War of The Worlds

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
What were your opinions if you saw this one?

I thought it was more entertaining than I figured it would be, essentially two hours of non stop action, sometimes very intense.

Bonnie said:
What were your opinions if you saw this one?

I thought it was more entertaining than I figured it would be, essentially two hours of non stop action, sometimes very intense.
I keep promising my son that we're going to see it someday.

We both saw the 1953 version. We both thought it was good and the special effects were good for the time, but nothing compared to today. In place of f action, it had a lot of psychological intensity, instead.

KarlMarx said:
I keep promising my son that we're going to see it someday.

We both saw the 1953 version. We both thought it was good and the special effects were good for the time, but nothing compared to today. In place of f action, it had a lot of psychological intensity, instead.

I agree especially the car scene which I found to be one fo the most intense parts of the movie. Also what did you make of the conversaton between Tim Robbins and Cruise's daughter which I took to be implying some kind of pedophilia? Maybe Im crazy though??

Bonnie said:
I agree especially the car scene which I found to be one fo the most intense parts of the movie. Also what did you make of the conversaton between Tim Robbins and Cruise's daughter which I took to be implying some kind of pedophilia? Maybe Im crazy though??
I didn't see the 2005 version, just the 1953 version.

In the 1953 version, there weren't any kids. The main characters were a professor from "Pacific Tech" (probably a reference to CalTech) and a woman who is a niece of the local minister. There was a love interest implied.

Of course, they dropped the Bomb which didn't do anything to the Martians (in the 1953 version, as in the book by H.G. Wells, the invaders were from Mars, I understand that isn't the case in the Tom Cruise film).

There was definitely a feel of the Cold War fear in the 1953 version.

In the end, the Martians (as in the book) the Martians die from breathing our air and succumbing to the bacteria and viruses that they had no immunity to.

KarlMarx said:
I didn't see the 2005 version, just the 1953 version.

In the 1953 version, there weren't any kids. The main characters were a professor from "Pacific Tech" (probably a reference to CalTech) and a woman who is a niece of the local minister. There was a love interest implied.

Of course, they dropped the Bomb which didn't do anything to the Martians (in the 1953 version, as in the book by H.G. Wells, the invaders were from Mars, I understand that isn't the case in the Tom Cruise film).

There was definitely a feel of the Cold War fear in the 1953 version.

In the end, the Martians (as in the book) the Martians die from breathing our air and succumbing to the bacteria and viruses that they had no immunity to.

How old is your son?

KarlMarx said:
He just turned 18

Well then I think he is PLENTY old enough to handle the intensity of this one...LOL IM thinking he's like 14
See it if for no other reason than it's a good summer popcorn type entertaining movie.

well, this is not the best Speilberg...

I watch it with friends, so, we were in a "joy feeling", so we were ready to see a basic movie.

War of the Worlds is not a great great movie.
Some aspects are quite interesting, like the fact that we don't see a lot the ennemies.
There is a lot of close scenes, with a growing tension and suspense.

But the book is far better.

Forum List

Back