"Cooter" to fans "Skip the movie"...

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
"COOTER" URGEST FANS TO SKIP THE "DUKES" MOVIE:

ATLANTA - If television's "Crazy Cooter" has his way, fans of the "Dukes of Hazzard" may be speeding away from a new movie version of the cornpone classic faster than the Duke boys running from Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane.

Ben Jones, a former Georgia congressman who played the wisecracking mechanic on the popular series from 1979-85, said profanity and sexual content in the film make a mockery of the family friendly show.

"Basically, they trashed our show," said Jones, who now lives in the mountains of Washington, Va. "It's one thing to do whatever movie they want to do, but to take a classic family show and do that is like taking "I Love Lucy" and making her a crackhead or something."

Jones said he read a script of the movie, which is scheduled to be released next month, and that it contained profanity, "constant sexual innuendo and some very clear sexual situations."

On Wednesday, Jones wrote an open letter to fans on his web site, cootersplace.com, urging them to stay away.

"From all I have seen and heard, the "Dukes" movie is a sleazy insult to all of us who have cared about the "Dukes of Hazzard" for so long ... ," Jones wrote. "Unless they clean it up before the August 5th release date I would strongly recommend that true blue Dukes fans hold their noses and pass this one up."

A spokeswoman at Warner Brothers pictures, which is releasing the movie, did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment on Wednesday.

"The Dukes of Hazzard" was a surprise hit for CBS, combining with "Dallas" to earn some of the highest Friday-night ratings in television history.

The show pitted "good-ol' boys" Bo and Luke Duke and their moonshine-running Uncle Jesse against the crooked politician Boss Hogg and his bumbling henchman, Sheriff Coltrane, in fictional Hazzard County.

Reruns of the show began airing on the CMT network this year, earning some of the best ratings ever on the country music cable channel.

In the movie, Johnny Knoxville, who made his name on MTV's controversial stuntfest "Jackass," and Seann William Scott, who starred in the raunchy "American Pie" movies, play the main characters.

Pop star turned reality TV icon Jessica Simpson plays Daisy Duke.

Jones was elected to Congress in 1988 as a Democrat. He lost his bid for a third term in 1992 after his district was redrawn, then lost two other bids for House seats, one in Georgia and another in Virginia.

He owns Cooter's Place, a "Dukes" memorabilia shop in Gatlinburg, Tenn. and plans to open another in Nashville. He also is an organizer of "Dukesfest," an annual outdoor concert and convention celebrating the show in Bristol, Tenn.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050713/ap_en_tv/dukes_of_hazzard_complaint

Sounds like somebody is not getting royalties and is pissed.
The "Dukes of Hazzard" was a "family friendly show"? I know I overlook the ass ole Daisy flashed every week, yep sure did...:rotflmao:

Mr. P said:
The "Dukes of Hazzard" was a "family friendly show"? I know I overlook the ass ole Daisy flashed every week, yep sure did...:rotflmao:

Overlooked? Or, looked over?

Mr. P said:

I can promise it has nothing to do with Royalties and has everything to do with the fact that Hollywierd has a way of over-sexing EVERYTHING it does these days...

And yes, the original Dukes was a family show....

-Cp said:
I can promise it has nothing to do with Royalties ...
You know the guy?
Promise away...the guy used to live here in my town and I know of an attorney that helped him out of a...well no matter..I think I know what his problem is..I'll leave it at that.

Mr. P said:
You know the guy?
Promise away...the guy used to live here in my town and I know of an attorney that helped him out of a...well no matter..I think I know what his problem is..I'll leave it at that.

Seriously.. how how it be about Royalties? He was just an ACTOR on the show, never owned rights to it...

I'm no prude, I'm all about as much sex and violence as you want in the movies.

But, I do think, according to the trailer (which of course is showing the lightest material), they are going overboard with the sex stuff. Yes, the original Dukes was a kids' show. Okay, Daisy Duke wore shorts that showed off her legs and butts, but I remember watching that show when I was 5, 6 years old and loving it. Do any of the parents on this board want to explain to their five or six-year-old why the cop looks so surprised when Daisy Duke says "I think somethin' bounced up into my undercarriage!"

Speaking of which, it would be funny if she said "I think somethin' bounced up into my undercarriage", then leaned in close and said "I'm talkin' about my vagina." I tell ya, that'd be hilarious. Plus Jessica Simpson could go ahead and secure that "filthy slut" she's trying to claim from Christina Aguilera.

Willie Nelson as Uncle Jessie was the only logical casting in this movie; the rest was garbage. If this movies makes #1, even for one week, then that will explain Bush's reelection!

hylandrdet said:
Willie Nelson as Uncle Jessie was the only logical casting in this movie; the rest was garbage. If this movies makes #1, even for one week, then that will explain Bush's reelection!

What does this move have to do with the re-election of President Bush?

What kind of person would call themselves "Cooter?"
Obviously the word had a different slang meaning back then. :banana: :69:

Forum List

Back