Walmart Greeter Punched By Customer Gets Fired

He didn't look feeble to me, but that shouldn't matter and in fact, it might dissuade me from sucker punching him if he were in shape.

But, even so, I would like to say that I would simply tell him to F Off and leave. Fearing jail time, I would not assualt him. So what? He wrote down my license plate. Big deal, once I am gone, they can't prove I took anything... not that I would.

Immie
huh...in Florida you are allowed to shoot someone dead if you feel threatened by them. So I'm not seeing the difference...why can't you punch someone for calling you a slut?

The legality of punching someone for calling you a slut is moot.

The real question is...would you do it?
I don't know, it would depend on the circumstances.

IMO, both the employee and the customer were wrong...and the customer is being charged with a felony and the employee has been fired. Sounds like a good end all around.

I'd like to say no, but...just how feeble is this old man?:lol:

He didn't look feeble to me, but that shouldn't matter and in fact, it might dissuade me from sucker punching him if he were in shape.

But, even so, I would like to say that I would simply tell him to F Off and leave. Fearing jail time, I would not assualt him. So what? He wrote down my license plate. Big deal, once I am gone, they can't prove I took anything... not that I would.

Immie
huh...in Florida you are allowed to shoot someone dead if you feel threatened by them. So I'm not seeing the difference...why can't you punch someone for calling you a slut?

You thought I meant slut?

Dang! What would you do, if the slur word was the one I was thinking... whore?

Also, I don't know of anyone who has gotten away with shooting someone simply because they felt threatened. I will say though that I am learning to keep the single finger salute hidden, much to my wife's glee.

Immie

He will make plenty sueing them for wrongful termination.

Florida is an At Will state. There will be no wrongful termination case.

You might want to check that out. Even in "at will" states a person fired for cause can sue for wrongful termination. You can also sue for wrongful termination if your being fired 'without cause' is a thinly veiled attempt to disguise discriminaiton.

There was a situation in TN several years ago involving a male nurse and a psych patient. Now psych hospitals have a strict policy against fighting back if a patient assaults you. This nurse slugged the patient back, was fired, and they went for his license. The Nursing Board ruled after several years of litigation that the nurse had the right to defend himself, even though there was a policy in place that says you don't fight back. And it should be noted that in psych hospitals staff are taught how to defend themselves without fighting back.

I think it may be far fectched but there COULD be an equal protection question here. Now as it stands the equal protection clause only applies to the government, BUT there was a time when the equal rights laws only applied to the government. Over the years, the equal rights legislation has come to apply to the private sector under the umbrella called 'public policy.' Even a private firm cannot violate public policy.

This one isn't cut and dried. And if he chooses to pursue it, there could be an interesting result.

I would bet 100 rep points that A) there will not be a wrongful termination case and B) if there is an attempt at one it will be quickly dismissed.

Florida is an At Will state. There will be no wrongful termination case.

You might want to check that out. Even in "at will" states a person fired for cause can sue for wrongful termination. You can also sue for wrongful termination if your being fired 'without cause' is a thinly veiled attempt to disguise discriminaiton.

There was a situation in TN several years ago involving a male nurse and a psych patient. Now psych hospitals have a strict policy against fighting back if a patient assaults you. This nurse slugged the patient back, was fired, and they went for his license. The Nursing Board ruled after several years of litigation that the nurse had the right to defend himself, even though there was a policy in place that says you don't fight back. And it should be noted that in psych hospitals staff are taught how to defend themselves without fighting back.

I think it may be far fectched but there COULD be an equal protection question here. Now as it stands the equal protection clause only applies to the government, BUT there was a time when the equal rights laws only applied to the government. Over the years, the equal rights legislation has come to apply to the private sector under the umbrella called 'public policy.' Even a private firm cannot violate public policy.

This one isn't cut and dried. And if he chooses to pursue it, there could be an interesting result.

I would bet 100 rep points that A) there will not be a wrongful termination case and B) if there is an attempt at one it will be quickly dismissed.

You violate the rules they are justified in firing you. Pure and simple.

Forum List

Back