War coverage is over-censored

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
War coverage, terrorist attacks, shootings, etc. are all censored, blurred, or edited out of coverage altogether. In the case of wars, I worry that by censoring out all the blood and gore, severed limbs, and soldiers crying out for help we're only making these pointless conflicts more palattable to the public. Instead, I believe we should completely de-censor coverage of violent incidents to show people the horror of war lest they forget.

As long as wars are out of sight and out of mind there wont be the public opposition to them like in times past. And until that horror is brough center stage, the corporations which provide all the things used in wars will continue to profit from wars providing a disincentive to not going to war.

"Lockheed Martin is one of the world's largest defense contractors; in 2009, 74% of Lockheed Martin's revenues came from military sales.[4] It received 7.1% of the funds paid out by the Pentagon.[5]"
Lockheed Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wars have become a business opportunity. So not only do we have them continuously now, but we're no longer fighting them to win and end them quickly. The longer they persist, the more money is made. We need to bring back the horror of war. Show why it's supposed to be something to be avoided at all costs.

It's harder to manipulate people when you tell them the truth. That plus the sponsors don't want you too upset when the commercials come on.

US media is so insulating. Live time delays lest anyone see someone die or in a infamous recent example, that NBA guy who had a compound fracture and all the hoopla about it. I watched several stories about it on tv and didn't know what had happened until I looked for info online and saw the injury uncensored. Yet we let kids play extremely graphic videogames readily, but heaven forbid any woman's nipple's visible (curiously, men's nipples which look identical are fine.) We seem to go out of our way to censor reality.

I don't have Cable TV but of course they have TV's in the break rooms where I work and usually it's on FoxNews or ESPN.

But when the News is on do the guys talk about the subject? No. It's usually which Fox News Info Babe they'd bang.

What was the report about? Oh they don't remember that. They weren't paying attention.

That has to be intentional.

What "war coverage"? There is no war. The greatest Military machine on the planet is stalled in a couple of fire bases in Afghanistan sending out patrols to get shot or blown up and playing by rules set by the 6th century enemy. The media doesn't seem to care about strategy or casualties or the dreaded "V" word while a radical left wing president is in office.

Forum List

Back