Wanna Be Smarter? Read A Book That Doesn’t Make Sense

I'm not sure I could read Kafka again older. Young he was a puzzle, a fascination with the quirkiness of life and fate. I've read most of his work, it has a strange depressed quality to it. Today he would take Zoloft or some other anti depressant and maybe move in a better social circle where his morbid imagination would work better - maybe. I doubt reading him would make you smarter though.

Franz Kafka online | The Works and Life of Franz Kafka

"The meaning of life is that it stops." K

Reading William Vollmann, Richard Powers, Daniel Dennett, Albert Camus, Derrick Jensen, Peter Watson, William Faulkner, or David Foster Wallace may make you smarter though.

In effect, it is saying that the brain responds to cognitive dissonance by working harder. Makes some kind of sense there. The brain is like any other muscle. The harder it works, the stronger it gets.

I don't believe that reading kafka is the only way to go. You might get the same result by doing math puzzles and programming exercises.

In effect, it is saying that the brain responds to cognitive dissonance by working harder. Makes some kind of sense there. The brain is like any other muscle. The harder it works, the stronger it gets.

I don't believe that reading kafka is the only way to go. You might get the same result by doing math puzzles and programming exercises.

It's out of my expertise, but I don't know if I would call it cognitive dissonance or conflict purely, as much as I would refer to it as cognitive stimulation. Probably a combination. Although any stimulus or 'brain excercises' I would think would assist in the brains ability to delay the neurodegenerative process. The more intense or complex the 'exercise' the more the benefits,makes sense to me also, unless there are underlying medical issues that would prevent this from being beneficial.

Heck, just being a member in USMB is an abundance of cognitive stimuli per day for anyone! :lol:

Forum List

Back