and no Moore was never banned.

He could very well be telling the truth, but he is basing his information on hearsay.

At one time, I had a parent of one of my students report me to the school board as being racist because she simply made up something I never said. You could have done a poll at that school within a week of that accusation and probably half the teachers and students would call me a racist, even though I was completely innocent, because that is what they wanted to believe. I was one of the few white male teachers in the building, so naturally I was a racist.

Which is why I never believe anything until I see evidence. I thought this was all made up in the first place given the fact nobody ever came forward all of these years in spite of his several positions in government. But now???

I've never been to Alabama, but what I've been told is people kind of handle problems on their own. In other words, you don't want to mess with a girl that has a very protective father if you get what I mean.

Hunting trips are usually involved as a "problem solver". :)
Heck, yeah: ask Dick Cheney.

It seemed to be a well known "secret" about Moore. That is how the WaPo reporter picked up on it
I don't know if they kept the secret because they were afraid of the powerful Moore or because he was a favorite son done good

Don't even know if it's true yet. What I did hear on the radio today is that the one woman who claimed he took her to the back parking lot of a restaurant doesn't have a back parking lot and never did. Hmmmm.

there would need to be some file in the police department with his name on it. someone should pull that file. let's really see. otherwise this is just more cheap ass trash. I see cops in this report. so pull the file and let's see the reports.

Not including these allegations....he is a kook. My version of Christianity and his are waaaassy different. He is a threat to my religion.
LOL, how the fk is he a threat to your religion? I thought your religion was against gay marriage right? so how is it that hasn't threatened your religion? wow. fking crazy ass people.

EXACTLY. Where is he and let's hear from him? bring it on!!!!

The police & DA are always tight. The DA protects police & the police protected the DA. That prevented any documentation paper trail. But behind the scenes they had to protect the girls from Moore.
are you Barney Fife?

upload_2017-11-15_16-6-35.jpeg

Even having concrete evidence will not sway people. There is a yearbook of a 15 year old signed by Moore and people ignored it because he writes his Y different now than he did 40 years ago.

As long as Moore has an (R) in front of his name some people will not every believe anything about him no matter how much evidence.

He's probably dead by now.

Even having concrete evidence will not sway people. There is a yearbook of a 15 year old signed by Moore and people ignored it because he writes his Y different now than he did 40 years ago.

As long as Moore has an (R) in front of his name some people will not every believe anything about him no matter how much evidence.
200w.webp

The Mall was and is his friend and he managed the mall from 1981 to the late 90's and no Moore was never banned.

Moore was never banned. In the late 70s, early 80s he was in Australia. He was married in 1985.

He's probably dead by now.
that should tell you something.

Forum List

Back